Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes exercise 5th year option on Waynes...
I have this feeling Waynes could have a big year - at least statistically. I think he will gamble for INTs a bit more than Rhodes, at least now that he is more comfortable. and he's going to get a lot of opportunities.

Waynes played huge last year,  sure Rhodes were closed,  but I dont think teams really wanted to go at Waynes either.  The dude flat out balled at a high ass level.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Waynes played huge last year,  sure Rhodes were closed,  but I dont think teams really wanted to go at Waynes either.  The dude flat out balled at a high ass level.
I pretty much have stopped guessing at who will do well.  I didnt consider Griff was capable of filling Allen’s shoes and I was very wrong about that. I like being wrong.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
IIRC the first couple of games he was picked on, but he certainly stepped up opposite of Rhodes as the season went on.

Maybe the Vikings are thinking next  year  Waynes gets offers that are  two high to match so we  franchise and trade  Waynes next year  at least receiving   better compensating and then highs takes over Waynes spot  .

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
IIRC the first couple of games he was picked on, but he certainly stepped up opposite of Rhodes as the season went on.
I seem to recall Waynes becoming a stout open-field tackler as the season went on, which can be rare in CBs.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I seem to recall Waynes becoming a stout open-field tackler as the season went on, which can be rare in CBs.
He was, and funny, that was the knock on him coming out of college.  Rhodes brings lots of punch to his hits and this season Waynes really seemed to take pride in tackling.

I like Waynes, he’s taken a lot of abuse around herebut has rounded into a really good CB. Hopefully the Vikings are able to sign him long term reasonably.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
I like Waynes, he’s taken a lot of abuse around herebut has rounded into a really good CB. Hopefully the Vikings are able to sign him long term reasonably.
I never gave him any abuse, but I was not his biggest fan early on. He could run with any receiver but he could not find the ball and would panic and interfere or let the ball pass him uncontested for a catch. I thought he had a low ceiling. But he has improved every year.

And to think, if he had been picked one spot earlier, his fifth year option would be $12M.

The biggest compliment I can give Waynes is that he seems coachable.  He has all the physical tools you'd want in a CB, but he was getting burned by NFL WRs his rookie season and also had many flags thrown his way for holding or interference.  Zim had to be patient and work with him, and Trae wanted/accepted getting coached up. 

He's now a very solid CB, maybe never considered an All-Pro level like Rhodes, but still a very solid #2.