Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was your favorite Vikings Season?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@njvike said:
@suncoastvike said:
Vanguard beat me to it. 1987. I mean they all ended in heartbreak so why not the season we did some heartbreaking. 

First up. Who'dat think they gonna beat them Saints. We Who! 

Then on to San Fran. The game to up set the yet to be crowned 1987 champs. It was just a formality to beat us and host the NFC championship in San Francisco, a mere speed bump...Named Athony Carter. Even Joe Montana took a seat in that one. Benched Joe Cool, 1st time for everything I guess.
What a fun ride.
Agreed, the 1987 team and its really not close. '98 second.

The '87 squad were underdogs and served up consecutive road ass whoopings on the Saints and 49ers ( I think they were both 12 or 13 win teams) and then took the eventual SB champion Redskins to the wire in a hard fought, commendable loss, also on the road. 

The 1987 squad remains the last Viking team that has managed to win at least 2 playoff games in a single post season....that's FORTY YEARS ago, boys and girls.

Why is that significant? Because a team needs to WIN 3 or 4 consecutive post season games to win a championship. The Vikings current playoff drought is the primary reason I don't kneel at the altar of Saint Richard. Show me some consistent playoff success and I'll not only kneel, I'll sing in the choir and fill the collection basket as well!

Happy 4th, all. God Bless America, still the greatest country in modern history, despite the left leaning public and media determined to convince everyone otherwise! 

Peace.
30 years,  but still a dry spell.
Oops. Thinking 4 decades. 

For me it's '87. The crushing of the highly favored Saints in New Orleans followed by the destruction of the 49ers at Candlestick was probably the greatest two weeks of my Viking life. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@njvike said:
@suncoastvike said:
Vanguard beat me to it. 1987. I mean they all ended in heartbreak so why not the season we did some heartbreaking. 

First up. Who'dat think they gonna beat them Saints. We Who! 

Then on to San Fran. The game to up set the yet to be crowned 1987 champs. It was just a formality to beat us and host the NFC championship in San Francisco, a mere speed bump...Named Athony Carter. Even Joe Montana took a seat in that one. Benched Joe Cool, 1st time for everything I guess.
What a fun ride.
Agreed, the 1987 team and its really not close. '98 second.

The '87 squad were underdogs and served up consecutive road ass whoopings on the Saints and 49ers ( I think they were both 12 or 13 win teams) and then took the eventual SB champion Redskins to the wire in a hard fought, commendable loss, also on the road. 

The 1987 squad remains the last Viking team that has managed to win at least 2 playoff games in a single post season....that's FORTY YEARS ago, boys and girls.

Why is that significant? Because a team needs to WIN 3 or 4 consecutive post season games to win a championship. The Vikings current playoff drought is the primary reason I don't kneel at the altar of Saint Richard. Show me some consistent playoff success and I'll not only kneel, I'll sing in the choir and fill the collection basket as well!

Happy 4th, all. God Bless America, still the greatest country in modern history, despite the left leaning public and media determined to convince everyone otherwise! 

Peace.
30 years,  but still a dry spell.
Yeah... no adding years in. They're going fast enough already. As you say this is still a disturbing dry spell.
2008-2009 is the last time we've made back to back playoff appearances. There's a smaller spell that also needs breaking this year.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
For me it's '87. The crushing of the highly favored Saints in New Orleans followed by the destruction of the 49ers at Candlestick was probably the greatest two weeks of my Viking life. 
No Probably about it.

Let me put in a pitch for 1976.  Fran was coming off of an MVP season and, of course, the team was coming off of that heartbreaking push-off defeat at the hands of the refs, er, Drew Pearson, and the Cowboys.  A team that was loaded with talent still near its prime (Page, Eller, Marshall) was joined by super back Chuck Foreman, who was becoming a pass-catching machine.  In walks Sammy White, the gliding speedster, to give this team a deep option to go with the check down game to Foreman and the possession skills of Ahmad Rashad, whom the Viking picked up for a song in a trade just before the season started.  White won rookie of the year; Foreman was offensive MVP in the NFC.  The team went 11-2-1 and blitzed the Skins and the Rams in the playoffs.  That was a fun year, and promised to wipe out the demons of the previous Super Bowl losses and the stain of the hail mary defeat the year before.  That was, of course, until they spit the bit on my 10th birthday, losing badly to the Raiders (the Raiders!) and forever damaging my soul  :'(

Truth be told, though, I would probably rank the seasons: 1998; 1976; 1987; 2009; 1975

This is going to sound weird, but mine is 06.  2006 was the year I rekindled my love of the Vikes. A team that saw Brad Johnson on his second go round, Chester Taylor breaking off a huge run in Seattle, and well....not much else.  Unless you count Chilly cutting a guy on Christmas eve.  I remember flipping through the channels and catching the first game of the season on Monday Night Football.  It was us vs the Skins, and it was a really close game.  Darren Sharper (POS) laid a huge hit on a guy in the end zone to seal the Vikes win.  I think I have missed 1 or 2 games since then, and its mostly due to local channels love of the Pack and Bears.  Thank god for how far broadband internet has came since then.

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Let me put in a pitch for 1976.  Fran was coming off of an MVP season and, of course, the team was coming off of that heartbreaking push-off defeat at the hands of the refs, er, Drew Pearson, and the Cowboys.  A team that was loaded with talent still near its prime (Page, Eller, Marshall) was joined by super back Chuck Foreman, who was becoming a pass-catching machine.  In walks Sammy White, the gliding speedster, to give this team a deep option to go with the check down game to Foreman and the possession skills of Ahmad Rashad, whom the Viking picked up for a song in a trade just before the season started.  White won rookie of the year; Foreman was offensive MVP in the NFC.  The team went 11-2-1 and blitzed the Skins and the Rams in the playoffs.  That was a fun year, and promised to wipe out the demons of the previous Super Bowl losses and the stain of the hail mary defeat the year before.  That was, of course, until they spit the bit on my 10th birthday, losing badly to the Raiders (the Raiders!) and forever damaging my soul  :'(

Truth be told, though, I would probably rank the seasons: 1998; 1976; 1987; 2009; 1975

[Image: lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F3%2F4%2F5%2F153459...t.chain%5D]

I was 10 that '76 season too

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:

Good for you PB!

Last of the SB appearances by our heroes of the 70's. Hard to argue a team is past its prime when it makes a SB appearance, but I do believe the Vikings D had it's hey-day a few years earlier. 

Shell, Upshaw, The Snake etc. really man-handled them that game. I still dislike Madden to this day and in spite of my disappointment that game, I sure hope The Snake is resting in peace. 

The next one, until we win a Super Bowl.