Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diggs, Floyd injuries offer prove-it chance for Treadwell
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Treadwell still doesn't get open. He sure wasn't open on that play he made the amazing catch. He had 3 catches for 51 yards last week....and this was by far his best performance. I mean, the media is losing their minds over him it seems but he hasn't done a thing other than make 1 amazing catch. 
Single coverage with inside leverage against a smaller CB...that's open as hell for Treadwell and really any NFL reciever,  that's all the more he needs.  it's on the QB at that point for not throwing him the ball.  They need to learn to trust him that he wont leave their pass exposed and he has to make sure he either catches the ball or makes sure the defender doesnt.
The guy rarely gets open, period. No separation. We can all act like that isn't the case, but it is. Trust him by throwing into coverage? I don't think so. This isn't Dez Bryant. Nobody, outside of those wearing purple glasses, is going to tell me this kid isn't just a guy. At best. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Treadwell still doesn't get open. He sure wasn't open on that play he made the amazing catch. He had 3 catches for 51 yards last week....and this was by far his best performance. I mean, the media is losing their minds over him it seems but he hasn't done a thing other than make 1 amazing catch. 
Single coverage with inside leverage against a smaller CB...that's open as hell for Treadwell and really any NFL reciever,  that's all the more he needs.  it's on the QB at that point for not throwing him the ball.  They need to learn to trust him that he wont leave their pass exposed and he has to make sure he either catches the ball or makes sure the defender doesnt.
The guy rarely gets open, period. No separation. We can all act like that isn't the case, but it is. Trust him by throwing into coverage? I don't think so. This isn't Dez Bryant. Nobody, outside of those wearing purple glasses, is going to tell me this kid isn't just a guy. At best. 
Ok.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.
Dude, what other conclusion can I come to? Where is the production? We can hope.....we can like that unbelievable catch....we know he's working harder. All fine. 8 catches in 6 games. Anything else is homer vision or wishful thinking. Which is fine on a messageboard. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.
Dude, what other conclusion can I come to? Where is the production? We can hope.....we can like that unbelievable catch....we know he's working harder. All fine. 8 catches in 6 games. Anything else is homer vision or wishful thinking. Which is fine on a messageboard. 
And Diggs wasn't very good until all of a sudden he was on the field as a rookie. 

Treadwell can't throw the ball to himself.  Treadwell can make the tough catch,  but not if he isn't thrown the ball.  You can be a hater if you want to and pretend that stats paint a complete picture,  but it's been discussed quite a bit on perhaps  why Treadwells numbers arren't higher than they are this year.  With Thielen and Diggs starting the year as big as they have they are the primary target,  Treadwell has been 3rd or fourth look and neither Sam not Case have really held the ball long enough to go through more than a couple reads before firing,  or in Keenum's case he tends to lock onto a reciever at times and wait for them to come open.

Im not saying Treadwell is a monster,  but he is certainly a better target than you are giving him credit for.  Throw him open and let him use that huge catch radius and big body and he can be almost uncoverable in many cases,  bit it's on the QB until it isnt.  He's making the catch when given the opportunity.

@JimmyinSD said:
Quote:
@StickyBun said:
You guys are both right - Treadwell doesn't get separation, but he could be the kind of WR who makes catches despite that.

But remember the post yesterday about the Vikings' 2017 offense leading the NFL in fewest interceptions. There is some luck in that and some good QB play, but a big part is the type of plays called. IMO Zimmer is extremely turnover-averse, more than many coaches. Theilen and Diggs get separation and so passes to them can be much lower in risk. Otherwise the plan is to check down to Rudolph or a RB. Yeah, Rudolph is often in a crowd but he's 6'6" with even longer arms that Treadwell.

Another coaching staff might accept the risk of throwing into a crowd, but not this one. Even with Floyd and Diggs out Sunday, I think we're going to see plays for Wright and maybe even Coley - guys who separate. 

I'm thinking the Vikes need to watch him play more in games before deciding to kick him to the curb.  He's the #3 WR receiver on the team in catches behind Thielan and Diggs.  Is anyone really surprised by this?

I wish he was good enough to be our #1, but that's not the case.  He was pretty good last game, so it will be interesting to see how he does with this opportunity.

@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.
That's unfair. I don't hear anyone saying that Treadwell is headed for the pro bowl, or even the starting lineup, so maybe we can dispense with the homer-vision dismissals. The bottom line is that he was targeted 3 times and caught 3 balls. There is some sign of life in a kid who showed nothing in his rookie season...and that's a good thing...something to build on. Do I think he'll ever be a #1 receiver? No, I don't. I never have. I called him the most overrated player in the 2016 draft, that his ceiling was as a post-up possession receiver. He showed some things Sunday that might suggest he can eventually be that.

With all due respect, Sticky, It makes me wonder if you're the one with the unrealistic expectations. Because if you're one of the many who thought he was going to be a vertical threat in the mold of Michael Irvin or AJ Green, I would imagine the reality of what he REALLY is might be greatly disappointing. But if you're expectation is that he could round into another Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe, then I would say Sunday was a positive step. 

One might argue that you don't take a receiver like that in the 1st round. As a matter of fact, one did. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.
That's unfair. I don't hear anyone saying that Treadwell is headed for the pro bowl, or even the starting lineup, so maybe we can dispense with the homer-vision dismissals. The bottom line is that he was targeted 3 times and caught 3 balls. There is some sign of life in a kid who showed nothing in his rookie season...and that's a good thing...something to build on. Do I think he'll ever be a #1 receiver? No, I don't. I never have. I called him the most overrated player in the 2016 draft, that his ceiling was as a post-up possession receiver. He showed some things Sunday that might suggest he can eventually be that.

With all due respect, Sticky, It makes me wonder if you're the one with the unrealistic expectations. Because if you're one of the many who thought he was going to be a vertical threat in the mold of Michael Irvin or AJ Green, I would imagine the reality of what he REALLY is might be greatly disappointing. But if you're expectation is that he could round into another Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe, then I would say Sunday was a positive step. 

One might argue that you don't take a receiver like that in the 1st round. As a matter of fact, one did. 
In two years, he has 9 catches thus far. He'll never be anything like a Boldin or Bowe, lol. C'mon now. With all due respect, your post is very homer. Boldin had 157 catches, 8 TDs in two years, one season in which he only played in 10 games because of injury. Bowe had 112 catches and 12 TDs in his first 2 years. 

So who's unrealistic?

@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.

In two years, he has 9 catches thus far. He'll never be anything like a Boldin or Bowe, lol. C'mon now. With all due respect, your post is very homer. Boldin had 157 catches, 8 TDs in two years, one season in which he only played in 10 games because of injury. Bowe had 112 catches and 12 TDs in his first 2 years. 

So who's unrealistic?
Both came in as starters. Treadwell was behind Diggs and Thielen. And he still is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ok.

So who's unrealistic?
Both came in as starters. Treadwell was behind Diggs and Thielen. And he still is. 
Exactly. So a WR drafted in the 1st round is a WR3? That's nuts. We have a WR drafted in the 5th round that's a #1. It was a wasted pick, straight up.