Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT - Walleye Fishing the Columbia River Gorge
Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
kent is that where the deschutes empties in or farther up?
Yes, we weren’t fishing far from the Deschutes inlet, between there and Celilo Park.

Have a couple friends from work that fish up that way. The walleye are huge and plentiful. Hope you had a great time.

Nothing wrong with getting a guide, Kentis.  Those things are huge!  I go on a guided trip to Northwest Angle, MN when fising Lake of the Woods.  We often fish both Canada and Minnesota waters on the same day, and having a good guy that knows how to find fish is awesome.  We often run into weekend warriors up there without guides that get skunked while we've caught over 100 walleyes in our 2.5 day trip (plus awesome shore lunches).  Totally worth it.

Actually unbelievably they have no walleye limit there! They consider walleye roughfish up there, ha ha ha! Our guide Walleye Willie has a 10 fish/person limit on his boat. My two friends & I, plus our guide, brought in 40 nice fish by 1pm. Yes, @Purplemachine, they are fat & plentiful, averaging from 2-4lbs. The wind though can be a factor in that huge gorge, we couldn’t safely get on the water on Saturday, but we sure made up for it on Sunday! There are trophy sized fish in there, but we were fishin’ for food!  B)

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Actually unbelievably they have no walleye limit there! They consider walleye roughfish up there, ha ha ha! Our guide Walleye Willie has a 10 fish/person limit on his boat. My two friends & I, plus our guide, brought in 40 nice fish by 1pm. Yes, @Purplemachine, they are fat & plentiful, averaging from 2-4lbs. The wind though can be a factor in that huge gorge, we couldn’t safely get on the water on Saturday, but we sure made up for it on Sunday! There are trophy sized fish in there, but we were fishin’ for food!  B)
That is insane,   what the hell do they usually fish for that they dont want the eyes?  about the only thing I like better for fresh water fish that I have had is perch.   the colder the water the better,  i dont really like any fish that comes out of warm water.  Halibut is my favorite, and then probably good Cod.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Kentis" said:
That is insane,   what the hell do they usually fish for that they dont want the eyes?  about the only thing I like better for fresh water fish that I have had is perch.   the colder the water the better,  i dont really like any fish that comes out of warm water.  Halibut is my favorite, and then probably good Cod.
Salmom & Trout I guess. :o We just had walleye for dinner, for the first time in like 20 yrs, & it’s still the most delicious fresh water fish, Imo. I’m with you Jimmy, Walleye & Halibut are my favorites too!
[Image: dbm5wxb63j8h.jpeg]
This will just have to hold us ‘til our next trip!  Wink B)

NO LIMIT???????????????? WTF!!!
You know, I have always wanted to go to Oregon for many, many, many reasons. I never thought I'd add walleye fishing to the list! That is too awesome!
OMG they don't know what rough fish are over there! Come to Sakakawea and catch some skip jacks, carp, drums or sucker fish!!! Now that's rough fish!

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Salmom & Trout I guess. :o We just had walleye for dinner, for the first time in like 20 yrs, & it’s still the most delicious fresh water fish, Imo. I’m with you Jimmy, Walleye & Halibut are my favorites too!
[Image: dbm5wxb63j8h.jpeg]
This will just have to hold us ‘til our next trip!  Wink B)
WOW!

I better now show this to Tud or we will be planning a father son trip to the great northwest for some fishing.

There’s sturgeon fishing in this area as well, great fishery!

After recently moving to Greenville I am missing fishing quite a bit.  I owned a boat in Hawaii for 12 years with a ton of Mahi, Ono, Ahi and of course marlin.  The biggest was 538lbs.

Fished BC Canada the last few years on our sailboat and cuaght a lot of salmon and halibut.  Amazing how much better the fishing is up there than in the states.  I fished the Puget sound for 12 years and Canada was a lot better.

Not a fan of freshwater fish but i can easily enjoy trout and especially Walleye.  I was in Minnesota and stopped at a Culvers and was surprised to see it on their menu.  I was then surprised to find a Culvers here in Greenville but was disappointed that there is no Walleye on the menu.

Found frozen walleye at a local Wallmart but it was $12.70 a pound!  
I dont know if I am going to last here.