• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter Extended
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

thats all we know for now.
Wow - much higher than I expected.  Hope he earns it. 
It's slightly less than Everson's extension from last year in terms of average salary per year, but Hunter received more guaranteed money.  I call that a win considering Everson is older and is already on his 2nd extension, while Hunter is what...  24 years old and just entering his prime?  This deal doesn't even get Hunter into the top 5 salaries for DEs in the NFL...  he could have easily reset the DE market if he was able to hit free agency after this season.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

What were you expecting exactly? Its a top 10 DE contract and certainly could have been higher. No DE that has entered the league since 2015 has more sacks than Hunter.
Just suprised he already is valued that high.  I like him, but I don't think he's considered one of the best DEs in the league.  In three seasons he's had one with double digit sacks (12.5).  He was down to 7 last season, and seemed to disappear after Griff hurt his foot.  That's why I said I hope he earns it.  I don't think last season was his best season so far in his young career.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

It's slightly less than Everson's extension from last year in terms of average salary per year, but Hunter received more guaranteed money.  I call that a win considering Everson is older and is already on his 2nd extension, while Hunter is what...  24 years old and just entering his prime?  This deal doesn't even get Hunter into the top 5 salaries for DEs in the NFL...  he could have easily reset the DE market if he was able to hit free agency after this season.

It's crazy how much money these guys get, but I guess they deserve it.  They're high paid entertainers, and any accident could end their careers.  Hunter has all the potential in the world, and I hope he continues to improve. 

and...and we dont know the exact layout of the deal...  this could be an extension that raises his base this year a little and then brings down the next 4 years to a manageable number with the 5th year being a throw away all together?

@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

What were you expecting exactly? Its a top 10 DE contract and certainly could have been higher. No DE that has entered the league since 2015 has more sacks than Hunter.
Just suprised he already is valued that high.  I like him, but I don't think he's considered one of the best DEs in the league.  In three seasons he's had one with double digit sacks (12.5).  He was down to 7 last season, and seemed to disappear after Griff hurt his foot.  That's why I said I hope he earns it.  I don't think last season was his best season so far in his young career.
Contracts are never really about what you've done as much as what you're expected to do. And the expectations for Hunter as a 23-year-old pass rusher who works his ass off...are enormous. 

@Wetlander said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

It's crazy how much money these guys get, but I guess they deserve it.  They're high paid entertainers, and any accident could end their careers.  Hunter has all the potential in the world, and I hope he continues to improve. 
Don't look just at sacks but pressures too.  He is up there on that front and last year was his first starting and he played something like 78% of the snaps. 

He is proven IMO already and at age 23 has a TON of upside.  He would probably get a lot more waiting a year.

@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

Looking strictly at 4-3 base ends he is a top 10 player talent/production wise and has the upside to be the best in the NFL. That warrants a top contract. He'd get $16M+ as a UFA 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
72 million over 5 years
40 million guaranteed
15 million signing bonus

Looking strictly at 4-3 base ends he is a top 10 player talent/production wise and has the upside to be the best in the NFL. That warrants a top contract. He'd get $16M+ as a UFA 
so have you heard the structure of the extension yet?  how much is real money per year and how much is make believe?

This is awesome news, really glad this is the first one they got out of the way.  Definitely don't think they overpaid him at all. 

I'm expecting Diggs to be next in line.

This was a brilliant signing...he easily could have made far more in the market...with two players left to go we really only need to sign one and if we want to, tag the other...