Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: 'Vikings cannot let Keenum walk after this season'
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
He deserves to be retained on a team friendly long-term deal or the franchise tag, he doesn't deserve to have the 2018 starting job handed to him. 
I wouldnt even be opposed to pay him starter money for next year with team options for 20 and longer,  but now with a new OC, and new play calling,  I would like to see Case show that he is still going to be able to perform at a similar level.  I dont think the Vikes should really commit long term starter type money to any of the 3 at this point.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
He deserves to be retained on a team friendly long-term deal or the franchise tag, he doesn't deserve to have the 2018 starting job handed to him. 
Agree on the team friendly, long-term deal. Not aligned re: 2018 starter. I don't know why he'd bother to come back for a competition vs being the incumbent. 
All I am trying to say is that you don't promise him anything. But I would say the same thing for any QB not named Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, etc. 

I have long said that Sam has the best arm, but untrustworthy on health.  Case is like Favre (not as good yet) - ballsy gunslinger with emotion and right leadership attitude.

Teddy is one of the nicest guys ever, but so mild mannered and still uncertain on the deep throws or what condition he is really in after a major, major knee rebuild.

I'd go Case, and sign Sam too.  Lock-up $30M+ in the QB position over the next 2 years.  We have the cap space and then you hedge your bet of a mistake and risk Bridgewater becoming a star.  If you do that, and it fails, Viking fans will realize you made the safest bet you could.

Will be fascinating to see how the franchise manages through this...Hopefully we're not dealing with it for another 3+ weeks Smile

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Agree on the team friendly, long-term deal. Not aligned re: 2018 starter. I don't know why he'd bother to come back for a competition vs being the incumbent. 
All I am trying to say is that you don't promise him anything. But I would say the same thing for any QB not named Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, etc. 
I should preface my comments with the following disclaimer:
"All comments regarding the status of Case Keenum are stated under the implicit understanding that: 

1) He has 'earned' the job through sustained proven performance, 
2) His performance doesn't regress in any way, and continues to perform in a manner comparable to his current performance. 

Any violation of the aforementioned terms or any performance resembling Trevor Seimian, Christian Ponder, or Brock Osweiler will result in an immediate retraction of the prior stated opinion."
 Wink 

I'm similar to Tom. With the love we seem to have for Sloter, keep developing him, sign Case and Teddy (lock up approx. 25M) so our D and all those upcoming stars can be resigned and still maybe 1 or 2 FA to bring in.
Although Sam has the arm, he only has a few games per year left with that knee, so he isn't worth much (he is shot unless he will sign for a 5M per year or less deal). Case gets the Gannon "prove it" starter deal, but lets see.

Quote: @"Tom Moore" said:
I have long said that Sam has the best arm, but untrustworthy on health.  Case is like Favre (not as good yet) - ballsy gunslinger with emotion and right leadership attitude.

Teddy is one of the nicest guys ever, but so mild mannered and still uncertain on the deep throws or what condition he is really in after a major, major knee rebuild.

I'd go Case, and sign Sam too.  Lock-up $30M+ in the QB position over the next 2 years.  We have the cap space and then you hedge your bet of a mistake and risk Bridgewater becoming a star.  If you do that, and it fails, Viking fans will realize you made the safest bet you could.
Tom, any insight into Bridgewater's mind?  I was a little taken back that he wasn't in the locker room for very long at all after the game Sunday.  Maybe he just doesn't want to be a distraction, or is he starting to distance himself from the team a little more, especially after Sam was named the backup on Sunday?  Did you get any sense either way from him or the team on Sunday?

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:

Tom, any insight into Bridgewater's mind?  I was a little taken back that he wasn't in the locker room for very long at all after the game Sunday.  Maybe he just doesn't want to be a distraction, or is he starting to distance himself from the team a little more, especially after Sam was named the backup on Sunday?  Did you get any sense either way from him or the team on Sunday?
I was thinking the same thing. It seems at odds with the Teddy we've come to know. 

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:

Initial appearances tell me that is a huge 360 for the kid. That not being dressed for the divisional round was a big deal.

Then again, he may just not want to be a distraction for Case.

We'll see...

No one doubts Keenum has earned a contract and has proven himself a winning starter.  That doesnt mean you stop looking for a franchise player at that position.  Can Teddy elevate his game to the franchise level?  we dont know.  QB is the most important position on the team and you have to trust the evaluators to make the right call.   personally i would not offer case top 10 money for a LT deal.  just because you pay him Brees type money will not turn him into Brees