Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Cities' dinosaur laments its 'Cousins or bust' for Vikings
Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Clanzomaelan" said:
Geez...
IT WAS A SIDE SESSION with reporters at the combine when Zimmer got his back up over the issue of preventing quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski from moving to the New York Giants as the offensive coordinator.
Zimmer lauded himself for his loyalty to Stefanski and the offensive staff during the low-rated seasons of 2014-16.
Which was rather humorous, since Zimmer got his first shot as a head coach in 2014 and lobbied energetically to get Norv Turner to come in and teach him how to construct an offense, and then Zim ran off Turner seven games (and five victories) into the 2016 season.
And the idea  pushed then that it somehow came at Norv’s request – that he had decided to walk away from coaching – was proven to be false early this year, when Turner signed on as Carolina’s new offensive coordinator.
The gold star that Zim gave himself last week for loyalty to the offensive staff came with a short memory.
I thought Zim was a bit salty when talking about loyalty too, but holy crap...

I don't comprehend the vitriol these guys spit. Does anybody on here have a connection with the Strib who can confirm that these guys are asked to write pissed off commentary like this? Maybe I've just been around too friendly of a press corps my entire life (The folks covering the 49ers, and currently the folks covering the Broncos). Reusse comes across as an equally salty curmudgeon.
Well, Zimmer does not really know how to run an offense.  And for him to point out the offense rankings since he arrived is complete BS.  To me.

As I said before, the Vikings added Joseph, Munnerly, Newman, and drafted Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Waynes since he came on board.  They already had Smith and Rhodes.  Must be nice to have those 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders plus really good free agents on your defense.

Meanwhile, they added Teddy and Diggs to the offense and whiffed badly on Boone, Smith, and letting Kalil get that 5th year.

On top of all this, he conveniently does not mention that AP missed 2014 and 2016.

So what should a writer write when the head coach does not tell the whole story when criticizing one side of the ball?

Just ignore it?

Seems to me that there are folks that believe Zimmer can do no wrong.
I don't disagree with your comments on Zim, and actually found myself thinking along the lines of "Preach it, Brother!" as I read it.

I think my poorly stated point was that I'm not sure the press I've seen would openly criticize a coach the way the MN press tends to go after their coaches, and while Zim was definitely salty in his comments, the MN press is seemingly always salty.

Quote: @"Clanzomaelan" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Clanzomaelan" said:
Geez...
IT WAS A SIDE SESSION with reporters at the combine when Zimmer got his back up over the issue of preventing quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski from moving to the New York Giants as the offensive coordinator.
Zimmer lauded himself for his loyalty to Stefanski and the offensive staff during the low-rated seasons of 2014-16.
Which was rather humorous, since Zimmer got his first shot as a head coach in 2014 and lobbied energetically to get Norv Turner to come in and teach him how to construct an offense, and then Zim ran off Turner seven games (and five victories) into the 2016 season.
And the idea  pushed then that it somehow came at Norv’s request – that he had decided to walk away from coaching – was proven to be false early this year, when Turner signed on as Carolina’s new offensive coordinator.
The gold star that Zim gave himself last week for loyalty to the offensive staff came with a short memory.
I thought Zim was a bit salty when talking about loyalty too, but holy crap...

I don't comprehend the vitriol these guys spit. Does anybody on here have a connection with the Strib who can confirm that these guys are asked to write pissed off commentary like this? Maybe I've just been around too friendly of a press corps my entire life (The folks covering the 49ers, and currently the folks covering the Broncos). Reusse comes across as an equally salty curmudgeon.
Well, Zimmer does not really know how to run an offense.  And for him to point out the offense rankings since he arrived is complete BS.  To me.

As I said before, the Vikings added Joseph, Munnerly, Newman, and drafted Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Waynes since he came on board.  They already had Smith and Rhodes.  Must be nice to have those 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders plus really good free agents on your defense.

Meanwhile, they added Teddy and Diggs to the offense and whiffed badly on Boone, Smith, and letting Kalil get that 5th year.

On top of all this, he conveniently does not mention that AP missed 2014 and 2016.

So what should a writer write when the head coach does not tell the whole story when criticizing one side of the ball?

Just ignore it?

Seems to me that there are folks that believe Zimmer can do no wrong.
I don't disagree with your comments on Zim, and actually found myself thinking along the lines of "Preach it, Brother!" as I read it.

I think my poorly stated point was that I'm not sure the press I've seen would openly criticize a coach the way the MN press tends to go after their coaches, and while Zim was definitely salty in his comments, the MN press is seemingly always salty.
I love Zimmer as a coach.  I like his hard nosed no nonsense way of doing things.

Maybe he was just frustrated with the questioning of his decisions?

I believe from reading and listening to his pressers that he really does not enjoy that part of the job too much.

He has been great for the Vikings!

I hope he stays a long time.

The only thing I'll say about Zim and offense is that I am glad they hired the guy from Philly to manage that side of the ball. 

Regarding MN sportswriters, I do like some of the newer blood the Strib has brought on while sunsetting Reusse (he doesnt write regularly anymore) and Hartman at 96 is just about done too...I'm talking about new guys like Goesling. I think they're smart and bring fresh new perspective to an old sport. 

Over at the Saint Paul Pioneer Press (Twin Cities.com)  Charley Walters and some of the writers there are on a sinking ship. I suspect that wont be around much longer and the lack of funding going to keep that shop open really shows. 

Our writing is awful in MN. I think we have a couple guys on here that could make far better writers than what we have to witness on a daily.

Mark Rosen is about the best "sports reporter" we have in MN IMO.  Sports anchor on TV and not an ink stained wretch.  Not exactly apples to apples, but I stopped reading or paying any attention to the other asshats LONG ago.  Everyone else has turned their "sports articles" into negative opinion pieces, instead of "fact reporting" articles.  I rarely read or watch the news anymore because 99.9% of all reporters have fallen into this method of reporting.  Negativity is ALWAYS regarded as news, while positivity is ALWAYS overlooked and ignored.  The sports reporters in MN will take shots at the Vikings no matter how this Cousins deal works out.  If we don't sign him, the team will be shredded for it's treatment of the other QBs and how they've possibly fractured the locker room with their actions.  Or they'll be blasted for how they missed out on signing the QB that could have put us over the top.  If we do sign Cousins, the team will be ridiculed for it's terrible cap management,  that this decision will mean the team will now lose other important "fan favorite" players in the coming years to FA, how they've likely fractured the locker room dynamics and threats that the team better win a Super Bowl in 2 years or everyone should be and will be fired.  They may write a few exciting "We got him" articles the first couple of weeks.  But after that, when they have nothing else to write, it'll fall back into the negative "opinion/speculation" doom and gloom writing.  Because it's easy.  Then the draft picks will be "we can't find more tools for Cousins on O" or "After signing their QB the team gives him No help and goes defense AGAIN in the draft.  That's MN sports reporting in a nut shell.