Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer: Vikings' offense will 'do what Kirk Cousins does best'
Quote: @NodakViking said:
@pumpf said:
It concerns me that we only hear about tailoring the offense to what Cousins likes to do... without any mention of what DeFilippo likes to do (especially the part about keeping alot of terminology the same).  That tells me- in my opinion- that they don't expect "Flip" to be around very long (and,therefore, why bother to change alot of things... when we'll probably go to Stepanski in a year or 2).
IMO coaches who can adapt their philosophy/system to the players they have are the best ones.  I don't think coaches that have to clean house and bring in 'their style' of player are necessarily good coaches they just have an effective system they are intimately familiar with.  I think coaches that can adapt are the ones that are successful long term.

I would hope that is what they are trying to do, put good talent on the roster and hire coaches that can get the most out of it.
nothing for nothing but didnt Zim bring a system in and is drafting and signing free agents to fit his scheme?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NodakViking said:
@pumpf said:
It concerns me that we only hear about tailoring the offense to what Cousins likes to do... without any mention of what DeFilippo likes to do (especially the part about keeping alot of terminology the same).  That tells me- in my opinion- that they don't expect "Flip" to be around very long (and,therefore, why bother to change alot of things... when we'll probably go to Stepanski in a year or 2).
IMO coaches who can adapt their philosophy/system to the players they have are the best ones.  I don't think coaches that have to clean house and bring in 'their style' of player are necessarily good coaches they just have an effective system they are intimately familiar with.  I think coaches that can adapt are the ones that are successful long term.

I would hope that is what they are trying to do, put good talent on the roster and hire coaches that can get the most out of it.
nothing for nothing but didnt Zim bring a system in and is drafting and signing free agents to fit his scheme?
Zimmer has a system, but adapts it around the players he has.  Harrison was here and has become a key ingredient.  A coach has to have a philosophy, but too many coaches, offense in particular, are hard line about their scheme.  They force the scheme until they have the players or they get fired.  I think the new breed of coaches, Shurmur, Pederson, DeFilipo and such blend styles they have been around.  You can't say they are WCO or whatever else.  They take pieces and fit their personnel. 

I think that was what made Shumur so successful, he had different personnel he could bring in and go many different directions off that.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NodakViking said:
@pumpf said:

But he didn't purge the roster, he rightlfully has been drafting/signing guys that fit he preferred system as any coach should.  He installed his system in place of Frasiers and made drastic improvement with mostly the same roster.  Since then it has improved year over year as he has stocked it with players bet suited to it. 

Norv on the other hand tried to force Charles Johnson the ball rather than giving Diggs, AT, or Wright more snaps and they built the offense around an aging RB and archaic offense they were ill suited to implement with the existing talent.

Two opposing examples I guess-Zimmer's impact on the defense and Norv's lack thereof on offense(of course AP played a role in that crappy offense too)

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@pumpf said:

I agree, Norv Turner wanted to fit square pegs into round holes. Didn’t matter that the O line blocked like shit, or didn’t block at all, but dammit my QB is taking a 7 step drop and slinging the ball downfield!

Good coaches use the skills of individuals and tweak their schemes to go with those players.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
@NodakViking said:
@pumpf said:

I agree, Norv Turner wanted to fit square pegs into round holes. Didn’t matter that the O line blocked like shit, or didn’t block at all, but dammit my QB is taking a 7 step drop and slinging the ball downfield!

Good coaches use the skills of individuals and tweak their schemes to go with those players.

Or that his RB couldn't pass protect, or that his QB preferred and played his best in shotgun and quick rhythm style offenses.  It's a shame Bridgewater got hurt in 2016 because I think Shurmur would have benefitted him greatly if he would have had the chance to play in that style of offense.

Hopefully Kirk can thrive in the offense being implemented his season.

I think it's a great fit. I think I read where Cousins was the most effective play action QB in the NFL? Just sounds to me like an OC who will want to do a lot of play action, RPO, and zone runs will fit really well on a team with Cousins, Cook, and RAC receivers like Diggs and Thielen. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think it's a great fit. I think I read where Cousins was the most effective play action QB in the NFL? Just sounds to me like an OC who will want to do a lot of play action, RPO, and zone runs will fit really well on a team with Cousins, Cook, and RAC receivers like Diggs and Thielen. 
I haven't had this much anticipation about a Vikings offense since Bert was here...

Im pretty stoked to see the new offense.  I think it should be very good.

I was at a skins board recently and someone pointed out that Cousins is 4-19 against teams with a winning record. They said he padded his numbers to get 4,000 yards vs bad teams in garbage time.  Thats a little eye opening.

Anyone hear this before?

Quote: @Poiple said:

I was at a skins board recently and someone pointed out that Cousins is 4-19 against teams with a winning record. They said he padded his numbers to get 4,000 yards vs bad teams in garbage time.  Thats a little eye opening.

Anyone hear this before?
2017 Skins rushing: ypg 90.5 (27th) ypc 3.6 (30th) Rush defense ypc 4.5 (29) ypg  134.1 (32nd)
2016 Skins rushing: ypg 106 (21st) ypc 4.5 (9th) Rush defense ypc 4.5 (27th) ypg  119.7 (24th)
2015 Skins rushing: ypg 97.9 (20th) ypc 3.7 (30th) Rush defense ypc  4.8 (31st) ypg 122.6 (26th)

Considering the Skins couldn't stop anyone from running it and couldn't run it themselves, no wonder Cousins was:

A: Behind a lot, particularly against winning teams.
B: Chucking it.  30th in ypc twice in 3 years? Bleeach.  The year they were 9th in ypc, they were 27th in rush attempts. 

I'm not saying Cousins didn't get some garbage-time yards, but he sure wasn't getting much help those 3 years either.

Quote: @Poiple said:

Anyone hear this before?
Sounds like...
[Image: 77b6cc044bm6.png]
... to me!  
Wink B)