Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Y'all realize something special is about to take the field in Mankato, right?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
I think we have a piece in Cook that can be one of the most dangerous people with the ball in his hands but he wont be asked to do as much as we asked Peterson to do.
Cook will be an added weapon that you can use in that way and can help the offense in a way Peterson really didn't. Peterson was a bell cow pure rusher. I think Cook is a good Moss comparison when it comes to how he will be used in this offense.
Everyone knew Peterson was getting the ball. Cook I think can add a much more dynamic to the offense all around.
I actually see Moss better compared to AD in that they really werent asked to do that much early on,  its just that they were so good at the 1 thing they did that they were really special players.  Now Cook, if we are to believe the hype, has the chance to really set the bar up higher.  Cook has the potential to fill those crys that we heard about AD for a complete RB,  not just a ball carrier, but a pass blocker, and a receiver on dump offs, as well as the deeper routes...but time will tell.  He has to earn his PT first.

Moss wasn't expected to carry the ball on every down though. Moss was expected to use his special talent to light it up whenever the ball was thrown his way. I think Cook will be used in more of an all around role and more of the weapon that Moss was and not just as a runner like AP was.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"MagnusEugeneHefeweizen" said:
pf, do you think Cook will have more impact than AP?
No, cant declare that with conviction...Probably a poor articulation vs intent in my OP.

How about the "most electrifying" since Moss? Yah, that's closer to what I meant Smile

A Big Hell Yeah to your "most electrifying." I like how you said that, good sir!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"MagnusEugeneHefeweizen" said:
pf, do you think Cook will have more impact than AP?
No, cant declare that with conviction...Probably a poor articulation vs intent in my OP.

How about the "most electrifying" since Moss? Yah, that's closer to what I meant Smile

as far as opening up an offense,  I think its possible that he will have a bigger impact on how the entire offense operates than AD did.  Not taking away from AD,  but I think after the league figured out how the Vikings were able to use him his impact on opposing defenses lessened.  He was still great from time to time, but he wasnt nearly as dominating.  ( 2012 was something special,  but even by then teams were figuring him out... they just couldnt stop him.)
Jimmy, damn if I don't agree with this entire post...

Wet blanket time..

No I do not realize that.  I certainly hope so.  But to see him compared to Moss and AD without a snap vs NFL talent is rather over the top if you ask me... but it's the offseason on football message board so I get it.  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/d...id=2557991

Weaknesses Not always a tough inside runner. Can be
early to bounce it outside rather than plant and go downhill. Needs to
become more comfortable between the tackles. Excellent vision to the
perimeter becomes cloudier between the b-gaps. Will duck head and finish
a run prematurely rather than probing for more interior space. Not
always small through the crease. Flashes ability to finish with
authority but makes business decisions at times. Hips not as fluid as
expected. Would benefit from use of a hearty stiff-arm.
Inconsistent
hands in all phases. Ball security issues with 13 career fumbles.

Suffers from focus drops out of backfield.
Won't square-up on blitzers
and may not be reliable enough as blocker to play on third downs.

Draft Projection Rounds 1-2

Like I said, I'm hopeful that he turns out to be something special, but in reality I'm much more hopeful that our offensive line was fixed during the off season.  Peterson just enforced my belief that I would rather have a solid line blocking for an average runner than a superstar back behind a below average line.  I loved watching Peterson do his thing... but I also loved watching him and Chester put up 1,341 and 844 respectively in 2007.  I want to see all of our RBs do well and Sam(or Teddy) kept clean.   I will wait to see what Cook looks like in camp before getting too excited and also preseason games.  He should stand out in preseason if he's going to be something special. 

His earlier comment about "everyone being fast here" cooled my enthusiasm... so for me, it's a wait and see.... and hope.    

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Wet blanket time..

No I do not realize that.  I certainly hope so.  But to see him compared to Moss and AD without a snap vs NFL talent is rather over the top if you ask me... but it's the offseason on football message board so I get it.  

Inconsistent

Like I said, I'm hopeful that he turns out to be something special, but in reality I'm much more hopeful that our offensive line was fixed during the off season.  Peterson just enforced my belief that I would rather have a solid line blocking for an average runner than a superstar back behind a below average line.  I loved watching Peterson do his thing... but I also loved watching him and Chester put up 1,341 and 844 respectively in 2007.  I want to see all of our RBs do well and Sam(or Teddy) kept clean.   I will wait to see what Cook looks like in camp before getting too excited and also preseason games.  He should stand out in preseason if he's going to be something special. 

His earlier comment about "everyone being fast here" cooled my enthusiasm... so for me, it's a wait and see.... and hope.    

Did you miss Zimmer's comment about Rhodes trying to chase Cook down?

Wet blanket time..

Inconsistent

its certainly all hype at this point.

you know what I really am hoping for... an offense that can come out of the gate and hang 3 scores on the board and take a nice lead into the locker room at the half and an offensive line that can come out and just grind the hell out of the clock in the 3rd and 4th quarters leaving our D on the bench.  the casual fan doesnt like to see those types of game plans... but I love watching a good OL just dominate an opposing Ds front 7.   as long as its not our D.

All hype no doubt. I just got a gut feeling on this one...

I am anticipating something "special"

Wet blanket time..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/dalvin-cook?id=2557991
Inconsistent

I, too, am cautiously optimistic Cook will be mentioned in the same breath as Moss or AD. 
And I am also concerned the O line can make enough holes for Murray and Cook to be effective 'cause it all starts from there.  If the "swingin' door" days of the past 3+ years remain, Cook will need to have wings if he expects to get beyond the line of scrimmage.

Cook is accustomed to running behind subpar lines, his style and vision allow him to both hide behind & follow his available blocking, bursting through at the precise moment to maximize yardage. Watch his film, he's not getting caught for lack of speed. Should be fun to watch!  B)

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said: 
Did you miss Zimmer's comment about Rhodes trying to chase Cook down?
Yes I did miss it....  (looking, looking.... )     This one? 

"I think he has a chance to be special.... you know he's a ah.....  you know there was a play yesterday that,,, I don't know if it got thru or not.  But it,,,  you know Xavier is trying to catch him... and he's haulin' now...   You know I just think this guy's got a chance to be pretty good.  Now he has somethings he's gotta work on, like all young backs"  

He goes on say he's been impressed with him this Spring, compliements Rick for getting this kid. 

To me.... that sounded like coach speak.   Not trumpets sounding the arrival of a hero.  We have no idea what happened in the play that Rhodes was trying to catch him.   Busted play, Rhodes came from the other side of the field, Cook took a screen pass and out ran everybody,(think Moss vs Taints.)  But whatever, I'm not going to bash or praise the kid until I see him myself.