Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking's numbers that should be retired - Thoughts?
If I could, I'd unretire all the numbers and just retire the jersey instead...

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
I realize that There are varying opinions of retiring of numbers. Personally I don't have a problem with it, and actually like it - as long as its not given out like candy. But see what your saying.

I know that the Cowboys and Raiders have never retired a number for the same reasons you stated above. Al Davis liked seeing the old numbers on the field because it would bring back memories of the old players.

But for the sake of argument - IF you were to retire some other numbers, what would they be?
They die in that jersey like Special K.... they can take the number with them,  otherwise wash it, dry it,  and hang it back in the locker for the next guy to do great things with it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NorthernCalVike said:
I realize that There are varying opinions of retiring of numbers. Personally I don't have a problem with it, and actually like it - as long as its not given out like candy. But see what your saying.

I know that the Cowboys and Raiders have never retired a number for the same reasons you stated above. Al Davis liked seeing the old numbers on the field because it would bring back memories of the old players.

But for the sake of argument - IF you were to retire some other numbers, what would they be?
They die in that jersey like Special K.... they can take the number with them,  otherwise wash it, dry it,  and hang it back in the locker for the next guy to do great things with it.
At first I totally disagreed with you Jimmy, but the more I think about it, it makes perfect sense.  Well stated sir!! 

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I think retiring numbers is a very honorable idea, but, sometimes I wonder if eliminating a number kind of leads to eliminating memories.

84 and 93 are numbers that remind me of the men who wore them in the past every time I see them. They carry on that honor and legacy, and like C Patt, they can go down their own path with the number. 

I wonder how much more we might talk about Cris Carter or Fran Tarkenton if those numbers were issued and we saw the 80 out there, or the 10.

I wonder if the greats of yesterday could get more respect and recognition if people had some top of mind awareness by simply seeing the number out there on a gameday. As retired numbers, they are distant memories that become more and more obscure as the days go by.

I think a great player of yesterday will command attention through a current player wearing the same number. As it is now, the numbers are hung and forgotten about until someone runs a special or a stadium presentation is scheduled that game day.

Im just saying, with the honor that comes with a retired number, perhaps keeping numbers active would create more of a spotlight on these guys accomplishments and keep the respect free flowing.

I love this. I like the idea of bringing back memories of old players and I bet more would be brought up with there were still the numbers around. Great post.

I understand the desire, but I don't think anyone's number should be retired, except Korey Stringer.   The reality is, we will have many who deserve such an honor, but the ring of honor can do that too.  If we retired them, then surely, Moss, Peterson, Randle, McDaniel, Birk, Ed White, Ron Yary, Krause, Chad Greenway, Scott Studwell, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas and more deserve consideration.
I think the ring of honor and Viking museum should be enough recognition when you only have about 90 numbers to pick from.

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
I understand the desire, but I don't think anyone's number should be retired, except Korey Stringer.   The reality is, we will have many who deserve such an honor, but the ring of honor can do that too.  If we retired them, then surely, Moss, Peterson, Randle, McDaniel, Birk, Ed White, Ron Yary, Krause, Chad Greenway, Scott Studwell, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas and more deserve consideration.
I think the ring of honor and Viking museum should be enough recognition when you only have about 90 numbers to pick from.

I agree with this fully. There is only one guy, if you were going to retire a number, that deserves to have it retired and IMO that is Moss' number 84.

Quote: @Canthony said:
@Tom Moore said:

I agree with this fully. There is only one guy, if you were going to retire a number, that deserves to have it retired and IMO that is Moss' number 84.
No way.  He wasn't even a Viking for about half his career. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@Tom Moore said:

Randy Moss is and always will be associated with the Vikings. Anyone outside of Boston will probably think of the Vikings when they hear Randy Moss.

Quote: @Canthony said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@Tom Moore said:

Randy Moss is and always will be associated with the Vikings. Anyone outside of Boston will probably think of the Vikings when they hear Randy Moss.
His wiki page picture even has him in a patriot uniform....and if a retired number is the ultimate sign of respect an organization can show a player for their contributions to their organization I think the Vikings have far more deserving players than Randy. 

If its just one number, it should be #88...its not even close...NFL MVP as a DT...if Elias ever went back to make it official, his 26 sacks in 71..in 14games...would still be the single season record...4 Super Bowls...team of the decade...on and off the field...exemplary...