Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Vikings nail Day 3 of the draft?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Ask me in 3 years.
did we hit on day three draft from 2015?

Quote: @HappyViking said:
There isn't a single player they drafted that I've ever heard of before.  That really doesn't mean much though because I don't follow draft prospects hardly at all.  Also, I remember a few years ago they drafted some safety from Notre Dame named Harrison Smith that I never heard of.  I think that one worked out fairly well. B)
One day I watched Justin Blackmon in the Sports Science Lab & was convinced he was the next Randy Moss. That didn’t work out fairly well

Quote: @pumpf said:
None of us can really (or honestly) say whether or not the Vikings had a good draft or not.  As Jimmy said, we won't know that for at least a year or 2.  We were a Super Bowl contending team last year... so, obviously, there aren't going to be alot of holes to fill.  So, it appears we attempted to strengthen our depth.  I guess we'll see in a couple years whether or not this was a good draft.
Well obviously no one knows what the furure will bring.   Thats pretty obvious.  But there are other ways at guessing such as, did they get any possible starters?  And did they fill any of the teams most immediate needs?  
I guess we can say it was very successful in that they got all of their picks in on time!  Whew Wooot!   Now that was some solid drafting!

At least the Gossett and Holmes picks seem like both sense and value.  OTOH we traded up for a kicker and didn't draft an RB when we only have 2 on the roster.  Akrum Wadley had 2 1,000+ seasons, catches passes and returns. Think he could have contributed.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Ask me in 3 years.
I will say yes.  Getting 1 starter in 4 or 5 picks is pretty good imo for day 3.

Quote: @pumpf said:
None of us can really (or honestly) say whether or not the Vikings had a good draft or not.  As Jimmy said, we won't know that for at least a year or 2.  We were a Super Bowl contending team last year... so, obviously, there aren't going to be alot of holes to fill.  So, it appears we attempted to strengthen our depth.  I guess we'll see in a couple years whether or not this was a good draft.
That and the fact that I haven't watched hardly any college ball the last couple years and did almost no draft stuff this spring.... I really don't know of any of those guys except the kicker....and his story is a bit of a mixed bag.

I am not going to rail for or against this crop of kids until they have had their days in the sun....not sure why I got a thumbs down for my response above but to each their own.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Ask me in 3 years.
I will say yes.  Getting 1 starter in 4 or 5 picks is pretty good imo for day 3.
I think Diggs makes it a yes
Hunter makes it a bonus

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Ask me in 3 years.
I think Diggs makes it a yes
Hunter makes it a bonus

hunter was a 3rd rounder wasn't he?

our UDFA class looks like we could have killed it. In the NFL, players come up from all over. You either try too hard (Ponder) or overlook pure football players and they end up as late round or UDFAs. Hercules has such a quick burst and nose for the ball I think he will be a huge find if we can get him a position on the DL. Hill looks like another Richard Sherman if he can stay away from the hooey for a few days.
Our draft class doesn't give me goosebumps, but hey, if we are picking in the final 4 from now on... I bet it won't be full of big names for a long time. We will need to get used to guys like O'neill, Aruna, and Carlson who maybe "down the road" kind of guys. Hell, if Kirk can work, then the draft picks will too.

I think it was another solid and conservative draft for the organization.  
Some of The UDFA signings are intriguing:

WRs: Korey Robertson, Armanti Foreman, Jake Wieneke, Jeff Badet ALL have solid tape.
Why draft DJ Chark in The Second when you can sign a guy who run SUB 4.2 as an UDFA??

TEs:  The Tylers.  Conklin and Hoppes.  Both are receiving threats, but I think Conklin plays This Year.  I have a feeling Cousins and Conklin are gonna be a big time conneciton on game day.  I like Conklin as much as Goedert, and see them as athletically similar.

RB: Roc Thomas and Pettway will get legitimate chances.  The ability is there.

So, Day Three is the most fun for me.  They sign like 20 guys.

This Roster is going to be strong through the last practice squad member.

GM did his job.