Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings trade Anthony Barr?
If I were to trade any of these 4 going into the final year of their deals, it would be Barr.  We're already paying Kendricks 10 million per and have handed out big contracts to Harry, Rhodes, Linval, and Everson in recent years.  Hunter is a keeper and will get re-signed, but at some point we can't pay our entire starting defense 10+ million.
Barr has quite a bit of trade value as well...  good cover LB that can rush the passer.  26 years old.  3 straight Pro Bowls.  He could easily net us a 1st round pick + an additional mid-round pick or two 2nd round picks.  We could likely draft his replacement in Lorenzo Carter with our first round pick.
However, I have a feeling that Brez has a plan to fit all these guys under the cap unless someone wants ridiculous money...  Spielman has said that they project their cap plans out 2 years.  If they knew ahead of time they were going to allocate a big contract to a QB this year, you can bet that they've looked at a bunch of different scenarios to retain Kendricks, Barr, Diggs, and Hunter before they are FAs.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Bullazin said:
I really like this idea and Collins was the blueprint.  Smelicheck would even be a good trade partner for Barr, but i doubt he would give up
his second, much less a first.  Barr has potential as an edge player but i dont see him as a pro bowl player.  if i could get a second i would be all over it

Barr has made 3 straight Pro Bowls... 
I was just about to say that. He made the pro bowl his last three seasons. And was a PFF runner up for DROY his first. He's 26 years old, on his first contract, a former 9th overall pick who, despite whatever flaws he might have, has clearly proven worthy of the pick. If we took a 2nd rounder for him, I'd start flaming the torches. 

One could argue that a proven, 26-year-old, 3-time Pro Bowler is worth more than whoever you could draft at #9 this year, or even #1. But sadly it doesn't work that way. Draft picks are valued way, WAY more than they're actually worth. A good third of those top 10 picks will be busts. But I guess everyone thinks they're not going to be the team who drafts one. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Bullazin said:
I really like this idea and Collins was the blueprint.  Smelicheck would even be a good trade partner for Barr, but i doubt he would give up
his second, much less a first.  Barr has potential as an edge player but i dont see him as a pro bowl player.  if i could get a second i would be all over it

I was just about to say that. He made the pro bowl his last three seasons. And was a PFF runner up for DROY his first. He's 26 years old, on his first contract, a former 9th overall pick who, despite whatever flaws he might have, has clearly proven worthy of the pick. If we took a 2nd rounder for him, I'd start flaming the torches. 

One could argue that a proven, 26-year-old, 3-time Pro Bowler is worth more than whoever you could draft at #9 this year, or even #1. But sadly it doesn't work that way. Draft picks are valued way, WAY more than they're actually worth. A good third of those top 10 picks will be busts. But I guess everyone thinks they're not going to be the team who drafts one. 
while you are correct,   it still stands that now that we are in the ridiculous QB contract club,  we wont be able to keep everybody,  maybe they can squeek through this group,  but that will just put even more pressure to be able to keep the guys next year or the following year.   another area that can already see issue with is that of quality back ups,  we are at the point that we can't afford to miss on pretty much any draft picks as we absolutely must have those cheap contract guys contributing on the team to offset the big contracts. 

outside of having to pay a massive QB contract (which we would have anyway if Teddy had worked out) this is really a great position to be in,  so much talent,  want to keep it all,  but will likely be forced to let it walk or trade it away for future potential. 

First, above all, try NOT to trade ANY of these players. All are young and have been productive and are excellent "scheme fits" for the Vikings coaching staff. What is this panic over having players who are under contract for "only" the next 10 months?? Kendricks gets signed and if the rest are not done within a week, people assume the negotiations have soured. Perhaps these deals will be negotiated serially, not all at once. Besides, I'm sick of the "New England Plan". Know what the Pats' blueprint is? Luck into a generational QB + play in a division that's been historically weak for two decades.
But if this is just a fun "who would you trade if you had to" game, I'll play. So: seriously, Barr?? What is the fallback plan to replace him - Eric Wilson?? (I actually do like Wilson, as a part-time WLB/S...) People talk about being thin at DE, but we are thinner at LB: Kendricks and Barr are our 2 starters, everyone else is a part-timer. And where do you find a LB with Barr's physical attributes? Sometimes there is 1 in each draft and they are top 10 picks.
If we had to trade 1 of the 3, it would be Hunter. (But I know some people will act like I suggested we shoot a dog.) Sure, he has great potential, but a lot of it is still potential. And- doesn't everyone love Brian Robison? So we have a great replacement on the roster. And- aren't the Vikings coaches, Zimmer and Patterson in particular, reputed for molding raw DEs like Hunter into pass rushers? Didn't they acquire Hunter, Griffen, and Robison in the 3rd and 4th rounds? Oh, and they already have 3 raw physical project players (Weatherly, Bower, Odenigbo) in development. 
Personally, if the Vikings actually want to free up some cap space and get another draft pick or two, I would trade Everson Griffen: $11.6M, 30 years old, still valuable around the league. Give Robison a year at DRE (rotating with Weatherly or a draft pick). 
I don't think we need to have a fire sale, really. But...trade Anthony Barr?? Terrible idea. 

If I were to trade any of these 4 going into the final year of their deals, it would be Barr.  We're already paying Kendricks 10 million per and have handed out big contracts to Harry, Rhodes, Linval, and Everson in recent years.  Hunter is a keeper and will get re-signed, but at some point we can't pay our entire starting defense 10+ million.
Barr has quite a bit of trade value as well...  good cover LB that can rush the passer.  26 years old.  3 straight Pro Bowls.  He could easily net us a 1st round pick + an additional mid-round pick or two 2nd round picks.  We could likely draft his replacement in Lorenzo Carter with our first round pick.
However, I have a feeling that Brez has a plan to fit all these guys under the cap unless someone wants ridiculous money...  Spielman has said that they project their cap plans out 2 years.  If they knew ahead of time they were going to allocate a big contract to a QB this year, you can bet that they've looked at a bunch of different scenarios to retain Kendricks, Barr, Diggs, and Hunter before they are FAs.
you are valuing him as if he doesnt have an impending huge contract.  He will never bring a first rounder plus.  Its possible they could sign him, but as i suspected we valued Kendriks more

I don't know if I'd go so far to market Barr, but I would at least bounce the idea around if I got an offer I like. The consideration of trading Barr isn't so much to do with his talent, he's talented and fills an important need in the Vikings system. But how much value does LB bring to the table in a pass driven league? Not as much. You have to prioritize complimenting your QB and getting after the opposing QB. 

Considering the Vikings don't depend on Barr/Kendricks to get after the passer they only offer so much value. No other team pays multiple off the ball linebackers in the range of $10M/yr annually. But at this point the Vikings are in on this season and can't trade Barr unless they're getting a premium pick. There is a lot of value in trying to win now and ending up getting a comp pick (now that they can be traded) if he were to walk. 

@Bullazin said:

right, i said i dont see him that way

Can we wait to see if he takes out Rodgers on week 2 first...!?  B)

I doubt anybody will give us much for Barr without him first agreeing to an extension with the new team.  If he refuses to sign a reasonable extension with us, I can't really see him doing the same with a suitor.  Possible exception would be if one of the teams with a lot of cap space are willing to overpay him, plus pay us a second or third round pick.  San Francisco might be a player, due to their recent character challenges.  A plug in replacement like Barr, who is also young and high character, might be very appealing to them.  They have two picks near the top of round three, so you never know.

I think it is a consideration when you consider the salary cap ramification of paying him at least as much as Telvin Smith which was a 4 yr 45 mil deal.  As Geoff said, not many teams are willing to pay two LBs 10mil plus per year.

I think the compensation the Patriots received for Collins is about what you could expect for Barr.  A compensatory 3rd is all the Patriots received.

But the one thing about the Patriots comparison is the little unknown move they made one week prior to trading Collins.  They traded for Kyle Van Noy on Oct 22, 2016.  They gave up a 6th round pick and got him and a 7th in return.

On Oct 31, 2016 they trade Collins to the Browns for a conditional 3rd round pick.

As others have said, the Vikings do not have a player to replace him like the Patriots ensured they would.

Barr making 3 Pro Bowl's is overrated especially when you consider the first two years he made the team were as an injury replacement.

The 49ers really need a LB so maybe the Vikings can get the #70 or #74 pick from them for Barr?

Yeah, that would be the best they can hope for IMHO.

That's my offer.

Trade Barr to the 49ers for the #74 pick.

Then trade #204 to the Eagles for Mychal Kendricks.  Maybe toss in a 2019 7th too.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/3/14/17119368/nfl-trade-rumors-mychal-kendricks-eagles-linebacker-nigel-bradham-philadelphia-contract-draft-picks

Is Barr worth more than a high 3rd?  Maybe but where are the recent trades of LBs that show this to be true?

Getting Kendricks would at least give you a pretty good starter to replace Barr.  And Kendricks makes 6 mil this year and 7 mil next year.  That frees up 6.3 mil this year.

With that extra cap space maybe they can sign Johnathan Hankins to a one year deal?

I doubt it happens but I also hate to wait on a possible compensatory pick.

That would mean they get nothing after this season for him until 2020.