Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By now, you'd have to pry job away from Vikings' Case Keenum
Keenum is coming off a stretch of 3 games where he has thrown for 70% completion and at least 280 yards in each game.  Only Tom Brady has also done that this year.  Case also has thrown 7 TDs and rushed for 1 TD against only 2 Ints in that span, against 3 possible playoff teams (2 on the road).

And fans are saying that he should be benched if he comes out flat for a half.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
Keenum is coming off a stretch of 3 games where he has thrown for 70% completion and at least 280 yards in each game.  Only Tom Brady has also done that this year.  Case also has thrown 7 TDs and rushed for 1 TD against only 2 Ints in that span, against 3 possible playoff teams (2 on the road).

And fans are saying that he should be benched if he comes out flat for a half.

This is why we can't have nice things.
how is giving somebody a half going to fuck up a career back up QBs mentality?  he is used to bouncing in and out of games.  I dont think Case or anybody else on this team is that fragile mentally.

maybe you cant have nice things because you are afraid to look at other things and are willing to settle for what you have?  

Keenum is no Matt Stafford, and he shouldnt try to be.  Stafford is an elite player with additional skills but Keenum has proven himself as a capable and productive starter.  Hopefully we keep playing with leads and keep Case’s limitations masked. The way he’s playing is a delight to watch, and im hopeful we dont need to ask him to spread the field and lead a major comeback, cause its the only thing im convinced he still cannot do

Zimmer is not appeasing Teddy by trying to get him on the field he is appeasing his own desire based on his knowledge and experience.  Case is playing great so he has to shelf that for the current situation.  For the big picture he has to appease himself and probably the front office before they decide who will be here long term.  Case turns 30 in February and likely will only get this one contract, they better get it right.  IF they overpay a 30yo QB in a long term 5 year deal and he reverts to his career norm while letting a 25 year potential long term answer walk it will all be a colossal failure unless they are holding a Lombardi, and even so it could be a one and done if they are wrong.

Case is playing great, enjoy the ride as far as it takes us but long term it makes a lot of sense to find out where Teddy is at before the offseason and the negotiations with Case and Teddy.  If Teddy were to get on the field for a game or so and look just as good or better it gives them leverage with Case while Teddy would still have some left to prove post injury.

Say what you want but...Case has the # 2 QBR in the NFL. Ahead of Tom Brady.

edit: link
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

LOL
And round and round we go...  here's the deal...  Case is playing some really good football...  the best of his career...  the Vikings are 9-2 and on a 7 game win streak against some good opponents.  There is no sense in constantly debating hypotheticals... plenty of games left to play and the QB situation will sort itself out.
Just enjoy the wins, baby!!!
BOOM

Congrats to Case. He has done a great job and handled the situation so well. I really like how Teddy and Case talk about each other. Both know it's about doing what's best for the team. Both have been 100% pure class throughout. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
the original goal was a NFC north crown,  Where they are sitting right now I think they have to be eyeing home field advantage.  If Case continues to be the man... absolutely he should be the starter,  but I wouldnt hesitate to make a move in a game if Case were to come out really flat in the first half as long as the game was still within reach.  Each game going forward is still just as important in a SB run IMO as yesterdays was.   I dont care who is on the field,  or who thinks they have earned anything... I just want to see the winning continue.  Lightning in a bottle.
You can also completely mess with the team, their rhthym, and their confidence by making major and unnecessary changes.

So if Teddy was the starter and had a bad half at this point in the season, you would be in favor of pulling him for the backup?
if they come out and there is no rhythm  what are you risking?  you would rather take a loss than replace a player that is having an off day?    I didnt say it had to be a season long change,  but if Case is looking flat and the O isnt being productive its likely a loss anyway,  why not use it as an opportunity to see what Teddy has to offer?  Maybe the team still loses,  maybe they dont,  but its an opportunity to get a look before we would have to buy.
I guess I would say that I don't look at a season as a collection of 16 completely separate games, but more as an entity that ebbs and flows for 4 months and I've said for years that confidence and momentum matter in football maybe more than any other sport.  So like I said, I just think you can mess with a team's chemistry and rhythm possibly by making such a major change on such a short leash.  Look at last year, seasons can go off the rails very quickly, and once they do, it's next to impossible to get them back on track.  So I am a big supporter of not fixing whats not broken, especially when it has gone as well as it has this year.

What if Teddy comes in and does well for one half?  Do you go with Teddy after just one half or do you stick with the guy who got you there and has played lights out but looked flat for a half?  Then you have a full-blown QB controversy late in the season and even possibly a divided locker room as I'm sure some players would be pulling for Case and others for Teddy.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Keenum is no Matt Stafford, and he shouldnt try to be.
I agree, he has way better pocket presence and mobility. Wink

Quote: @NodakViking said:
Zimmer is not appeasing Teddy by trying to get him on the field he is appeasing his own desire based on his knowledge and experience.  Case is playing great so he has to shelf that for the current situation.  For the big picture he has to appease himself and probably the front office before they decide who will be here long term.  Case turns 30 in February and likely will only get this one contract, they better get it right.  IF they overpay a 30yo QB in a long term 5 year deal and he reverts to his career norm while letting a 25 year potential long term answer walk it will all be a colossal failure unless they are holding a Lombardi, and even so it could be a one and done if they are wrong.

Case is playing great, enjoy the ride as far as it takes us but long term it makes a lot of sense to find out where Teddy is at before the offseason and the negotiations with Case and Teddy.  If Teddy were to get on the field for a game or so and look just as good or better it gives them leverage with Case while Teddy would still have some left to prove post injury.
They were talking on the post-game radio show yesterday that its very possible that they toll Teddy's contract next year.  To me, that would be the perfect scenario, but it was a little surprising to hear that yesterday as I had pretty much assumed that was no longer an option.