Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zulgad: Sam or Teddy?
Before the season, the job was firmly Bradford’s to lose.  Now I think it’s whichever QB gets more solid playing time, because they both have question marks with their knees.

I think we’re all definitely less confident with Bradford
than we were previously and I’m kind of leaning towards “If they’re both injury
risks, go with the younger cheaper Bridgewater (assuming tolled contract), and
draft a QB in the first or second to pair with him and assume it’s going to be
a Brees/Rivers situation”

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
I hate to piss everyone off...Just my opinion.

It takes a lot to be in "football shape", activating Teddy after week 6 doesn't mean he's necessarily ready to play
It just means that the timing co-insides with Sams knee issues. Of course everyone wants to play, just ask them, but the prudent thing may be to wait with Teddy, sign him for the long term, because I think Bradford may be done.

I think Sam's career is in jeopardy, and I'm fearful that in our effort to bring Teddy back before he is truly ready,
he opens himself up for injury / re-injury.  I'm not Sugarman, so I don't know Teddy's real status, but his injury timeline was
roughly 17 -20 months when it occurred. Which would be the end of this season roughly.

Keenum has shown some Moxy...he CAN be a good QB, but also like Sloter and would be interesting to see him get
some "live-fire" training before the season is over (especially if we are out of playoff contention)

OK....fire away at me 
Unfortunately, I think both Teddy's and Sam's careers are in jeopardy.  At least to the point that I don't know that the Vikings can trust either one enough to pay $20+ million for the next 5 years or more.

I really have no idea what to do, but hopefully the answers will become more clear as this season progresses.

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:

It takes a lot to be in "football shape", activating Teddy after week 6 doesn't mean he's necessarily ready to play
It just means that the timing co-insides with Sams knee issues. Of course everyone wants to play, just ask them, but the prudent thing may be to wait with Teddy, sign him for the long term, because I think Bradford may be done.

I think Sam's career is in jeopardy, and I'm fearful that in our effort to bring Teddy back before he is truly ready,
he opens himself up for injury / re-injury.  I'm not Sugarman, so I don't know Teddy's real status, but his injury timeline was
roughly 17 -20 months when it occurred. Which would be the end of this season roughly.

Keenum has shown some Moxy...he CAN be a good QB, but also like Sloter and would be interesting to see him get
some "live-fire" training before the season is over (especially if we are out of playoff contention)

OK....fire away at me 
Not going to fire away because in many ways you are right.  Sam's future seems to be dwindling by the moment. Guess it was the last of the questions he had to answer after the saints game.  Health.  Sucks for him and for us, but too much risk there.

As to Teddy, if he isn't really ready, I hope we don't rush him back and lose him for good.  I won't pretend to be a coach/gm/trainer, and would love to see him return.  But I would rather him return at full health, if that is next year, then so be it.  With the Sam option waning, I want a solid QB long term, not some short lived shot in the arm of hope.

As to drafting a QB, I think 2-4th round needs to be a QB.  And keep trying until we get it right.  Spielman's one flaw IMO is his reluctance to subject his QB to competition.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:

OK....fire away at me 
Not going to fire away because in many ways you are right.  Sam's future seems to be dwindling by the moment. Guess it was the last of the questions he had to answer after the saints game.  Health.  Sucks for him and for us, but too much risk there.

As to Teddy, if he isn't really ready, I hope we don't rush him back and lose him for good.  I won't pretend to be a coach/gm/trainer, and would love to see him return.  But I would rather him return at full health, if that is next year, then so be it.  With the Sam option waning, I want a solid QB long term, not some short lived shot in the arm of hope.

As to drafting a QB, I think 2-4th round needs to be a QB.  And keep trying until we get it right.  Spielman's one flaw IMO is his reluctance to subject his QB to competition.
Teddy won't be allowed back if he isn't medically cleared,  he won't be cleared unless there is minimal risk of reinjury.  I don't think we were ever given a legit timeline from a medical professional so I am in wait and see mode,  but if he is cleared I fully expect the team to get him on the field as soon  as he is up to speed and gets some decent reps in practice.

I want to know by seasons end if we are looking high first round for a QB or if we can take a wait and see who falls approach.  To big of a draft class to not get one if we really need one.

Whatever happens with Sam and Teddy, we are going to be drafting a qb next year. It just seems like the most sensible thing to do because there are so many unknowns right now.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
Whatever happens with Sam and Teddy, we are going to be drafting a qb next year. It just seems like the most sensible thing to do because there are so many unknowns right now.
Not sure I agree.  At least not drafting one high.  If both Sam and Teddy wash out, Keenum has shown some capability and Sloter is very intriguing.  So many 1st round QBs bust, why do we need to reach for one, when the Keenum is reaching his prime, and Sloter is a big prospect.

I think, now with Sam's knee, Teddy gets every shot to be the guy.  Hope he is, but we are not bare in the cupboard anymore at this position.

Quote: @"Tom Moore" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
Not sure I agree.  At least not drafting one high.  If both Sam and Teddy wash out, Keenum has shown some capability and Sloter is very intriguing.  So many 1st round QBs bust, why do we need to reach for one, when the Keenum is reaching his prime, and Sloter is a big prospect.

I think, now with Sam's knee, Teddy gets every shot to be the guy.  Hope he is, but we are not bare in the cupboard anymore at this position.
We'll have to see what plays out the next 12 weeks...Hell, we could be in need of a starter if Teddy and Sam both wash out. 

As of now, there is nobody I'd pay out a $50-$100 mm contract to. 

I'm really curious about Sloter too btw. Just not THIS SEASON Smile

Wow...  This was a very well reasoned and civil discussion!!!  I was leery of even opening it given the title, but what a nice surprise.

We need more of this.  I'd start posting more again if this is how topics are going to be discussed around here.

Love it!

BOOM

Just let it ride... play the hot hand. 

Keenum won the game against Chicago on the road, let him start against Green Bay. Hopefully Bradford dresses and can go if they want him to.

After the GB game, Teddy comes back; we keep evaluating Bradfords knee and we judge how Keenum played in contrast. No need to yank Keenum if he played well again. If not, we look to Bradford to show signs that he can play at a high level. ... basically, "practice all week."

I cant imagine Bridgewater stepping off the PUP like Favre getting off of a private jet; he's going to come in with a lot of focus on going through the motions right away (how he "responds" to real practice), and it'll snowball from there. If Keenum puts up stinkers and/or if Bradford remains limited and reduced to playing like he did against Chicago, that's when Teddy should/will be sized up for the oppertunity. 

We are 3-2 right now and i'm not committed to much other than winning. We've been clawing our way through this QB thing - its a night and day difference from last season. Our offensive line is holding up ok, our running game is alive... I dont see any reason to just throw a guy in who is "better" at this point. Roll with what works, change what doesn't. 

... who wouldnt want to see the ol Bradford we saw against NO? ... we cant keep playing and yanking him until he figures it out, can we? ... is the knee going to suddenly get well enough to avoid the type of untypical mistakes he made against CHI? How is his next start going to transpire? ... can he practice all week this week?

The funny thing about the 3 QBs; these guys have won games with all of them. There doesn't need to be controversy in the locker room because these guys know they can compete with whoever is playing the position.

Can I see what's behind door number 3?

Teddy has a great preseason in 2016, BAM...blows up his knee...Bradford comes out game 1 in 2017 and looks like the #1 QB he was meant to be, BAM...goes out with a knee...at this point neither one appears to be a long termr answer...

Honestly at this point I'd move on from both and take a serious look at the two QBs most likely to hit the market next year: Cousins and Brees...we simply cannot sit back and let that D put another year's mileage on that tread without a serious QB behind center...

Would certainly love to hear Sloter is tearing shit up running the scout team...So far, crickets...