Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJM: 'It would be the world to play for Minnesota'
Teams generally know what other teams are going to do or who they want. We forget that as fans:

from r/minnesotavikings

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1783670...gr%5Etweet

https://twitter.com/CSayf23/status/17837...gr%5Etweet

Harbaugh: 'That's where he wanted to go (Minnesota)....that's where his heart was set'.

(04-23-2024, 02:10 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: Someone get that kid a sandwich.

(Sorry, I've coached OL/DL my whole life)

He weighed in at 219 lbs at the Combine, knows he needed 10 lbs of muscle and got it. He'll fill out because he's lean but doesn't necessarily have a lean frame. Strong kid.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/statu...3634764030

I think the Penix pick spooked the Vikings to move up to 10, but I've heard some say the Vikings were mad because they wanted Penix. I don't believe that at all. I think they would've taken Penix at 11 only if McCarthy were already off the board. 

I like Penix, but a lefty diminishes the value of Darrisaw and changes all the route trees...not to mention his age and injury history. No way they take him over JJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(04-26-2024, 06:53 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think the Penix pick spooked the Vikings to move up to 10, but I've heard some say the Vikings were mad because they wanted Penix. I don't believe that at all. I think they would've taken Penix at 11 only if McCarthy were already off the board. 

I like Penix, but a lefty diminishes the value of Darrisaw and changes all the route trees...not to mention his age and injury history. No way they take him over JJ.

Agreed. I think they viewed Penix as an option ONLY if JJM was gone or unreachable.

I hope he is more than a game manager.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kmillard's post:

(04-26-2024, 07:16 AM)kmillard Wrote: I hope he is more than a game manager.

That's where I'm at as well,  it's all hrs ever been asked to do so it's hard to knock him for nothing having more on his resume,  hopefully he has it in is game.

One stat I heard yesterday on JJM was their 3rd and long conversion numbers were stellar,  that to me suggests a number of positive factors that can typically be attributed back to the QB.
[-] The following 3 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

(04-26-2024, 07:16 AM)kmillard Wrote: I hope he is more than a game manager.

What's a game manager? I think there are some who assume that since he played in a run-first offense he doesn't have the traits to function in a passing offense. He has the strongest arm in the draft (after Milton) and he runs a 4.48. 

McCarthy doesn't have Kirk's deep accuracy IMO (few do), but like Kirk, his game is perfectly suited for our offense. 

If the Vikings are wise, they'll let him sit and develop for a year before giving him the keys.

(04-26-2024, 07:28 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: That's where I'm at as well,  it's all hrs ever been asked to do so it's hard to knock him for nothing having more on his resume,  hopefully he has it in is game.

One stat I heard yesterday on JJM was their 3rd and long conversion numbers were stellar,  that to me suggests a number of positive factors that can typically be attributed back to the QB.

That was some of his positive traits albeit a small sample size. I hate when they compare prospects to actual NFL players as they are never the same but the name Alex Smith kept coming up and that would be the most Viking like Qb as they seem to love the game managers.Hope it works out as we have spent our draft capital for 25 (except a first) and that there is actually someone worth signing in free agency  (younger, upside guys etc.)

(04-26-2024, 07:42 AM)kmillard Wrote: That was some of his positive traits albeit a small sample size. I hate when they compare prospects to actual NFL players as they are never the same but the name Alex Smith kept coming up and that would be the most Viking like Qb as they seem to love the game managers.Hope it works out as we have spent our draft capital for 25 (except a first) and that there is actually someone worth signing in free agency  (younger, upside guys etc.)

Yeah, I hate the comparisons as well. The media loves their buckets to put players in. 

Just like any QB, who knows for sure how JJM will turn out. But he did operate in a pro style offense, worked under center and called plays in the huddle. That's a step up from 70% of the QBs in college football. He's played in the biggest games a player can play in....and won. He doesn't squint when the bright lights are on. And he's a very good athlete. Good starting points at least.
[-] The following 4 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(04-26-2024, 07:46 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Yeah, I hate the comparisons as well. The media loves their buckets to put players in. 

Just like any QB, who knows for sure how JJM will turn out. But he did operate in a pro style offense, worked under center and called plays in the huddle. That's a step up from 70% of the QBs in college football. He's played in the biggest games a player can play in....and won. He doesn't squint when the bright lights are on. And he's a very good athlete. Good starting points at least.

For sure. I just wonder when the chants will start at US bank once Sam Darnold goes 3 and out for the first time.)) Hopefully he gets a year to marinate but I doubt it.
[-] The following 2 users Like kmillard's post: