Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if MY biggest fear becomes reality?
I feel like the Doomsday scenario for me is signing Cousins as the safe pick.  Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum all end up in the playoffs for other teams, meanwhile Cousins tears both Achilles tendons in week 2, and our backup QB Blaine Gabbert leads us to a 7-9 record with 3 pick 6's from clean pockets. 

The worst case scenario is we spend 30 million and then watch a 300 pounder land on his knee in training camp year one.  That's when I'll throw up

I think the talent level of all QB's in question are in the same ballpark. ONe may be a little better at this or that, but they are all in the same ranks more or less. Or are thought to be. 

I just think that the Vikings have been through so much the past few years with all of these QB's that they are ready to move on with a clean slate. There has been a lot of emotions and we have no idea what sort of drama they have all been dealing with in the background. So it really doesn't surprise me that they want to start fresh and move forward. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
I think the talent level of all QB's in question are in the same ballpark. ONe may be a little better at this or that, but they are all in the same ranks more or less. Or are thought to be. 

I just think that the Vikings have been through so much the past few years with all of these QB's that they are ready to move on with a clean slate. There has been a lot of emotions and we have no idea what sort of drama they have all been dealing with in the background. So it really doesn't surprise me that they want to start fresh and move forward. 
I hear you, but its more than starting fresh if they go with Cousins. Keenum has his warts, Bradford has that 'degenerative' knee and Teddy is a huge question mark. Cousins is a known quantity with upside. His work ethic is off the charts good. His arm is better than both Case and Teddy. 81 TDs and only 36 INTs. the last 3 seasons. 

He may be expensive, but he's 29 years old and ready for the prime of his career. The Vikings are a top 4 NFL team. Seems like the safest thing to do considering their situation is get Cousins. I keep hearing how risky it would be, I actually think to the contrary. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
How about, I'll continue to be a fan as I have been since '69, and we will try again next year.

Actually, this "dysfunctional organization" just had a great year with journeyman backup QB after losing what looked like their two best offensive players. We did not win the SB, did not even make it, but I really enjoyed the season. I hated the way it ended, but with a little time and perspective I realized I really enjoyed this season.  

We are close and the coaches, front office, and ownership are all working to get it done.  And they are not being stupid about it. (We have one of the best teams in the league yet we are still in great cap position.) But nobody has a crystal ball.  Picking the right QB is a bit of a crapshoot. (Who would have guessed going into the season that Nick Foles would be the SB winning QB?) And even if you do, he might get injured. 

We don't have Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Ben. Those guys are not available. And we won't pick until the end of the first round.  But we have a team that gives us a realistic chance to compete. I'll take that.
This^^.  plus i will add, we will make the best decision we can and then live with outcomes beyond our control. Such is life

Of the four (Bradford, Bridgewater, Cousins and Keenum), Bradford scares me the most for us to sign without also keeping Bridgewater or Keenum.  The knee is too close to gone for him to be "trustworthy" any longer. 
On the whole, though, this is hard for them to get too wrong.  The worst fear, as you sorta said, is that one of the other 3 goes somewhere else and becomes a world-beater.  But you can't live in fear as a Viking. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Been living OP's biggest fear since PEpp went down...

Thought RS had it nailed with Bridgewater, until the football gods decided to hate on the Vikings again. 
How about Salisbury over Gannon, or  Cunningham over Johnson, no pursuit of Brees and his eventual 6 year $60 million dollar deal with the Saints and a bunch of half measures over the years.

Now they have 4-5 options and a promising young guy in the wings, they better get it right this time or Summer can throw that good luck charm/curse breaker out the window.