Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He Could Ride In On A Harley
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
With all these G/C guys that sound like first rounders I have a hard time not thinking a good one will still be available at the end of the 2nd.   If not that far down at least in the early to mid 2nd and we add a 3rd or 4th rounder to our picks.
It happens every year...  a number of good interior OL (C or G) get talked up as potential first round picks.  And then the actual draft happens and most of these guys are available in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Cody Whitehair went late 2nd, Pat Elflein went in the early 3rd, Ethan Pocic went in the late 2nd, etc. for some recent examples.

Nelson will go within the first 15 picks for sure.  Dude is a stud.  Wynn or Hernandez might go late first round, but Price, Ragnow, and Daniels won't go until Day 2 IMO.

I'm looking for my fellow poster's thoughts on this...

I really don't want to mess with Elflein at Center.  He looks like a fixture there for us.  

I also thought Remmers played above average at RT for most of the year and our line suffered after having to move him late last year into the interior at Guard because of Easton/Elflein injuries.  Hill was the worst Tackle in the playoffs giving up the most pressures according to PFF.

I want to keep both Elflein and Remmers where they both performed well and IMO were both getting better as the season went on.  

So my questions?

Ragnow and Price are Centers.  Is that an easy transition from playing Center in college to playing Guard?  I really don't know how common it is to draft Centers to play Guard just like I don't know how common it is to play right or left guard in college and then switch in the Pro's to the other side.  Obviously it is not a transition to make from LT to RT it is deemed a demotion for the most part if you are drafted at LT and end up RT.

That is why I want us to draft a true Guard.  From all reports (and our Guru) Wynn is a perfect fit for our ZBS at Guard although he played LT most of his career but he is only 6'3 and not long arms so not a tackle draft pick?  I have bought into the Wynn hype and think he is my #1 target for us to draft and I would consider a move up for him....again even though his experience is mostly at Tackle.

The "true" guard I like the most is Hernandez.  Guy just pushes people around and plays mean and nasty.  But reports on him are that he is best at a man blocking scheme.

Bottom line for me is that - Wynn seems like the perfect fit for our needs with his versatility and feet for a ZBS.  Hernandez seems like an old school stud mano-on-mano Guard that I would not mind at all even if not the perfect fit.  Price, Ragnow are centers and unknown to me in terms of Guard play...how easy is that transition? 

Quote: @minny65 said:

Bottom line for me is that - Wynn seems like the perfect fit for our needs with his versatility and feet for a ZBS.  Hernandez seems like an old school stud mano-on-mano Guard that I would not mind at all even if not the perfect fit.  Price, Ragnow are centers and unknown to me in terms of Guard play...how easy is that transition? 
Price was a starting Guard for 3 years at OSU, experience at both LG and RG, and only moved to Center as a senior to replace Elflein. Ragnow started at RG his sophomore year (2015) and one game as a junior, then moved to C. So projecting these guys to G is not unknown by any means.

Most people seem to love Price more, but I have some concern about his shorter arms, which might limit him at OG. Between the two, I would take Ragnow.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@minny65 said:

Price was a starting Guard for 3 years at OSU, experience at both LG and RG, and only moved to Center as a senior to replace Elflein. Ragnow started at RG his sophomore year (2015) and one game as a junior, then moved to C. So projecting these guys to G is not unknown by any means.

Most people seem to love Price more, but I have some concern about his shorter arms, which might limit him at OG. Between the two, I would take Ragnow.
Listened to interview with Price on serius with Brady Quinn and although he said the typical "I'll play wherever the team needs me to play he said he sees himself as an NFL Center.  

I've been reading up.on Bengals insiders as I'm about 99.9% certain they're going O-Line. Ragnow is getting talked up a bunch. Rumor has it their FO likes him over Daniels and Price and would take him as high as #21 if McGlinchey isn't there.