Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are the GM -- what do you do?
Quote: @"LabGeek" said:
Note that I'm a huge Bridgewater Bobo. 

How about this hypothetical... What if Teddy doesn't play this year and the team rides the Case wagon. 

What leverage does Teddy have? Would it not be in Teddy's best interests, at that point, to stick with familiarity (say a one or two year deal) and prove he is worth a mega contract? 

How big of a deal could Teddy realistically fetch with zero documented proof, outside of what the Vikings know, that he is physically and mentally going to be able to perform at a high level again (honest question here)? And would that deal be too "rich" for the Vikings to match/outbid? If it is, wouldn't that indicate the team has some serious doubts about his future?

Entirely possible I'm the naive one here, wouldn't be the first time... Lol! But, if it's me, you play Case and bring Teddy in if the ride starts to get bumpy.
This also depends on how far the "Case wagon" goes. If we get to the playoffs with Case and win even one game, the Vikings have to give Keenum a significant multi-year contract. Then, why would Bridgewater stick around?

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
As Denny used to say you dont lose your job due to injury. Teddy plays, probably the 2nd half of the LA game. Wins it for us with a 2 min drive. Thank you very very much Case, we trust you, we love you, but it is Teddy’s time to fulfill his destiny. 

2018 - TEDDY, Kyle, 4th Round Draft pick
My attitude completely. If Bridgewater is healthy enough to be activated and play, he starts. Start him November 12 in Washington.

Maybe I missed something here, but I was under the impression that Teddy's contract has tolled for next year because he was on the PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season.  It's now week 9 and he's still not active.  If that's true, we don't NEED to see him this year.  He'll be under contract and we'll be able to see him plenty next year at like 1.6 million or something close to it.  Or has this assumption been proven incorrect?  I know that PA will probably fight it, but I haven't heard it was decided the other way yet.

Case is not a franchise QB but he's getting the job done and doing it pretty damn well.  Expecting perfection out of him or we'll replace him is a bit harsh, IMO.  If we lose a game, you lose your job?   As an example - What if we lose 30-27?   I'm saying the D lost the game, not Case.  We've won 5 games because of Case stepping up and I think he's being treated a bit unfairly by the fans.  In my opinion he's earned some rope.  Let's be honest, Teddy could be WAY worse than Case.  Just for the simple fact that he hasn't played the game, at game speed, since Jesus was a baby.  We don't know how mobile he is.  He WAS mobile, before the injury.  But that doesn't mean he is now, wearing that brace.  We don't know if he's going to be seeing ghosts out there.  Chances are, his timing with the receivers is going to be off.  We don't know how he's going to play in this system.  All we can do is make assumptions based on nearly 1 1/2 year old memories.  I can't pick up golf clubs after 6 months off and play like I did the fall before.  Expecting Teddy to be who he was, after 1 1/2 years off is a bit unrealistic.  And if he's bad for a game or two, then what?  We've hurt the teams position because we have fond memories or because we like 1 guy over another?    

Long story short.  You don't fix, what isn't broken.  You stay with Case until he's injured or until desperate times call for desperate measures.  The team is playing well, putting up points and we have a shut down D.  This isn't the time to experiment.          

Quote: @"AllBS" said:
Maybe I missed something here, but I was under the impression that Teddy's contract has tolled for next year because he was on the PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season.  It's now week 9 and he's still not active.  If that's true, we don't NEED to see him this year.  He'll be under contract and we'll be able to see him plenty next year at like 1.6 million or something close to it.  Or has this assumption been proven incorrect?  I know that PA will probably fight it, but I haven't heard it was decided the other way yet.

Case is not a franchise QB but he's getting the job done and doing it pretty damn well.  Expecting perfection out of him or we'll replace him is a bit harsh, IMO.  If we lose a game, you lose your job?   As an example - What if we lose 30-27?   I'm saying the D lost the game, not Case.  We've won 5 games because of Case stepping up and I think he's being treated a bit unfairly by the fans.  In my opinion he's earned some rope.  Let's be honest, Teddy could be WAY worse than Case.  Just for the simple fact that he hasn't played the game, at game speed, since Jesus was a baby.  We don't know how mobile he is.  He WAS mobile, before the injury.  But that doesn't mean he is now, wearing that brace.  We don't know if he's going to be seeing ghosts out there.  Chances are, his timing with the receivers is going to be off.  We don't know how he's going to play in this system.  All we can do is make assumptions based on nearly 1 1/2 year old memories.  I can't pick up golf clubs after 6 months off and play like I did the fall before.  Expecting Teddy to be who he was, after 1 1/2 years off is a bit unrealistic.  And if he's bad for a game or two, then what?  We've hurt the teams position because we have fond memories or because we like 1 guy over another?    

Long story short.  You don't fix, what isn't broken.  You stay with Case until he's injured or until desperate times call for desperate measures.  The team is playing well, putting up points and we have a shut down D.  This isn't the time to experiment.          
It only tolls if he's not activated this year, which it definitely looks like he will be.  Teddy will not be under contract next year unless we sign him.

I just don’t think there’s much risk in starting Bridgewater
if he’s ready.  Our offense, right now is
a very conservative, don’t screw it up offense with a couple nice passes thrown
in there.  Bridgewater has already shown
that he can do that.  I just don’t buy
into the notion that putting Bridgewater in there would screw up the chemistry
of the team or anything like that.

I would like to see Bridgewater get at least 4 starts the
rest of the regular season to clarify our decision making process going into
next season, provided he looks good in practice.  If I thought there was a chance that we’d
fail to make the playoffs by switching or something I’d go with Keenum, but I
think it’s equally likely that we lose some of these upcoming games with Keenum
on the road as it is that we’d lose them with Bridgewater starting.

There are other factors that make this even more introguing. If Sam is healthy, i still say he is our best chance for this season. if you acrivate Tesdy and keep Sam on the active roster, you are almost forced to expose Sloter to waivers. In that scenario, you could argue the Vikings are best served keeping Teddy in PUP, letting his contract toll, and going with Sam/Case/Sloter for the rest of the year. if you dont think Sam is going to be healthy/playong soon, you put Sam on IR so you can roll with Teddy/Case/Kyle and not be forced to waived Sloter or kill your roster by careying 4 QBs. 

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
There are other factors that make this even more introguing. If Sam is healthy, i still say he is our best chance for this season. if you acrivate Tesdy and keep Sam on the active roster, you are almost forced to expose Sloter to waivers. In that scenario, you could argue the Vikings are best served keeping Teddy in PUP, letting his contract toll, and going with Sam/Case/Sloter for the rest of the year. if you dont think Sam is going to be healthy/playong soon, you put Sam on IR so you can roll with Teddy/Case/Kyle and not be forced to waived Sloter or kill your roster by careying 4 QBs. 
IMO if Sam were healthy, he would already be playing.  After watching him vs the Bears, I don't think that is going to happen this year.  I bet Sam goes to IR.

Quote: @"AllBS" said:

Case is not a franchise QB but he's getting the job done and doing it pretty damn well.  Expecting perfection out of him or we'll replace him is a bit harsh, IMO.  If we lose a game, you lose your job?             
You're painting a black and white picture in world full of gray. I'm sure the coaching staff is smart enough to see beyond wins and losses. If Case is playing well, consistently going through his progressions, consistently hitting his open receivers, not turning the ball over, there's a decent chance he will remain the QB. But he probably can't afford to have the kind of 1st half he had against the Browns. 

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
If you send a healthy teddy to the IR and try and toll him you will end up in court and likely lose IMO.  Maybe not on the contract for 1 more year,  but you will surely lose Teddy and potentially other players on you roster and future potential free agents. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:
IMO if Sam were healthy, he would already be playing.  After watching him vs the Bears, I don't think that is going to happen this year.  I bet Sam goes to IR.

I'm fairly certain that has been the plan for awhile now.

Quote: @"Ponifan" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

I'm fairly certain that has been the plan for awhile now.
The only question then is why wait?  If they put him there next Wednesday to activate Teddy he won't be eligible to return until Week 17 correct?  I mean that's all fine and dandy if they are in the playoffs but what if week 17 is for a playoff spot and Teddy didn't respond well in his return?  I really thought once he started the injection routine it would have been wise to put him on IR to return week 14 or 15.  Better late than never but maybe short sighted.  I guess they want to be sure Teddy actually gets back on the field.