Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Tax Meat
i will throw my hat into this conversation. Medaille makes a great point, one not typically discussed in that we already subsidize meat. People love to complain and use “cost” as a reasoning to get 3 dollar menu cheeseburgers versus buying a head of lettuce and broccoli.  When the purchasing of that meat has massive hidden costs down the road.  

environmental impact and health care costs are beyond massive on a macro scale, which is what we are talking about here.  Animal
agriculture isnt the sole contributor to death or the destruction of the planet, but a plays a role, and you unnecessarily could be attributing to it

the rampant and dangerous uses of water and land to feed animals is ridiculous, not even calculating their damaging environmental impact from their lives (methane production and fertilizer overusage damaging our water table with high levels of phosphorus, the cheapest of the fertilizer components).  Not even discussing the fact that over 3 out of 4 antibiotics produced in the US are used solely for animal agriculture. here, with your cheeseburger comes a side of antibiotics, which is directly contributing to super bacteria like MRSA. Re land, just the grain produced to feed animals in this country could feed this country 2X over if it was plant based. the amout of water needed for producing a kg of meat protein versus a kg of grain protein is 100X more

health care, the number 1 killer of americans is heart disease, with the growth of heart disease and meat consumption in developing countries going hand and hand.  chorlesterol, heart disease, heart attacks, cancer rates are SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER for a meat eater vs being a plant based eater. these have massive detrimental costs to our health care system (including our mental health system, gut - brain axis).  Have a female in your life who has breast cancer?  have her quit dairy and meat and watch her suppress the cancer growth rates in mere weeks. Nobel prize winning scientist, found that a plant based diet altered 500 genes in tbe body in only 3 months, turning off genes that cause breast cancer, heart disease, prostate cancer and other issues. Fuck you Susan G Komen, attaching your pink labels to dairy and yogurt products knowing that dairy increases the rate of breast cancer.  

the science coming out is only the tip of the iceberg, as we learn we have killed everything (the planet, ourselves and billions of sentinent beings) for this insatiable need for meat. 

there are so many ways to discuss this issue but with realistic less damaging alternatives hitting the market, its only a matter of time before meat eating, milk drinking will be a dumbass thing our population as a whole used to do.  

i encourage you to go check out facts, not meat
industry sponsored studies, to see what is real and what is not. Did you know that the World Health Organization lists red meat as a class one CARCINOGEN?  No, because the meat and dairy industry of the world doesnt want you to know it. Remember, “Got Milk?”, preaching calcium intake, growing stronger bones?  Yeah, weve come to find out it is a lie. That the countries with the highest intake of dairy have also the highest rate of OSTEOPEROSIS. Plus, why the fuck do you drink COw milk?  do you drink cat or dog milk?  would you?  probably not because you would find it disgusting or repulsive  Cow milk was never meant for you to drink, you are not a baby cow, youre a human being, made to drink your mothers milk.  Mammals stop drinking milk, because once they are grown they dont need it any more, why do humans?  Because we have been sold it, sold it for years and years. Luckily people are waking up and quitting milk, choosing alternatives that have a similar taste quality without the cancer, calcium issues, rape and unnecessary death associated with it. 

your intestinal track is closer to being an herbivores intestinal length than a carnivore, meaning that the consumption of meat is not good for staying in your body that length of time. your body is not meant to handle meat in it, hence for one hot dog eaten per day (meat weight equivalent), you increase your chances of stomach cancer by almost 20%. You can find that on the American Cancer Society website

when you add up the environmental ($306 billion in 2017 in the US alone associated with weather disasters/climate change) and health care ($3.3 trillion annually) impacts that meat has on it, including discussing the subsidies (billions including $5 billion in CORN CROP INSURANCE PREMIUM COVERAGE, with a majority of the corn only grown to feed animals) involved for keeping the cost of meat down, YES we are in need of a real discussion about meat, taxing it, and educating people on the realities of it

Too many people defend the animal agriculture industry and they dont know why other thats what have been conditioned to do. Going plant based starts your freedom from this bullshit and a true path to improving the one thing your truly own, your own health 

I have a plant based diet... my cattle eat plants and I eat them.  Thanks for playing let's use lots of tortured stats and extreme situations and try to sell it as the norm to try and scare people... might as well be the govt.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I have a plant based diet... my cattle eat plants and I eat them.  Thanks for playing let's use lots of tortured stats and extreme situations and try to sell it as the norm to try and scare people... might as well be the govt.
you at least understand where your sacred protein comes from, the plants your food eats. why not cut out the middle man?  especially when these stats which are globally accepted, state that eating meat is ultimately bad for you?  i guess you like increasing your rate of death, cancer, disease as well as millions of others and the cost associated with it so much that you cant put down the burger, pork chop, steak.  Dont take my word for it, take it from various national and international respected journals, universities, labs and organizations

scare people, look around america. what is scary is disgustingly unhealthy people who take your tax money away to pay for their health care bills?  for a conservative voice, i would expect you to be against a higher health care cost to this country

btw you havent addressed any single point brought up, just focused on your self and your own needs. 

[Image: eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif]

get yo popcorn ready. I an absolutely interested in opening up people’s eyes to a new way of thinking while using a biological reasoning that is irrefutable.  Your mouth and intestinal tract tell you that you are a herbivore much more than a carnivore. Its called thinking and reason

For a period of time doctors told you smoking was good for you, why?  lack of science and pressure of special interest, so knowing this is possible why in the world would rational human beings not wonder the same about the one commodity we purchase for survival, food??

again, its not one man’s opinion, its the collection of evolving and overwhelming data that says we have to look at the way we do things, destroying pre conceived or condtioned notions, rituals, and traditions. 

So I grew up on a dairy farm so some of my knowledge cannot be said with 100% confidence in every single case.

I can however say that you have never ever in your entire life ever consumed a diary product with any "significant" level of antibiotics in it.  I know this because every tank is tested every time its picked up 100% of the time.  The tests are accurate to 1PPM.  They are testing for other things in milk to 1PPB so Its likely the antibiotic test has improved as well.  If a farmer screws up and puts a cow thats been treated in the tank the farmer buys the truck if its caught before it hits the silos.  If it were to make it to a silo the farmer buys the silo.  Now I put "significant" in because maybe just maybe you've consumed 1PPT in dairy?  But not enough to call it antibiotics in your food.

On steer production any time an animal was treated with any drug the drug had a wait time for the residuals to pass.  We're talking weeks not hours.  Every animal is tested. 

I cannot attest to hog or chicken production for sure but it is my understanding that all low level antibiotic feeding (they did this because it showed a single digit increase in rate of gain) has stopped.  Even when the practice of blanket antibiotics was happening the animals still had a wait period before slaughter and were tested. 

The whole "antibiotic scare" was cooked up by animal rights groups as a way to get people off meat.  No differently then the "lets tax meat" idea being discussed in this thread.

I could go on and on for days on these topics but I have to get my kids. 

Bottom line.  If you want to eat healthy start by shopping at the farmers market.  Get to know where your food comes from.  They'll show you if you ask to tour. 

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
you at least understand where your sacred protein comes from, the plants your food eats. why not cut out the middle man?  especially when these stats which are globally accepted, state that eating meat is ultimately bad for you?  i guess you like increasing your rate of death, cancer, disease as well as millions of others and the cost associated with it so much that you cant put down the burger, pork chop, steak.  Dont take my word for it, take it from various national and international respected journals, universities, labs and organizations

scare people, look around america. what is scary is disgustingly unhealthy people who take your tax money away to pay for their health care bills?  for a conservative voice, i would expect you to be against a higher health care cost to this country

btw you havent addressed any single point brought up, just focused on your self and your own needs. 
waiting in kid pick up line so ill keep it short

its not meat thats killing us. humans have been eating for melenia. acess to refined sugar on the other hand seems to chorolate pretty nicely with all the scary things youve been typing

oh and id like one example of a thread on any football board changing someones mind on anything

fyi the lions share of corn production is going into ethanhol not livestock.