Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landry deal continues to set strong market for Vikings' Stefon Diggs
Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
If they are going to let Diggs go they better get good at drafting WR's or get lucky with one of the late round/FA's again.  Of course maybe Treadwell will finally earn his draft status.....
I've given-up on Treadwell...But you're right about WR. They got lucky and that more than made-up for Flashie and Treadie. But once it's only Thielen? Not good. Diggs + Thielen is like 1+1 gets you 3. It's a great tandem. I dont know the ceilings for the other WR's on the team. Maybe this Wright is decent. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
How much do you want to invest in a guy who is typically injured by the 4th game of the year? 
Agree, why not bring Sidney “Glass” Rice back into the fold. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
How much do you want to invest in a guy who is typically injured by the 4th game of the year? 
I feel the same way, but you know the rest of the league wont.  Diggs will get his sonewhere.  I am guessing between 9 to 11 if he signs an extension with the Vikes,  maybe less if he acknowledges his frailty and a bit if loyalty,  but seeing that his agent is the same a Bells....all bets are off.
That's an interesting insight, and reduces my optimism about getting an early signing for Diggs. I really think he is going to play this season out and aim to hit free agency (or a franchise tag), expecting he will have his best season with Cousins at QB. That might work for him, but OTOH, Cousins might spread the ball around more than Keenum did.

It sure would have been nice if Floyd had emerged last year...or Treadwell. I really think the Vikings may draft WR in the first 3 rounds.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
He hasn't played 16 games yet, but on the other side of the coin, he hasn't missed more than 3 games in any one year. The answer is in the market. I doubt the market will factor in his injury history (considering they've all been tweaks rather than serious injuries). And you know with our luck as soon as we let him sign elsewhere he'll play 5 straight injury-free seasons. As we've discovered with Patterson and Treadwell, it ain't easy finding receivers as talented as Diggs. I say you gotta pay him what the market bears. We didn't just sign our franchise QB only to start taking his weapons away. 

Diggs will get his money...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
He hasn't played 16 games yet, but on the other side of the coin, he hasn't missed more than 3 games in any one year. The answer is in the market. I doubt the market will factor in his injury history (considering they've all been tweaks rather than serious injuries). And you know with our luck as soon as we let him sign elsewhere he'll play 5 straight injury-free seasons. As we've discovered with Patterson and Treadwell, it ain't easy finding receivers as talented as Diggs. I say you gotta pay him what the market bears. We didn't just sign our franchise QB only to start taking his weapons away. 
a franchise QB needs franchise protection,  if he is given time he should be able to make less than franchise level receivers look the part.  I agree that it would be great to pay everybody what they deserve, but on a team loaded with talent... that simply isnt possible.  we are going to have areas of weakness,  if it comes down to paying Diggs his 12+ million per year or being able to retain AT.. I am sticking with AT who has shown great durability.  I also think AT might be the more versatile of the two...maybe not quite as physically gifted as Diggs,  but if I was a QB, AT would likely be my security blanket on must have downs.

When they eventually work on extensions for Diggs/Thielen the price points should be around: 

Thielen - 3 years $40.5M with around $18M guaranteed ($13,5M AAV)  
Diggs - 4 years $65M with around $30M guaranteed. ($16.25M AAV) 

The point is, with the Vikings lock up close to $30M in two receivers? The answer is probably no. But I do think Diggs would be a candidate for the tag which would come in around $14M in 2019.

Thielen is definitely the one to keep - if you have to choose. Hopefully we won't...but if it's eventually $30M for the pair, I think we will let Diggs leave.

I was a bit surprised about signing Kendall Wright because he is best in the slot, and Diggs plays from the slot, and Coley is probably best there too...but, hmmmm, are they preparing for possibly losing Diggs? Maybe the Vikes will dip into WR again this draft, especially if someone who could play on the outside is available.

I've been looking at DJ Chark lately...his measurables probably have Spielman drooling, and a deep threat makes a lot of sense with Cousins on the team. If Chark or Deon Cain were available at our #2, either could be pretty attractive. If Vikings are looking for an outside WR (aren't we always?), I'm not sure who else in this draft fits that mold - Dante Pettis (or is he another slot?), Equanimeous St. Brown?

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
When they eventually work on extensions for Diggs/Thielen the price points should be around: 

Thielen - 3 years $40.5M with around $18M guaranteed ($13,5M AAV)  
Diggs - 4 years $65M with around $30M guaranteed. ($16.25M AAV) 

The point is, with the Vikings lock up close to $30M in two receivers? The answer is probably no. But I do think Diggs would be a candidate for the tag which would come in around $14M in 2019.
holy crap,   that is nuts for either of them.  I dont know that either one of them is a true #1 receiver,  but as a duo of 1A 1B they are combined pretty damn dynamic.  I think they both lack something that would put them in that premier receiver pay area,  but who knows what will happen with capn kirk at the helm.

Of all our free agents in 2019, Diggs is the person I think we might miss the least.  He's a very good player, but as has been said, a good QB that's well-protected should be able to get it done with less-than-elite receivers.