Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, we knew this was inevitable; Mankato feeling the pinch
Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
I feel for Mankato, I really do. But change is unavoidable. This facility in Eagan is top notch. It's absolutely beautiful. It is taking a little getting used to the size but they have added a lot of really nice touches. It has a different feel and vibe. It's all excitement in Eagan and sadness in Mankato. 
And I think the only charge is for parking too correct? Tix are free?

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
I feel for Mankato, I really do. But change is unavoidable. This facility in Eagan is top notch. It's absolutely beautiful. It is taking a little getting used to the size but they have added a lot of really nice touches. It has a different feel and vibe. It's all excitement in Eagan and sadness in Mankato. 
And I think the only charge is for parking too correct? Tix are free?

Right tickets are free. The only charge is for parking. Parking is only $10. Of course there is the team store, team vendors, concessions and food trucks. I think it's still reasonable. The concession prices are pretty good. I am looking forward to trying out the food trucks. 

Not sure how the team is 'getting away' from the fans in the move to Eagan. Its actually moved a lot closer to where the majority of fans are located, the Twin Cities. Its also a massive complex and had a whole field dedicated the other day to the kids and activities. The amenities are better, the facilities are much better. More to do and way more places to eat and drink. There is only one downside and that's how the move affects the Mankato economy for 3 weeks a year. People forget that training camp is what, 2 and a half weeks? Its very short.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Not sure how the team is 'getting away' from the fans in the move to Eagan. Its actually moved a lot closer to where the majority of fans are located, the Twin Cities. Its also a massive complex and had a whole field dedicated the other day to the kids and activities. The amenities are better, the facilities are much better. More to do and way more places to eat and drink. There is only one downside and that's how the move affects the Mankato economy for 3 weeks a year. People forget that training camp is what, 2 and a half weeks? Its very short.
I am expecting that camp will become more closed off in terms of access to the players,  hell it already has limited access in that you have to have tickets to see practice.  Maybe not, time will tell but so far everything the team has done to "improve" the facilities has come with costs for the fans in terms of their experience unless the team is profiting.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I am expecting that camp will become more closed off in terms of access to the players,  hell it already has limited access in that you have to have tickets to see practice.  Maybe not, time will tell but so far everything the team has done to "improve" the facilities has come with costs for the fans in terms of their experience unless the team is profiting.
The only limitations they've provided thus far is capacity...I think they are capping it right now at 5,000? Tickets are free, so that doesn't limit anything. The fan experience is better, not worse, because of the upgrade in facility and venue. They'll have 11 morning autograph sessions with players. 3 youth clinics on the adjacent field. One night practice that is always a big hit and they'll increase capacity that night. 2 practices on-site with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I just don't see the issue? 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
It is a change and businesses will have to adjust.  But I assume the businesses do quite well when the college students return to town.  Training camp was a big summer boost, but they likely marked up their prices and did quite well.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
The only limitations they've provided thus far is capacity...I think they are capping it right now at 5,000? Tickets are free, so that doesn't limit anything. The fan experience is better, not worse, because of the upgrade in facility and venue. They'll have 11 morning autograph sessions with players. 3 youth clinics on the adjacent field. One night practice that is always a big hit and they'll increase capacity that night. 2 practices on-site with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I just don't see the issue? 
well considering that the camp in kato was no tickets or advance planning required (free or otherwise) that would be limiting,  the season ticket holders have first shot at the tickets to camp is also limiting to the average fan.   as far as the new facility... is that open to the fans to just wander around (i have my suspicions that it isnt) so I dont see where that is a positive for the fan experience as it is more for the staff and players.  even with the expanded capacity IIRC the seating at TCO will still hold less as there were over 10,000 at the night practices in kato.  It might be more appealing for some to have it in the cities,  but IMO it will be hard to beat mankato for the fan.

Only people who have a right to complain IMHO are the business owners and workers in Mankato. They knew this was coming eventually, the team gave plenty of notice. The vikings stepped up with a great new facility that can help lure FA's here. The team is Minneapolis based, why not have training camp Minneapolis based??? Plus the top notch training and medical facilities I assume the team has there?

Seems like a positive move for everyone. It moved it an hour farther from me, but I still see it as a positive move.

Maybe we should of kept the Metrodome too! 

Training camp was the last vestige of the blue collar fan. Yes, it's still free... but most of the free tickets sold out nearly immediately. Not to mention, you have to plan ahead now. One of the most appealing parts of camp in the past was that you could just pop in on a whim. Now you're going to have to plan weeks in advance, at least.

Also, you used to be able to go to camp, and then saunter around Mankato on foot. Now, you're in the 'burbs, so you're going to have to drive everywhere.

From a business perspective, and from a player perspective, I completely understand. But let's not pretend this isn't less personal and intimate than Mankato was.