Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word Association round three - what word pops in the 'ol Grey Matter
Arrogant

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Say what you will, he was fun to watch on the field.

When you're 8 years old and watching him run Merlin, Lamar, Deacon and Rosey in circles...kinda fun.
a lot of playes have been fun to watch,  I still wouldnt view many of them with much adoration 40 years later if they turned out to be butt heads in real life.
Understand completely. As a Vikings fan growing up around Rams fans and watching them fall to the Vikings in the post-season, was a blast.  When I found out about Tark's father passing away at the end of the Hail Mary game, I think that cemented my following this team.  Strange though I still have hard feelings toward Robert Smith...to each his own I guess. (For all the talk about how smart the guy was, you'd think he'd understand situational football....TWICE!)

As a kid I once asked Conrad Dobler for an autograph (ever so politely of course)...Now THAT GUY was an ass hat.

I think this one is interesting because of the varying views. He is a polarizing figure. I understand the significance to Vikings history. So yeah as an athlete, there is one side. But as a person, there is a distinctly different side.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Say what you will, he was fun to watch on the field.

When you're 8 years old and watching him run Merlin, Lamar, Deacon and Rosey in circles...kinda fun.
He was my hero. Had his jersey, his poster on the wall. My mom once asked me if Fran was ever traded would I be a fan of that team or the Vikings. The answer was the Vikings, but I remember giving it some thought. All that changed when I saw how he conducted himself and some of the things he wrote in his post-football life. We're not talking Trump-level shithead here, but I think he's a bit of a self-absorbed dick. 

Son-of-a-preacher-man

SB's

That was the norm back in the day...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
SB's

Don't you mean SB losses was the norm back in the day?  I can't imagine the torture of being on the door step, door is open once again,  and just as you start to walk through it....slam! In your face once again.  I've often wondered how that was from a bills fans perspective after 4 in a row.

I guess I want to change my word.
Should have been...Hate??
I get it he wasn't a likeable guy. He was a brutal business partner I've heard. He didn't interact well with fans. Some of these thing probably are a result of my new word.
Competitor - ok just didn't "pop" in there. Some of you put it there.

Seeing and hearing him talk about Mick Tingelhoff says maybe he's softened some with age. Maybe he has some regrets past just not winning the Super Bowl.

Great

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
SB's

Don't you mean SB losses was the norm back in the day?  I can't imagine the torture of being on the door step, door is open once again,  and just as you start to walk through it....slam! In your face once again.  I've often wondered how that was from a bills fans perspective after 4 in a row.
Painful yes, but we had a chance to win it all. That's all you can ask. 

I'll take that over 87,98,02,09,2018 every single time.