Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM CASE?
Rather than repeat myself, I'll just refer you to this article, which sums up what I feel. The writer of this piece did also say this: "There are two types of people in this world: People who think Case Keenum should start the rest of the season and people who have actually watched him play this season." Which leads me to believe that there might be a mean spirited bias to his analysis, but he's not wrong in the article below...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-viki...m-bradford

Quote: @"greediron" said:
One fumble was on Case, correct?

What more do I want?  More than 7 points at home.  Yes, two of the fumbles were not on him.  But 7 points at home.   Defense played lights out and we only score 7. 

What do I expect?  Consistency.  But not sure I actually expect that.  He is a great backup.  Lots of energy, plays well enough to win most games.  But avoiding the WTF plays would be a good start.
When Sam went on IR, Case went to starter. He started every game but one.
Teddy is currently the backup.

If you don't think he makes pre-snap decisions on where he's going to throw the ball regardless of whether that target is covered or not....

If you don't think he tends to stare down his Receiver...

If you don't think he throws a lot of floaters...

If you don't think opposing DBs have dropped at least 4 sure-fire picks...

Then you don't understand the loud group that is happy with how far Keenum has taken this team but sees dark clouds on thw horizon against better Defenses.

I like Case. He is a Viking. He is helping us win. He is trying his best. He gets hit and he gets up again. I like his moxie or spirit or confidence or whatever you want to call it. And I like that he throws the ball downfield. But he is not without some significant faults. 
The jump ball to Rudolph against Washington was a really bad decision.  Something you might expect from a rookie or Jay Cutler. For a guy who has been in the NFL for a few years and who knows we have a good defense, those kinds of decisions leave me shaking my head. 
His arm is below average so his passes are usually in the air for way too long. Every time he throws to flat I expect a Swearinger-type result.  Now that he has thrown one, you know DBs will be looking for more (he can actually use that to his advantage by faking that pass and sending the receiver long).
The ball sails on him too frequently, especially when he rolls out of the pocket.  That more of those passes have not been picked is remarkable.  Sometimes it seems like it takes him forever to throw the ball.  The pass to Thielen for the TD vs. Washington is one. The pass to Thielen for the TD vs. Cleveland is another.  By the time Thielen caught the ball, he was standing flat-footed at the back of the endzone.  But he was wide open five yards down the field and Case had seen him.
I am not blaming Keenum for the 2 losses. Those were team losses. (Had we lost the Washington game, that would have been on him.)  But as soon as he thought that Bradford was even arguably able to walk fast enough to play, Zimmer put him in and sat Case.  And now he seems to be looking for an opportunity to start playing Teddy. I doubt that it is because he loves Teddy.  Zimmer's first responsibility is to the team, not to Teddy. He has 52+ other guys counting on him to make the right decisions for the team.
I was hoping that Case was going to shut everyone up with the way he played the first 6 or 7 possessions against Washington. He was getting it done in spades. Yes, there were some scary passes. But almost everything he did came out right.  Then came the interceptions. And you could feel things start to change.  Suddenly, the coaches were doubting Case. Teddy gets up and grabs his helmet. Was he coming in? Shurmur almost stopped calling passes.  But Teddy stayed on the bench and Shurmur called just enough pass plays to get one more FG before shutting it down.
So a game that we led in the second half 35-17 (thanks largely to Case) we let Washington back in the game (thanks largely to Case) and hang on to win 38-30.
It's not just the fans who have their doubts about Case. The coaches do, too. And they are caused by Case. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
If you don't think he makes pre-snap decisions on where he's going to throw the ball regardless of whether that target is covered or not....

If you don't think he tends to stare down his Receiver...

If you don't think he throws a lot of floaters...

If you don't think opposing DBs have dropped at least 4 sure-fire picks...

Then you don't understand the loud group that is happy with how far Keenum has taken this team but sees dark clouds on thw horizon against better Defenses.
Then your not being positive,only looking for gloom.
You got to believe we can win.

If Teddy was QB I would be rooting for him 100%. I wouldn't be saying I know he is going to fail,I know he is going to lose.

I would be saying come on Teddy you can do it.

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
I don't understand why people think you can't support both QBs. 

Keenum has played well, but has some flaws that many believe will show up during games against better competition.  I don't know how that is some outlandish take.  

Some believe the time away for Bridgewater will be detrimental to his game.  Another reasonable take.

Some believe that Bridgewater would do better against the tougher competition than Keenum.  Fair take. 

Zimmer makes the call.  I will not proclaim Zimmer as a terrible coach if he sticks with Keenum.  What will you say if Zimmer goes to Bridgewater?  Ask yourself that.
That 3rd point is where I think most have an issue. With Teddy not having seen live bullets in nearly 16 months, how anyone could expect him to come in and immediately start playing better than what we've seen out of Keenum is a fools bet. 

While I certainly am not giving up on Teddy, or doubting that he has the higher upside long term, changing horses this deep in the season when Keenum is playing well, because the grass MIGHT be greener while betting our playoff hopes on him is beyond wishful thinking. 

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
That 3rd point is where I think most have an issue. With Teddy not having seen live bullets in nearly 16 months, how anyone could expect him to come in and immediately start playing better than what we've seen out of Keenum is a fools bet. 

While I certainly am not giving up on Teddy, or doubting that he has the higher upside long term, changing horses this deep in the season when Keenum is playing well, because the grass MIGHT be greener while betting our playoff hopes on him is beyond wishful thinking. 

Spot on. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
One fumble was on Case, correct?

What more do I want?  More than 7 points at home.  Yes, two of the fumbles were not on him.  But 7 points at home.   Defense played lights out and we only score 7. 

What do I expect?  Consistency.  But not sure I actually expect that.  He is a great backup.  Lots of energy, plays well enough to win most games.  But avoiding the WTF plays would be a good start.
What fumble?  Case did not fumble  Mckinnon and Cook on the wildcat, cook on his injury and Theilen to end the game.
And I just re watched the game  With the exception of one pass that theilen appeared to be open for a TD He did everything you could ask for in a QB.   

Case has guided the offense to 34, 23 and 24 in home games outside of Detroit. 

Is there anything saying that Case CAN'T be a starter in this league other than past history? I am starting to wonder if the guy could actually be a starter. I'd bet other teams that may need a QB are starting to keep a tab on him as well. 

Most of what was already said applies to my concerns.  I'm mostly worried about interceptions and him not really playing quality teams.  I think against the better teams, he'll try to force the ball too much and give the other team some easy interceptions.

I think he's been playing admirably.  I'm not shitting bricks if he's starting.  I think a healthy Bridgewater would outperform him most games and would upgrade our offense from good to great.  I'm not too worried about it.  This upcoming stretch of games will really solidify things as there's a lot of good teams in a row.  Either Case will look great or he'll look underwhelming.  I trust Zimmer to play the right QB.