Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings' roster is strong; some tough decisions coming up ...
I think Ham can be the 3rd RB too.   He is very flexible on position as a FB or RB.

Treadwell will stay too.  Outside shot he gets traded but only an outside chance.

If treddy can't separate himself from the rest of the fodder in training camp, separate him from the team.  Cut your losses and give a possible PLAYER a shot.
We don't need another TW scenario where he's only a poorly thought out decoy and speed bump to block opposing dbs

Quote: @"Akvike" said:
If treddy can't separate himself from the rest of the fodder in training camp, separate him from the team.  Cut your losses and give a possible PLAYER a shot.
We don't need another TW scenario where he's only a poorly thought out decoy and speed bump to block opposing dbs

But who do you really think is going to push ahead of him among our WRs? Thielen, Diggs, and Wright are the only locks for the roster. Then maybe Stacy Coley is ahead of Treadwell...MAYBE. Yes I am hopeful, but Coley had a reputation for coasting at Miami, so we have to see that he's still committed after a year in the NFL. Even so, that's only 4 guys who may be ahead of Treadwell.
Brandon Zylstra, Cayleb Jones, and Jake Wieneke are all as slow as Treadwell but have less NFL or Vikings experience. Tavarres King is on his 6th team, has been in the NFL 5 years and has only 1 more career catch than Treadwell has caught in 2 years.
Cutting Treadwell would save no money or cap space, so he won't get cut unless there are 6 WRs on the roster who are clearly better than him. I don't see more than 4 who are better, and the Vikings didn't feel a need to draft any WRs to compete with him. He doesn't even turn 23 until next month, either.
Plan on Treadwell being a Viking through 2019. I didn't like picking him either, but they shouldn't cut him just so we can quit regretting the pick. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Akvike" said:

But who do you really think is going to push ahead of him among our WRs? Thielen, Diggs, and Wright are the only locks for the roster. Then maybe Stacy Coley is ahead of Treadwell...MAYBE. Yes I am hopeful, but Coley had a reputation for coasting at Miami, so we have to see that he's still committed after a year in the NFL. Even so, that's only 4 guys who may be ahead of Treadwell.
Brandon Zylstra, Cayleb Jones, and Jake Wieneke are all as slow as Treadwell but have less NFL or Vikings experience. Tavarres King is on his 6th team, has been in the NFL 5 years and has only 1 more career catch than Treadwell has caught in 2 years.
Cutting Treadwell would save no money or cap space, so he won't get cut unless there are 6 WRs on the roster who are clearly better than him. I don't see more than 4 who are better, and the Vikings didn't feel a need to draft any WRs to compete with him. He doesn't even turn 23 until next month, either.
Plan on Treadwell being a Viking through 2019. I didn't like picking him either, but they shouldn't cut him just so we can quit regretting the pick. 
I am not sure he is better than some of the others you listed.  Zylstra led the CFL in receiving yards last year which is impressive.

I think the best move the team could make is to trade him to a team instead of cutting him.  But they need to do it before Jume 1st in order to avoid any 2019 cap hit.

Treadwell would be a hit against the cap if they cut him this year. I don't think they get any relief that way on his contract this year, which means he'll get every chance to hold on. Which sucks.

If Treadwell gets cut, and another team signs him, we will only be on the hook for the difference between what the other team is paying him and what his guaranteed money from us is.  This is the "offset" language in rookie contracts that we hear a lot about.  Typically, that player will sign with another team for the minimum, but if they want to sign him for multiple years (??), then we might save more than that.  We could save all of his cap number if some sucker would actually take him off our hands in trade.  It might cost us a seventh round pick.  

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Akvike" said:

I am not sure he is better than some of the others you listed.  Zylstra led the CFL in receiving yards last year which is impressive.

I think the best move the team could make is to trade him to a team instead of cutting him.  But they need to do it before Jume 1st in order to avoid any 2019 cap hit.
Leading the CFL doesn't mean shit,  different rules, different field,  different game with much lower talent level.  Remember how excited people have gotten in the past with CFL studs coming south....Remember how most of those stories have turned out?

Maybe there is something to the kid,  but his CFL stats just say that he can catch a football,  which pretty much anybody can do.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Akvike" said:

Leading the CFL doesn't mean shit,  different rules, different field,  different game with much lower talent level.  Remember how excited people have gotten in the past with CFL studs coming south....Remember how most of those stories have turned out?

Maybe there is something to the kid,  but his CFL stats just say that he can catch a football,  which pretty much anybody can do.
Don't know why you need the profanity but whatever.  You can down play the kids accomplishments all you want.

But many receivers go to the CFL and try to catch on and do not lead the league in receiving yards.

Very few make it to the NFL.

It still is more impressive than Treadwell putting in the record books (for all time) under his name, two full seasons with 21 catches for 215 yards and zero TDs.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Akvike" said:

I think I got to agree with you here. Talent level is nowhere equal. The rare few over the years that became stars in the NFL after leaving Canada really give a false impression. Maybe a group of less sung former CFL' s have become solid contributing role players on NFL rosters. Many more practice squad guys have greater impacts in the NFL. If they opted for the CFL maybe even bigger stars up there.
Different game with far less talent.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Akvike" said:

Don't know why you need the profanity but whatever.  You can down play the kids accomplishments all you want.

But many receivers go to the CFL and try to catch on and do not lead the league in receiving yards.

Very few make it to the NFL.

It still is more impressive than Treadwell putting in the record books (for all time) under his name, two full seasons with 21 catches for 215 yards and zero TDs.
To he fair,  1 person a year leads the CFL in receiving,  how many of those guys transition to the nfl?  I honestly don't know,  but I am guessing not many.  I'm not pissing on the kid,  just saying that leading the CFL in anything isnt much of an endorsement for me anymore.  He may come in and actually do something or he might be another Manny arceneaux or what ever the last ones name was.