Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
It was the Jets....not Sam Darnold?
Jim Plunkett won 2 Super Bowls after NE gave up on him.
Steve Young didn’t do very well in TB but, did very well in SF.

The biggest reason I'm glad NE rejected whatever our offer was for #3 is that the guy Maye most reminds me of coming out is Darnold. Built-in-lab body, cannon arm, bad decisions and turnovers. Maybe Maye gets fixed in NE, but at this point Darnold is what he is. He'll be better than with the Jets because of our receivers but even a Tampa Baker year would be pushing credibility.

(05-09-2024, 01:07 AM)RS_Express Wrote: The biggest reason I'm glad NE rejected whatever our offer was for #3 is that the guy Maye most reminds me of coming out is Darnold.  Built-in-lab body, cannon arm, bad decisions and turnovers.  Maybe Maye gets fixed in NE, but at this point Darnold is what he is. He'll be better than with the Jets because of our receivers but even a Tampa Baker year would be pushing credibility.

IF history is a guide, 2 of the 6 first rd qb's will outright fail. 

Maye has alot to work with - but its a bad situation in NE. He wont get a chance to curate long.

(05-08-2024, 07:03 PM)Godhead Wrote: Jim Plunkett won 2 Super Bowls after NE gave up on him.
Steve Young didn’t do very well in TB but, did very well in SF.

Rich Gannon did almost nothing with three teams and 12 years. During those years he was mostly a backup. He goes to Oakland where Gruden's WCO fits him like a glove and he goes to 4 straight Pro Bowls. Actually won an MVP.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(05-09-2024, 01:07 AM)RS_Express Wrote: The biggest reason I'm glad NE rejected whatever our offer was for #3 is that the guy Maye most reminds me of coming out is Darnold.  Built-in-lab body, cannon arm, bad decisions and turnovers.  Maybe Maye gets fixed in NE, but at this point Darnold is what he is. He'll be better than with the Jets because of our receivers but even a Tampa Baker year would be pushing credibility.

Both Maye and McCarthy have some bust factor, but for completely different reasons. So many seemed focused on McCarthy's lack of passing production on a running team, but it sounds like many teams (including the Vikings) seemed willing to overlook--or thought they could fix--Maye's footwork and accuracy issues, problems McCarthy doesn't really have.  

I have a feeling Maye is going to look like a bad pick for a while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

Sam Darnold has poor accuracy. In fact, he’s among the worst in the NFL. I remember a stat from several years ago where Darnold was way below the other NFL QB’s in accuracy on passes over 5 yards.

Rarely is it possible to fix that level of poor accuracy. It’s not like he was particularly accurate in college either. He only completed 63% and it was that high due to short passes.

It’s very rare for a QB to make a big jump in this department. Josh Allen is the only one that jumps out to me and he has been up and down in this regard.

I don’t have high expectations. I foresee the definite possibility that JJM wins a QB competition. I’m not convinced he’s our starter.

Having watched that footage and some others on Darnold, it's hard for me to tell where his issues are "his" vs. team/system problems...so I'm lightly optimistic that the very positive words from the 49ers staff regarding him have the most current, accurate take. Let's see how he does with us.

JJM looks like he's got all the raw talent, but having 1+ seasons to get finesse on his passing would be a big benefit for him.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

The situation a QB goes into can easily make or break their career. Darnold was dealt a tough hand with the Jets and the Panthers weren't any better. He looked improved with the Niners, but that's a small sample size. At least this year, we should have a better rushing attack with Jones and Chandler to protect the QB and provided the injury bug doesn't run rampant again, then the only real question for his supporting cast is depth at WR. I do wonder if Darnold would have faired better if he went to another team or if the turnovers and other issues are just him?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyr's post:

(05-09-2024, 11:06 AM)Havoc Wrote: Sam Darnold has poor accuracy. In fact, he’s among the worst in the NFL. I remember a stat from several years ago where Darnold was way below the other NFL QB’s in accuracy on passes over 5 yards.

Rarely is it possible to fix that level of poor accuracy. It’s not like he was particularly accurate in college either. He only completed 63% and it was that high due to short passes.

It’s very rare for a QB to make a big jump in this department. Josh Allen is the only one that jumps out to me and he has been up and down in this regard.

I don’t have high expectations. I foresee the definite possibility that JJM wins a QB competition. I’m not convinced he’s our starter.

Is it accuracy or the fact that he's always been a bit of a gunslinger who makes poor decisions? I think it might be more of the latter. So having two very good receivers should help him quite a bit, not to mention the top 10-ish pass-pro line, the TE and what could be a much improved running game. 

I think that's the key. If the Vikings can fix the running game to keep us out of so many 3rd and long situations, Darnold might just look pretty good in this offense.