Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hartman: Teddy demanded over $10 mill, Vikes stopped negotiating
Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
Dunno, something smells about this.

Teams really control the conversation with "leaks" and sources.  I wonder if this is some damage control.
Either way, if its true, does it matter? Teddy was obviously a little disgruntled, pushed and the Vikings declined. His true market value was established as $5 mill per the Jets offer. 
Problem with that theory is Cris Carter’s value was $100.    =)

Sometimes the market misses, not saying they did on Teddy.... just saying.  
Could be. Like I said in another thread, its all up to Teddy now. He's only 25 years old. But expect the Jets to draft a QB, they select #6 in round 1 I believe. He'll have his work cut out for him. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

Teams really control the conversation with "leaks" and sources.  I wonder if this is some damage control.
Either way, if its true, does it matter? Teddy was obviously a little disgruntled, pushed and the Vikings declined. His true market value was established as $5 mill per the Jets offer. 
Does it matter?  I guess that would be the point, are we discussing it? 

As to the true part, that is what I question.  This just smells of a controlled leak to elicit a desired response from the fans.

Just my take, but usually gut feelings just turn out to be gas.

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

As to the true part, that is what I question.  This just smells of a controlled leak to elicit a desired response from the fans.

No, what I mean does it matter if its a leak or not? My meaning being if its true, its telling from Teddy's point of view about his worth....and conversely what the Viking's thought. And then what his true market value turned out being. Whether its a 'controlled' leak or not doesn't take away that Teddy overvalued himself possibly. 

He's got a lot to prove, I think he's finding that out. Best of luck to the kid. The Vikings are in a Superbowl window that can't afford a mistake on a guy that had an injury as severe as one that TB suffered. 

It doesn't matter. It just seems bizarre. And after everything, I just don't really buy it. Teddy handled himself and the situation well. I just don't see him being demanding at this point. Not going to dwell on it.

I'm not buying it.  I don't think Teddy's about the money.  I think Teddy's about getting a legit chance at proving that he's starting caliber.  We needed a more proven guy because our time is now.  We decided to go with Cousins at starter so there's not much more negotiation that needs to happen there because Bridgewater doesn't want the backup spot behind the highest paid QB in the league.

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
bullshit. this snake franchise just wants it to seem like teddy wanted way too much.
I found the link you're looking for:
http://forums.theganggreen.com/register/

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

No, what I mean does it matter if its a leak or not? My meaning being if its true, its telling from Teddy's point of view about his worth....and conversely what the Viking's thought. And then what his true market value turned out being. Whether its a 'controlled' leak or not doesn't take away that Teddy overvalued himself possibly. 

He's got a lot to prove, I think he's finding that out. Best of luck to the kid. The Vikings are in a Superbowl window that can't afford a mistake on a guy that had an injury as severe as one that TB suffered. 
My point is, if it is a controlled leak, it likely isn't true, but damage control. 

If the Vikings had signed Case for $18 mil (as the Broncos did) and Teddy for $10 mil (as is reported he wanted), then there would be a contingency of media and fans screaming at the Vikings for spending that money on Case and Teddy when we could have had Cousins for the same price. In this scenario, it assumes that Teddy and Case would have agreed to a camp competition, which I really don't think would have happened.
If the Vikings had signed Sam for $20 mil (as the Cardinals did) and let Teddy and Case go and not pursued Cousins, and then, later signed someone like Mike Glennon (haven't heard his contract amount yet) to back up Sam and his bad knee, there would be media and fans saying they're crazy for giving Sam that kind of money given his injury history (and that I can actually agree with).
I've always said that I love Teddy and I really do hope that he's successful with the Jets (other than when we play them, of course), but the team did what they needed to do going forward. The Broncos, Jets and Cardinals also did what they had to do. It was widely publicized that all 3 teams were definitely in on the Cousins sweepstakes and made a hard push individually for him and in fact the Jets and Cardinals offered more money than we did. What does it all mean? It means that those teams (and Denver, even though they dropped out) all viewed Cousins as the best available choice at QB....so, 4 QB needy franchises in the NFL deemed Cousins a better QB option than Bradford, Bridgewater and Keenum...yet somehow, the Vikings have apparently made the worst choice.....

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

My point is, if it is a controlled leak, it likely isn't true, but damage control. 
I doubt the Vikings are now trying to spread lies about Teddy.  He seemed pretty universally liked among the players, coaching staff, and front office.  It might be a little damage control, but I doubt that it's untrue.

Isn't usually the player's agent that goes in and makes all kinds of demands?  Then after rounds of negotiating they come up with a number.  The player is usually along for the ride at this point.