Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets have a property discussion?
Quote: @greediron said:
I know the land prices have gone way up, the ND oil boom really affected that as well.  But much of the BLM lease land isn't exactly prime grazing. 

Seems what you are talking about for restrictions is simply what the actual owner is dictating.  Nothing wrong with that IMO.  As the owner, he has the right to dictate the terms.  I was talking more about privately owned ranches, they don't have the restriction on numbers, but good owners understand there are limits on what it can sustain.

And to the private leased land, the owner has a right to think long term as well.  But often greed gets in the way of that.

And to your last point about how we treat the land.  Most often the ones that take the best care of it are the ones that own it.  Public land gets treated like a public bathroom.  And in the case of leased public land, the one left to clean up is the only one paying for using it.
which is why I want to see it cost money to use it.  

no reason that fees cant be charged to use public ground.  (getting into national parks isnt free)  

hikers $5 per day
campers $15 per day
hunters $10 per day
horse back riders $10 per day 
motorized vehicles $40 per day trails only,  $1000 fine for off trail activity.

make them all register in/out at entry points and make it a $500 fine for failing to do so.  or something like this.  and for the love of God,  we need to put some real teeth in littering and game violations.  we recently had an issue at our local lake with some assholes from Sioux Falls.   They caught a shit ton of walleyes and were cleaning them on the water and dumping the guts and carcasses over the side of the boat.  They then got spooked and dumped the fillets on their way back to shore.  when they got stopped all they could be fined for was littering since they werent actually in possession of all the other fish.  I dont think I would have called the GFP until I got down harrassing the living shit out of them.  I know they wouldnt have gotten their boat off the water for quit a while as the lone landing would have been blocked.

@JimmyinSD said:
by the way... any turkeys on your family land out there?  I just took up turkey hunting last spring and am kinda hooked.
Not sure about this year, but typically it is pretty good turkey hunting.  Funny, the turkeys moved in when I was 11 or 12, never had a single one before, but now they have been there since and do pretty well.  They seem to like the edge of the badlands, some grain fields on the one side, protection and habitat on the other.
i assume you are in the ND badlands?  What side?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
I know the land prices have gone way up, the ND oil boom really affected that as well.  But much of the BLM lease land isn't exactly prime grazing. 

Seems what you are talking about for restrictions is simply what the actual owner is dictating.  Nothing wrong with that IMO.  As the owner, he has the right to dictate the terms.  I was talking more about privately owned ranches, they don't have the restriction on numbers, but good owners understand there are limits on what it can sustain.

And to the private leased land, the owner has a right to think long term as well.  But often greed gets in the way of that.

And to your last point about how we treat the land.  Most often the ones that take the best care of it are the ones that own it.  Public land gets treated like a public bathroom.  And in the case of leased public land, the one left to clean up is the only one paying for using it.

no reason that fees cant be charged to use public ground.  (getting into national parks isnt free)  

hikers $5 per day
campers $15 per day
hunters $10 per day

make them all register in/out at entry points and make it a $500 fine for failing to do so.  or something like this.  and for the love of God,  we need to put some real teeth in littering and game violations.  we recently had an issue at our local lake with some assholes from Sioux Falls.   They caught a shit ton of walleyes and were cleaning them on the water and dumping the guts and carcasses over the side of the boat.  They then got spooked and dumped the fillets on their way back to shore.  when they got stopped all they could be fined for was littering since they werent actually in possession of all the other fish.  I dont think I would have called the GFP until I got down harrassing the living shit out of them.  I know they wouldnt have gotten their boat off the water for quit a while as the lone landing would have been blocked.

I would add,

Biking $500 a day.  These guys are assholes and need to be treated as such Smile

@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
by the way... any turkeys on your family land out there?  I just took up turkey hunting last spring and am kinda hooked.
Not sure about this year, but typically it is pretty good turkey hunting.  Funny, the turkeys moved in when I was 11 or 12, never had a single one before, but now they have been there since and do pretty well.  They seem to like the edge of the badlands, some grain fields on the one side, protection and habitat on the other.
West of Highway 85, north of I94.

@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

hikers $5 per day
campers $15 per day
hunters $10 per day

I would add,

Biking $500 a day.  These guys are assholes and need to be treated as such Smile
Easy now... dont paint with such a wide brush.  Wink

@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
West of Highway 85, north of I94.
long ways up there and out there.   do you cook your steak on a pitchfork in a giant kettle of hot oil?

I would add,

Just saw you left them off and had to take a jab.  One guy I work with is an avid biker and constantly bores me with his tales of woe.

@JimmyinSD said:
I would add,

Just saw you left them off and had to take a jab.  One guy I work with is an avid biker and constantly bores me with his tales of woe.
he tells you about his saddle sores and hemorrhoids?  TMI...

long ways up there and out there.   do you cook your steak on a pitchfork in a giant kettle of hot oil?
Haha, no, but I did work in Medora one summer.  That is the county seat, but the ranch is NE of there.  North on H85