Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampering with his Cousins
Quote: @Zanary said:
As painful as these too-common offseason QB quandaries get, I'm telling myself that that coaching staff and front office got us into the postseason 2 of the last 3 seasons, and to the NFCC game most recently...with a backup QB and without our starting RB.

If they think that Case can take the next step forward, or that Teddy is both healed and developing nicely, or if Sam's knee is truly "better", or if Cousins is the missing piece...I'm gonna believe 'em.

I have no problem getting on board with any of these guys, but I can't deny that the waiting is hard on the ol' blood pressure.
Pretty much right where I am.  If they were all healthy and had recent film it would be different but each comes with his own questions and I just don't have the answers, I hope the front office and coaches do.

Quote: @KingBash said:
@Zanary said:
@KingBash said:
@Zanary said:
As painful as these too-common offseason QB quandaries get, I'm telling myself that that coaching staff and front office got us into the postseason 2 of the last 3 seasons, and to the NFCC game most recently...with a backup QB and without our starting RB.

If they think that Case can take the next step forward, or that Teddy is both healed and developing nicely, or if Sam's knee is truly "better", or if Cousins is the missing piece...I'm gonna believe 'em.

I have no problem getting on board with any of these guys, but I can't deny that the waiting is hard on the ol' blood pressure.
Who would you take?

In a perfect world, I'd take Sam actually. And that perfect world is him being healthy. I think he's a HOF'er who has one of the worst injury bugs in the history of the NFL. 
We're in agreement.  He's the best pure passer that we've got, would be more affordable than Cousins due to injury history, and has a similar skill set.  I was really stoked that we got him for 2016, as he seemed like another high-pick QB whose career was going to be torpedoed by starting on a terrible team.
I think if we're smart (and this is why I'd make a bad GM because it's a gamble) we'd resign both Teddy and Sam, and let them compete in preseason. Sam would surely win if given a healthy offensive line and he stayed healthy... and then when he undoubtedly would end up hurt, Teddy would come in and perform just as well, if not better.

That's my intrigue with him. We still don't know his upside. The 2016 season was going to be my favorite one until he got hurt. Luckily I think we all had blinders put on because Sam came in and played so well.

There is no doubting Sam's arm talent-or his injury history, a long one.  I have other concerns(valid or not?) first and foremost is his mental makeup, I'm not sure he is the kind of guy that elevates those around him.  He executes the X's and O's to a "T" but when you need your QB to make that crucial play I'm not sure he has that oft ridiculed "it" factor.  The other thing I think he is less than good at is pocket awareness(which is a factor in his injuries IMO) he doesn't move within the pocket and moves very little outside of it.  To me that combines with his balky knee is a recipe for ongoing injuries.  I could be wrong but that's how I see Sam.

Case is like the anti-Sam take each guys strengths and weakness and the other is the inverse.  Case is a gamer, unorthodox, questionable arm talent and accuracy, moves great in and out of the pocket, he's short but durable, and plays with no fear.

Teddy-seems kind of like the compromise of the two-if healthy.  Of course the sample size is incomplete and future is up in the air.

Sloter on paper seems to have all the best attributes-but it's just on paper so far.  I'm glad it's not my job and livelihood on the line for the decision.

Sounds like something that routinely happens in green bay...

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@KingBash said:
@Zanary said:
@KingBash said:
@Zanary said:

Who would you take?

In a perfect world, I'd take Sam actually. And that perfect world is him being healthy. I think he's a HOF'er who has one of the worst injury bugs in the history of the NFL. 
We're in agreement.  He's the best pure passer that we've got, would be more affordable than Cousins due to injury history, and has a similar skill set.  I was really stoked that we got him for 2016, as he seemed like another high-pick QB whose career was going to be torpedoed by starting on a terrible team.
I think if we're smart (and this is why I'd make a bad GM because it's a gamble) we'd resign both Teddy and Sam, and let them compete in preseason. Sam would surely win if given a healthy offensive line and he stayed healthy... and then when he undoubtedly would end up hurt, Teddy would come in and perform just as well, if not better.

That's my intrigue with him. We still don't know his upside. The 2016 season was going to be my favorite one until he got hurt. Luckily I think we all had blinders put on because Sam came in and played so well.

There is no doubting Sam's arm talent-or his injury history, a long one.  I have other concerns(valid or not?) first and foremost is his mental makeup, I'm not sure he is the kind of guy that elevates those around him.  He executes the X's and O's to a "T" but when you need your QB to make that crucial play I'm not sure he has that oft ridiculed "it" factor.  The other thing I think he is less than good at is pocket awareness(which is a factor in his injuries IMO) he doesn't move within the pocket and moves very little outside of it.  To me that combines with his balky knee is a recipe for ongoing injuries.  I could be wrong but that's how I see Sam.

Case is like the anti-Sam take each guys strengths and weakness and the other is the inverse.  Case is a gamer, unorthodox, questionable arm talent and accuracy, moves great in and out of the pocket, he's short but durable, and plays with no fear.

Teddy-seems kind of like the compromise of the two-if healthy.  Of course the sample size is incomplete and future is up in the air.

Sloter on paper seems to have all the best attributes-but it's just on paper so far.  I'm glad it's not my job and livelihood on the line for the decision.
My biggest concern with Teddy, along with his knee/durability, is that he never proved to be any kind of a downfield passing threat.  Some of that was on the o-line, some of that was on the developing receivers...but a lot of it was on Teddy.  Supposedly, he looked markedly better in camp going into 2016...but it's impossible to know where he's at right now.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@NodakViking said:
@KingBash said:
@Zanary said:
@KingBash said:
@Zanary said:

Who would you take?

My biggest concern with Teddy, along with his knee/durability, is that he never proved to be any kind of a downfield passing threat.  Some of that was on the o-line, some of that was on the developing receivers...but a lot of it was on Teddy.  Supposedly, he looked markedly better in camp going into 2016...but it's impossible to know where he's at right now.
I have no idea about his knee health so it's tough t take any position on him or Sam or pick one over the other.  That said I'm operating under the assumption the team is comfortable with the health of his knee so it's mostly a non factor.

I think he is every bit as capable a down field thrower as Case(arm talent wise) the difference is/was Case just chucks it down there with no fear.  Teddy seemed reluctant to pull the trigger.  I'm not sure if it was coaching, trust in his WR's(rookie Diggs and few reps for AT), or just his nature.  I have to defer to the coaches again on that.  He did seem more willing to take shots in the 2016 preseason, and it was a point of emphasis that year so who knows what would have happened.

I think any QB will have a better chance to succeed now than they did when Norv was trying to force Charles Johnson on us.  I lost faith in Norv when he didn't seem to want to tailor his offense to the talent.

I like the balance of talents Teddy presents if he is healthy but I see merits in a lot of different opinions on the QB spot next year but I prefer long term solutions over near term gratification.

lol if you think every team out there in the cousins sweepstakes isnt tampering youre only kidding yourself.

The current 3 QBs leave a lot of doubt/concern and questions remain.

That is why they need to go for Cousins.

He has less questions.

And the team is ready to really truly compete NOW.

They cannot risk this window on questions.

If they do and the QBs do not perform as hoped then that is a massive failure.

Sign Cousins and let the other 3 go wherever they can and get those comp picks in 2019.

Not really a difficult decision. For me.

If Fran Foley can do it then so can I.  :p

The Jets said - or let it be known - that they would pay whatever it takes to get Cousins. Seems like that is the definition of tampering.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
The current 3 QBs leave a lot of doubt/concern and questions remain.

That is why they need to go for Cousins.

He has less questions.

And the team is ready to really truly compete NOW.

They cannot risk this window on questions.

If they do and the QBs do not perform as hoped then that is a massive failure.

Sign Cousins and let the other 3 go wherever they can and get those comp picks in 2019.

Not really a difficult decision. For me.

If Fran Foley can do it then so can I.  :p
i dont think you will get any comp picks if you sign a Cousins to a 30+ million dollar deal and the other 3 sign contracts only marginally higher in value in total.

I know its premature to even be thinking about Sloter,  but I wonder if they consider him as they think about how to approach this offseason.   We here they are high on him,  but how high are they?   would they pass on cousins to give Teddy or Sam their prove it years and then look to play Sloter in 19 after another year of grooming?   Or are they high on him as in he will ascend to the #2 spot by then?