Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise and trade Case?
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Considering that the Vikings already anticipated spending franchise tag numbers on a QB this year, tagging Case and keeping him might be a more palatable option...after watching what the Eagles got out of Foles, I'm pretty confident Flipper can build on what Shurmur coaxed out of Kennum...
I'm not as confident,  he will likely help his game,  but I don't see Case excelling in the RPO.  His lack of arm strength and at times inability to see and throw his reciever open makes me question his fit in that scheme.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Considering that the Vikings already anticipated spending franchise tag numbers on a QB this year, tagging Case and keeping him might be a more palatable option...after watching what the Eagles got out of Foles, I'm pretty confident Flipper can build on what Shurmur coaxed out of Kennum...
Agreed. I dont think its to crazy to think Keenum could improve over last year.

I'd have more confidence going into next season with Case/Sloter than Bridgewater/Sloter, just because Teddy is such an unknown now. 2 seasons of not playing is forever. 

if they franchise and pay Case the QB franchise tag, ill have to reconsider any high praise i have for Zim or Rick

id feel the same way if they did that with any of our three qbs. nobodies trading for them at franchise rate, so inevitably we would be paying franchise price to qbs that arent franchise (teddy is only one with time to possijly beckme franchise, but his leg)

i liked Teddy they most, but if we are paying over 20 mil to qb, it should be Kirk Cousins. he has been consistent, healthy, and seems to be a good guy. maybe a little too likely for a pick 6 though

Quote: @"Vikeking2" said:
i liked Teddy they most, but if we are paying over 20 mil to qb, it should be Kirk Cousins. he has been consistent, healthy, and seems to be a good guy. maybe a little too likely for a pick 6 though
thats how I feel on it.  I think anything 25 and up is to much for cousins,  i just dont see that caliber of player in him,  but if we are hell bent on spending over 20 on a Qb,  spend the little extra and try to  get cousins at 24 instead of case at 22.  if cousins really wants to come to a solid team instead of top dollar,  let him prove it.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
And this is EXACTLY why we can never have anything nice...
That's what some people were saying when the Patriots franchised and traded Matt Cassel. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/85323...-tom-brady

One thing I would say about this franchise and trade idea is that Keenum won't bring us much as the Patriots got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd round pick). 

I think everything in sports decision making is about perception of value and potential. Keenum had a better year statistically than Cassel, but previously played on 4 teams in 5 seasons without ever giving anyone the belief that he could be anything more than a very capable #2. The fact that he suddenly exploded on a team with an extremely good supporting cast will (and should) raise a lot of question marks among NFL teams, just as it has with several of us on this board. That degree of doubt does not work in our favor in terms of trade value. 

Cassel was a different situation. He was drafted and developed by the Patriots. He spent 4 seasons learning from Tom Brady. He too had a great season in relief, but the perception of his value/potential was that the Patriots "did it again." Because there was nothing to really argue against it. 

In retrospect it looks like the Pats fleeced the Chiefs, but it was an understandable gamble on greatness. When context is objectively considered about Keenum (pedigree, history, supporting cast), it's much harder to make an argument that he is a QB on the verge of greatness. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
One thing I would say about this franchise and trade idea is that Keenum won't bring us much as the Patriots got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd round pick). 

I think everything in sports decision making is about perception of value and potential. Keenum had a better year statistically than Cassel, but previously played on 4 teams in 5 seasons without ever giving anyone the belief that he could be anything more than a very capable #2. The fact that he suddenly exploded on a team with an extremely good supporting cast will (and should) raise a lot of question marks among NFL teams, just as it has with several of us on this board. That degree of doubt does not work in our favor in terms of trade value. 

Cassel was a different situation. He was drafted and developed by the Patriots. He spent 4 seasons learning from Tom Brady. He too had a great season in relief, but the perception of his value/potential was that the Patriots "did it again." Because there was nothing to really argue against it. 

In retrospect it looks like the Pats fleeced the Chiefs, but it was an understandable gamble on greatness. When context is objectively considered about Keenum (pedigree, history, supporting cast), it's much harder to make an argument that he is a QB on the verge of greatness. 
i tend to agree,  i dont see us getting a 2nd or higher for Case coming off a career high year considering his resume and then the team having to pay him 22 million.  the only way I could see this going is if a team were to approach the Vikes and say they want first shot at him,  but I think there will be enough potential veteran QBs on the market that no one team is going to get this desperate.  we would be better off not taking the gamble and hoping to net a 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

I could see a team like Cleveland willing to give up a 2nd for Case to use him as a bridge between their QB of the future and now. If the Vikings don't want to sign Case to a multi-year deal, that is likely a concern for others teams as well. The easiest way they'd be able to sign Case on a one year deal is via the tag. 

But ultimately I still think it'd be hard to facilitate a tag & trade without another QB on the roster. In all likelihood the Vikings transition tag Case since that eliminates the chance they will be left with nobody. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I could see a team like Cleveland willing to give up a 2nd for Case to use him as a bridge between their QB of the future and now. If the Vikings don't want to sign Case to a multi-year deal, that is likely a concern for others teams as well. The easiest way they'd be able to sign Case on a one year deal is via the tag. 

But ultimately I still think it'd be hard to facilitate a tag & trade without another QB on the roster. In all likelihood the Vikings transition tag Case since that eliminates the chance they will be left with nobody. 
Valid point. But I would be shocked if we were left with nobody. The one thing going for the Vikings is that we would be the top choice for all three of the QBs. Four if you include Cousins.

If the Vikings tagged and traded Case, then that would merely up the ante with the other two, but still would be much cheaper than Keenum's tag. If they go down that road, the Vikings may have to play a little game of chicken here.