Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The buzz seems to say Teddy
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Take it for what it's worth. I don't think any of these guys know any more than the rest of us, but in Googling the latest chatter on Vikings' QB debate, there's definitely a buzz in the media that the Vikings may be leaning toward Teddy.... 

https://thevikingage.com/2018/02/12/rumo...idgewater/
NFL Update@MySportsUpdateExecutives around the league expect the #Vikings to give QB Teddy Bridgewater a short term and incentive based “prove it” type deal this offseason. They have not come to a conclusion on what they’ll do with Case Keenum.

Back in November, Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald said he could see the Vikings giving Bridgewater a short-term contract this offseason worth, “between $6 million and $7 million a year plus incentives.” He also mentioned Minnesota probably will not fight to toll the quarterback’s current deal if it ends up looking like something that requires the NFLPA to get involved.

It just makes the most sense.  Taking the emotion out of it.  He has the most longterm upside of the 3.  Give him a contract that pays him as a starter with a chance to build on it.  Players usually will bet on themselves.  Pay him to avoid the tolling and earn a starters salary, but allowing him to prove himself and earn the big payday.  If he does, then the Vikings will be happy to pay him a top salary.  If not, he made decent money and gave it a shot.
https://thevikingage.com/2018/01/23/who-...back-2018/

The above article puts the odds of the three being QB in 2018:
Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%
And the reasoning is pretty straightforward.  He'd be the least expensive to sign with the best upside.
My fear is we could see a repeat with Sammy's situation...the Vikes are in the midst of a great season and TB goes down with that bad wheel.  Who would be our backup and could we hope to see Case-clone 2.0?

That would be a fear with anyone. No matter who the QB is, he has to be backed up with someone qualified. Read the 3rd article I linked above. Rick calls the backup QB the 2nd most important position on the roster. And with so few appealing options out there in free agency, I keep coming back to the most ideal situation: Sam and Teddy. 
Despite preferences what makes it ideal is we have 2 firsts and a 4 th invested in these 2

Quote: @Jor-El said:
There is a mix of speculation in here about "starting QB contract" and "$5-$6M short-term deal". $6M per year is not NFL starting QB money, at least not for a "it's definitely your job!" starter. It's less than Nick Foles is getting to backup Wentz, and it's less than Bridgewater would have received if the Vikings had picked up his 5th-year-option. Would Bridgewater actually sign for that?
IMO giving Bridgewater such a deal would not prevent signing either Bradford or Keenum, as well. Of course, they might both leave town if we signed Bridgewater first. I think our 3 current QBs are each hoping to be "The One" and there is a bit of a game of chicken regarding who signs first...
Well I was thinking the 5-6 with incentives.  But that is crazy that Foles got more than that.  Guess it was a wise investment.  But I didn't realize how "poor" a contract that was.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Take it for what it's worth. I don't think any of these guys know any more than the rest of us, but in Googling the latest chatter on Vikings' QB debate, there's definitely a buzz in the media that the Vikings may be leaning toward Teddy.... 

NFL Update@MySportsUpdateExecutives around the league expect the #Vikings to give QB Teddy Bridgewater a short term and incentive based “prove it” type deal this offseason. They have not come to a conclusion on what they’ll do with Case Keenum.

Back in November, Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald said he could see the Vikings giving Bridgewater a short-term contract this offseason worth, “between $6 million and $7 million a year plus incentives.” He also mentioned Minnesota probably will not fight to toll the quarterback’s current deal if it ends up looking like something that requires the NFLPA to get involved.

It just makes the most sense.  Taking the emotion out of it.  He has the most longterm upside of the 3.  Give him a contract that pays him as a starter with a chance to build on it.  Players usually will bet on themselves.  Pay him to avoid the tolling and earn a starters salary, but allowing him to prove himself and earn the big payday.  If he does, then the Vikings will be happy to pay him a top salary.  If not, he made decent money and gave it a shot.

Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%
And the reasoning is pretty straightforward.  He'd be the least expensive to sign with the best upside.
My fear is we could see a repeat with Sammy's situation...the Vikes are in the midst of a great season and TB goes down with that bad wheel.  Who would be our backup and could we hope to see Case-clone 2.0?

That would be a fear with anyone. No matter who the QB is, he has to be backed up with someone qualified. Read the 3rd article I linked above. Rick calls the backup QB the 2nd most important position on the roster. And with so few appealing options out there in free agency, I keep coming back to the most ideal situation: Sam and Teddy. 
Despite preferences what makes it ideal is we have 2 firsts and a 4 th invested in these 2
Ah, that's not "ideal", that's "justifying spent draft picks". I actually hope the team management is not weighing that as a factor, because it can lead to clouded judgment and weaker decision-making. If a draft pick was a mistake - and I am NOT saying either was, just IF - a smart and confident GM admits it and moves on, rather than handicapping a team with a bad Ponder. I mean bad player.

Quote: @greediron said:
@Jor-El said:
There is a mix of speculation in here about "starting QB contract" and "$5-$6M short-term deal". $6M per year is not NFL starting QB money, at least not for a "it's definitely your job!" starter. It's less than Nick Foles is getting to backup Wentz, and it's less than Bridgewater would have received if the Vikings had picked up his 5th-year-option. Would Bridgewater actually sign for that?
IMO giving Bridgewater such a deal would not prevent signing either Bradford or Keenum, as well. Of course, they might both leave town if we signed Bridgewater first. I think our 3 current QBs are each hoping to be "The One" and there is a bit of a game of chicken regarding who signs first...
Well I was thinking the 5-6 with incentives.  But that is crazy that Foles got more than that.  Guess it was a wise investment.  But I didn't realize how "poor" a contract that was.
It isn't necessarily a bad contract; a lot of players would be thrilled by it. It would be a big raise over Bridgewater's pay so far. But pro athletes get weird perspectives about comparing their pay with others, and I really don't know if Bridgewater might have an idea he should already be at a certain salary level.
It also demonstrates what a bargain Keenum was. I wonder if a player who over-performs their contract tries to get their team to make up for it, something to the effect of Keenum saying, "You had me for $2M in 2017, so I should get $46M for the next 2 seasons and my average will be $16M from 2017-19..."?

I guess I just don't understand how much "upside" can be attributed to Teddy without a lot more info on his health and development...which is information limited to team insiders.

He (Teddy) has the most longterm upside of the 3.
I guess I just don't understand how this is a foregone conclusion for some.  People would be ecstatic if Teddy came in next year and had the season that Case just had.  But yet, Case already has a season like that under his belt, has been showing steady progression throughout his career, and doesn't have the catastrophic knee injury to overcome both mentally and physically like Teddy has.

If I get the time, I would really like to put together a trend-line analysis for Teddy's first two seasons to compare to Keenum's below.

[Image: 37CD5B18_1763_4CFC_8D74_AB5F6DD47D4F.jpeg]

[Image: 426E2D0C_3B8C_469B_AAE8_F1AE7DBDF02F.jpeg]

[Image: CC698DA6_A03B_489F_B4AE_364F71398BE7.jpeg]

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%

True.  But an injury like TB suffered...or Sammy for that matter...make their health far more guarded and will give everyone who sees them take a sack a little more sphincter tightening.  It can be argued TB's contract and incentives would be far more forgiving should the unthinkable happen. 

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%

True.  But an injury like TB suffered...or Sammy for that matter...make their health far more guarded and will give everyone who sees them take a sack a little more sphincter tightening.  It can be argued TB's contract and incentives would be far more forgiving should the unthinkable happen. 
Another way to look at why Bridgewater is more worrisome for injury than "any QB": if he were to reinjure the same knee, isn't it likely he would receive medical advice of, "Quit playing football before your mobility or life are in danger"?
Unlike all of us fans, Vikings coaches and management saw Bridgewater suffer an injury which was horrific and put him in danger of losing his leg. So many posters cite how Zimmer and others are fond of Teddy, as a person, and argue that is a reason they want him as the team's quarterback. But isn't it possible that personal fondness makes people who witnessed his injury NOT want to see him hurt again? Or that they do not want to be the people who put him back on the field if it does recur?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Another way to look at why Bridgewater is more worrisome for injury than "any QB": if he were to reinjure the same knee, isn't it likely he would receive medical advice of, "Quit playing football before your mobility or life are in danger"?
Unlike all of us fans, Vikings coaches and management saw Bridgewater suffer an injury which was horrific and put him in danger of losing his leg. So many posters cite how Zimmer and others are fond of Teddy, as a person, and argue that is a reason they want him as the team's quarterback. But isn't it possible that personal fondness makes people who witnessed his injury NOT want to see him hurt again? Or that they do not want to be the people who put him back on the field if it does recur?
Dunno, I think they have moved on from it.  It happened a year and a half ago.  He was well enough to play in a game in Dec, so he is healthy.  Not sure on a pro athletes mind, but I would wager they put the injury behind them and don't think of it.  Same with the coaches.  It happened, but he has recovered and they have moved on.

@MaroonBells said:

Except the part about him not having played for a couple of years now.  If they sign him there has to be a realistic fallback plan that doesnt waste the season should he falter.