Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best (and most likely) possible outcome of the Vikings’ quarterback situation?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Interesting that they think Teddy and Case is an option but not Teddy and Brad. 
That would be my first choice.  Between the two of them we should be fine and if they are both good....all the better.  However of the 3 those 2 are probably the least likely to settle for a #2 role imo.
I don't know. If Case has any kind of knowledge that the Vikings are keeping Bridgewater, I'm not sure why he'd not just sign elsewhere. He knows the Vikings give him the best chance to repeat what he did last year, but there's a pretty even chance he doesn't even win the job. 

I do kinda like the idea of signing two and trading the one who doesn't win the starting job. That gives the "loser" the opportunity to start and the Vikings some currency. Then backup becomes a top priority in 2nd and 3rd tier free agency.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
That would be my first choice.  Between the two of them we should be fine and if they are both good....all the better.  However of the 3 those 2 are probably the least likely to settle for a #2 role imo.
I don't know. If Case has any kind of knowledge that the Vikings are keeping Bridgewater, I'm not sure why he'd not just sign elsewhere. He knows the Vikings give him the best chance to repeat what he did last year, but there's a pretty even chance he doesn't even win the job. 

I do kinda like the idea of signing two and trading the one who doesn't win the starting job. That gives the "loser" the opportunity to start and the Vikings some currency. Then backup becomes a top priority in 2nd and 3rd tier free agency.
somebody thinks you are humorous... I think you are pretty spot on in terms of Case being the weakest camp QB of the bunch.  His talents shine in live game situations,  but he didnt look very good in camp and unfortunately that is where a lot of the decisions are made.   If Heineke hadnt shit the bed in his last preseason performance,  would he have been kept over Case?  I know in mankato Case was pretty unimpressive the 2 days I was there, but when the lights came on his game was much better.

Quote: @"Al (The Lochstar) Heurung" said:
I think it'll come down to what we started with... Bradpool and Teddy. Flip loves Bradpool's arm, and Teddy (esp if his contract tolls) will be EZ Insurance. Case is a super swell guy but he's gonna get *paid* after this season, likely by a horrible team that will make him unhappy on the field. We can't realistically carry what Keenum is gonna get plus Teddy unless Teddy tolls... and Flip's input works against that as well. Bradpool will come out of this offseason QB scramble as a bargain, methinks.

Bradford+Bridgewater may be Spielman's dream, but I think it will be challenging to see happen. The money for both (or either + Keenum) is going to be too much unless either Bridgewater's contract tolls or Bradford's knee looks dicey. The "will Teddy be tolled" debate has been held enough and without any way for us fans to know, so leaving that alone. But re Bradford, I really think that if he is feeling really strong, he and his agent know he can work out in Arizona or Denver and that magic arm will get coaches and OCs and GMs excited. His health should never be trusted again but someone will and he'll get $15-20M/year, if only short term. IMO the only way Vikings get Bradford for less than $15M is if he is walking wounded so he's afraid to test the market - in which case, be done with him.
Personally, I would part ways with both our "B" QBs. Either is bound to have us holding our breath after every low hit or landing on a knee, and will eventually break our hearts and another season.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

somebody thinks you are humorous... I think you are pretty spot on in terms of Case being the weakest camp QB of the bunch.  His talents shine in live game situations,  but he didnt look very good in camp and unfortunately that is where a lot of the decisions are made.   If Heineke hadnt shit the bed in his last preseason performance,  would he have been kept over Case?  I know in mankato Case was pretty unimpressive the 2 days I was there, but when the lights came on his game was much better.
I still remember that article written when Case was on his run. It was a pro-Case article, but the gist of it was how surprising his performance was when you consider how the QBs looked in training camp compared to each other. While Bradford was throwing darts, Case's passes fluttered and sailed. Case is a winner and a pretty damn good game-day QB, but he's not going to look as good in a camp environment as QBs with more arm talent.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Al (The Lochstar) Heurung" said:
I think it'll come down to what we started with... Bradpool and Teddy. Flip loves Bradpool's arm, and Teddy (esp if his contract tolls) will be EZ Insurance. Case is a super swell guy but he's gonna get *paid* after this season, likely by a horrible team that will make him unhappy on the field. We can't realistically carry what Keenum is gonna get plus Teddy unless Teddy tolls... and Flip's input works against that as well. Bradpool will come out of this offseason QB scramble as a bargain, methinks.

Bradford+Bridgewater may be Spielman's dream, but I think it will be challenging to see happen. The money for both (or either + Keenum) is going to be too much unless either Bridgewater's contract tolls or Bradford's knee looks dicey. The "will Teddy be tolled" debate has been held enough and without any way for us fans to know, so leaving that alone. But re Bradford, I really think that if he is feeling really strong, he and his agent know he can work out in Arizona or Denver and that magic arm will get coaches and OCs and GMs excited. His health should never be trusted again but someone will and he'll get $15-20M/year, if only short term. IMO the only way Vikings get Bradford for less than $15M is if he is walking wounded so he's afraid to test the market - in which case, be done with him.
Personally, I would part ways with both our "B" QBs. Either is bound to have us holding our breath after every low hit or landing on a knee, and will eventually break our hearts and another season.
Bradford is in his 3rd city and has made more money in the last 8 years than the Catholic Church,  I dont see him playing for peanuts,  but rumor has it that he and his wife are happy in minneapolis and would like to stay.  ( after being in philly.... is it really hard to fathom that he would play for less to stay in a city they like?)  Sams knee will lower his base price,  but he could be got on the cheap with an incentive heavy contract.  say 6-8 million per year with another million per start?

I would ask if they are willing to compete for the job,  if all 3 say yes then offer all 3 the same contract,  and tell them the first 2 to come back signed get the deal.   its fair starter money,  and its top shelf back up money.  Have wording in the contract that the loser can opt out after 1 year and have a no trade clause so if we can get a pick for the eventual loser if Sloter looks ready for some action as a #2.

as far as Teddy being more of an injury risk... maybe maybe not,  that topic is just as over discussed as his contract tolling.

I don't know why Bradford + Teddy would be financially difficult.  Neither is going to get "much" on the open market.  Sam has high upside- but is a huge risk.  Teddy has potential- but also more risk.  I can't imagine that any team is going to pay them to become starters.  So now you've got 2 back-ups (in terms of salary) competing for a starting job.  I would think that some combination of $25 million (or less) would get both of them- and we'd still have Sloter.  That is... if the team wanted both of them.  

Bradford/Sloter? I'm starting to bump this up the reality scale personally.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I don't know why Bradford + Teddy would be financially difficult.  Neither is going to get "much" on the open market.  Sam has high upside- but is a huge risk.  Teddy has potential- but also more risk.  I can't imagine that any team is going to pay them to become starters.  So now you've got 2 back-ups (in terms of salary) competing for a starting job.  I would think that some combination of $25 million (or less) would get both of them- and we'd still have Sloter.  That is... if the team wanted both of them.  
Sort of agree, but I think with the dearth of talent at QB1 positions around the NFL, either could get paid as a starter. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"pumpf" said:
Sort of agree, but I think with the dearth of talent at QB1 positions around the NFL, either could get paid as a starter. 
but does either one want to got to the places that are so desperate for a starting QB that they will over look their existing issues and guarantee them that starter money?   I dont know about Teddy,  but I doubt Sam would want to move to Cleveland or the Jets,  maybe AZ for him,  but I sure wouldnt expect him to agree to play in buffalo with his knees.

@"greediron" said:
@"pumpf" said:
but does either one want to got to the places that are so desperate for a starting QB that they will over look their existing issues and guarantee them that starter money?   I dont know about Teddy,  but I doubt Sam would want to move to Cleveland or the Jets,  maybe AZ for him,  but I sure wouldnt expect him to agree to play in buffalo with his knees.
Depends on.  Would 7-10 mil more a year make Buffalo or NYJ palatable?