Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum + Sloter for 2018?
I dont think we see bridgewater again this season. I think that at somepoint you have to let the season be what it will be and we are at that point. If we continue to roll and get HFT then you might see bridgewater play. Otherwise its Case from here on out.

If Bradford is done, then he will go down as a 1st round bust.

Quote: @"dukes" said:
If Bradford is done, then he will go down as a 1st round bust.
Yes, and he wouldn't be the first. If Bridgewater ends up leaving and all we ever got was 2 decent seasons with a total of 28 TD passes, he might fairly get scored as a misfire, as well.

If the Vikings keep playing well all season and have a playoff run, it isn't going to be so important to score Spielman's draft picks. Yes, I've been one of those who did that, but it was relevant when we were trying to figure out why the team disappointed - hopefully that won't be needed this year.

I think we sign Bridgewater to a backup contract in the offseason with incentives.  Then sign Case to a ten million plus incentives contract and let them fight it out in camp.  If Case takes us to the playoffs and we win a game or two maybe he is the guy of the future.  I am afraid he is Derek Anderson 2.0 though but would love it if he proves me wrong.

Too easy to underestimate Case imo.  Having a qb move in the pocket as well as Case is different for this team - and I think one reason why this line is doing very well. 

Cases game is working for now,  I still don't think he has the arm to be a QB1 for the long term future,  but right now he is doing what needs to be done and getting away with what he doesn't do well so...roll with it,  but I don't think we are ready to close the book on Teddy or even talk extension for Case....why would Case want a deal that isn't QB1 money without seeing what FA offers first?

The qb arm isn't a factor if he can make the throws he needs to make.  And he does.  

Though I admit when he throws the long moon ball I am on edge until I see Thielen there.  

If we get up in some game by 3 scores in the 4th Quarter, I think there is a slim chance we will see Teddy out there on mop-up duty...just to give him some game time (and not risk injury to Case).

The immobile Bradford is done.  Period.  We milked that one as long as his gimpy knee allowed, and I for one, am thankful for his time here.

I think too many folks assume Keenum is playing over his head, because he wasn't drafted, he got benched, he played for three/four teams (if you count two stints with the Texans), before he got here.  Hardly.

In the 2008 college football season, Keenum ranked first nationally in total offense and second in total passing yards.[3][4] As a result of his on-field contributions to Houston's success, Keenum was named to several All-American lists. He is the only quarterback in Division I FBS football history to have passed for more than 5,000 yards in each of three seasons. That season, Keenum became the Football Bowl Subdivision's all-time leader in total offense, as well as the all-time leader in total touchdown passes by an FBS quarterback.

Face it.  He knows how to chuck the rock.  We have an embarrassment of riches at the QB position right now.  Sloter obviously ain't bad in the development queue.  But kudos to Rick for picking up Keenum off the junk pile and giving him a shot to make this team as a backup.  He's doing exactly what you would want a perfect backup to step in and do...he is possibly "Wally Pipp"-ing Teddy. 

I think the Vikings will continue to play Keenum for this season, but won't hesitate to put in Bridgewater, if necessary.  

Whether the Vikings play Bridgewater or Keenum in 2018 may depend on if Shurmur is still the OC.  I'm more concerned about keeping Shurmur as OC than the starting 2018 QB.

I still contend that Teddy has likely looked better in practice and thats why we had the debate the last couple weeks,  otherwise I think Zim or somebody would have put all the blah blah to rest by simply saying that Teddy wasnt ready yet and finish it with something complimentary of Teddys hard work and then put the endorsement behind Case.

However... if its working... ride that bitch til she bucks ya.  Teddy will get his chance either this year or possibly next year,  here or some where.

Just thinking... offer both Teddy and Case the same contract,  make it a 2 part contract that will pay either one average starter money for next year and the other near the top back up money with an option for an out after next year.  Let them compete through camp to see who gets what and then that will give the other player the chance to move on after next year if they want.  somthing like 18 million for the starter and 7 million for the back up.  ( and then watch Sloter take the #2 spot just to screw this up.  :p )   maybe structure it so the starter can get their deal redone after year one or put some decent escalators in it for a few years.

I dont know if this would fly for either player,  but it would make for some interesting camp drama and IMO if one or the other were to refuse the deal... then I think we might know right there who the better QB is, unless either of them think they are going to get a lot more on the open market.