Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst of bad NFL contracts: The overpaid and underachieving
I remember Jimmy K tripping-up on what appeared to be a blade of grass more than once lol! That said, he was like having another OT out there in the run game. 

Agree, if Rudy is our "worst contract" than trader Rick is doing ok.

Looking forward, I see a # of Vikings that will need to take a contract re-do in order to stay. Rudolph is probably on that list. 

A few ex-Vikes make the list of bad contracts led by the 49'ers deal with McKinnon.  Giants with Ellison and the Panthers with Kalil make the list.

Quote: @minny65 said:
A few ex-Vikes make the list of bad contracts led by the 49'ers deal with McKinnon.  Giants with Ellison and the Panthers with Kalil make the list.
Ellison's dad disagrees vehemently.

Its a bit early to say Jets deal is bad,  but ellison and kalil are perfect examples of Rick knowing when to fold em.

McKinnon's getting a lotta RB1 love on some fantasy sites I see. One has him as high as number 11 overall. He should do well in Shanahan's offense, but that's just nuts. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
This is something I heard discussed on KFAN this morning.  Some like to dog Rick about hitting on players,  but in terms of giving out contracts to players that work out, the Vikings are near the top of the league.   of that 3 million Jarius Wright is about 2/3 of that,  and its only 4 or 5 total players making up the remaining million or less.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

TeamCap 
Space
Effective Cap 
Space ℹ️
#Active 
Cap Spending
Dead 
Money
Buccaneers$14,385,757$14,385,75790$179,283,893$815,506
Bengals$14,953,558$14,953,55891$172,072,628$1,299,032
Colts$52,050,050$52,050,05091$138,908,904$1,953,636
Broncos$9,728,434$9,728,43491$176,315,958$2,481,548
Vikings$17,322,176$17,322,17691$169,731,239$2,988,150
It's easy to limit your dead money when you're losing. It's worth mentioning that the teams ahead of the Vikings on this list went 5-11, 4-12, 7-9 and 5-11 in 2017. Vikings went 13-3. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Its a bit early to say Jets deal is bad,  but ellison and kalil are perfect examples of Rick knowing when to fold em.
I disagree, Jets Cap hit is 10.5 million this year which is the second highest for a RB in the NFL behind Leveon Bell which is insane for a guy that has never carried the load.  Now his average salary is around 7.5 for the 4 years which is 4th ranked right now behind Bell, Freeman and McCoy. 

Happy we were never in the ball park to resign a situation player.  The 49'ers see something I never saw with the Vikings.   

@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
I disagree, Jets Cap hit is 10.5 million this year which is the second highest for a RB in the NFL behind Leveon Bell which is insane for a guy that has never carried the load.  Now his average salary is around 7.5 for the 4 years which is 4th ranked right now behind Bell, Freeman and McCoy. 

Happy we were never in the ball park to resign a situation player.  The 49'ers see something I never saw with the Vikings.   
I dont care about the money until i see how they are going to use him.  i expect it to be a bust but i will give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe they will make Jet more of a weapon than he has been here.  I know I thought we could have used him better in the passing game at times.

@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:

The 49ers cap hit next year is $4.5M, which flattens the average back out to 7.5M/year in real short order and they can cut him for 1.5M dead money.  I don't see the point in chastizing them for what is clearly just cap management for them.  They put a bunch of money up front so they have more flexibility next year and aren't locked into a bad contract.  I also don't see Jet as being worth $7.5M a year, but you see it every year.  Prices just go up, and mediocre players get paid like the elite guys from a couple years ago.

Again, happy the Vikings didn't entertain anywhere near those numbers for McKinnon.