Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vikings targeted this QB class
Facts- we wanted a QB last year and it didn't work out. So we NEED a QB this year. That's a situation we were trying to avoid but it's come to that. If the prevailing wisdom is to sit your rookie as long as possible, can the Vikings afford to take Penix at 11 and sit him for full year? That'd be (most likely) 2 years in a row of top 15 picks for a franchise not used to being in the top 11 and lower range. So now you're two years removed from Kirk, your best player is pissed he just wasted another year of his career, and how many guys do we even have signed past 2024? Not a ton. Yes, the QB has to be drafted this year and they have to get it right or KAM and possible KO too will be gone. Fair? Not sure. But that's life in the NFL.

Get your guy, pay what it takes, and pray. That's the bed they made and we all have to hope it works out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

Gotta find a dance partner. Not a lot of teams are willing to move out of the top five
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vanguard83's post:

In this space, let's go a little deeper into the three most important things Adofo-Mensah said Thursday.

1. "There are multiple guys that we are in love with. But there's also other guys that we are in love with … if we get them at a certain value."

Translation: Adofo-Mensah either truly believes or is trying to create the impression that the Vikings could be happy with any number of quarterbacks in the draft.

There is a sliding scale, essentially, when it comes to what the Vikings are willing to give up for quarterbacks the Vikings flat-out love, but the relative value of someone lower on their board (but still in that "love" category) has to be considered if it helps them build a more complete roster.

2. "It's always about walkaway prices. And walkaway prices, to me, are meaningful because it's another action. Your only leverage in the negotiation is your willingness to do something else."

Translation: The signal he is trying to send to potential trade partners is easy. Don't gouge us. We have options. Perhaps that's in response to reports that moving up to No. 3 for Drake Maye might cost MORE than three first-round picks or that a deal for J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 or 5 could require three first-round picks.

The Vikings are willing to pay a premium to move up for a quarterback, but they have a point at which they will just say no.

3. "The hardest part is if you get the guy right, and he's your answer for 10 years, there's no price you probably wouldn't have paid looking back."

Translation: While the Vikings will balance risk vs. reward, at the end of the day, the amount of draft capital needed to get a player is less important than identifying the right player. It sounds to me like the Vikings' "walkaway price" might be pretty generous if they think they have found that quarterback.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-nfl-...600358379/
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(04-13-2024, 10:46 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: There is a sliding scale, essentially, when it comes to what the Vikings are willing to give up for quarterbacks the Vikings flat-out love, but the relative value of someone lower on their board (but still in that "love" category) has to be considered if it helps them build a more complete roster.

This is the point I've made when someone says the Cardinals won't pass on MHJ. No, they likely won't. But the calculation is not simply MHJ or nothing. It's MHJ vs, say, Rome Udunze and pick 23. If I'm the Cards and those are my options, I take door number two.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(04-12-2024, 10:16 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: • "If the guy's got less ability, but we have assets to go get [help], those things add up, too."

Reckless Speculation: No freaking clue what this means. 

I think I know what this means now, considering the Latham visit. The Vikings see Penix and Nix as the QBs with "less ability." They can take one at 11 and get him help by putting a monster like Latham in front of him. 

Is Penix (or Nix) + Latham = McCarthy? Kind of an odd way to approach it. But that's probably how eggheads think, especially those with economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford.

(04-14-2024, 09:44 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think I know what this means now, considering the Latham visit. The Vikings see Penix and Nix as the QBs with "less ability." They can take one at 11 and get him help by putting a monster like Latham in front of him. 

Is Penix (or Nix) + Latham = McCarthy? Kind of an odd way to approach it. But that's probably how eggheads think, especially those with economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford.

Agreed, whether the other asset is an OL, stud RB or 3 deep @ WR...

In another vein, it's a little disheartening. I really want a game changer @ QB, not a game manager. This team is not at the level of the 49'ers, I think we need more than what a Brock Purdy brings to the table at the QB position.

I don’t think this is a revelation they specifically targeted this year. They tried to get a guy last year. I expect Kwesi is always looking several years out. I expect he’s already on next years class and the one after.

(04-14-2024, 01:09 PM)Havoc Wrote: I don’t think this is a revelation they specifically targeted this year. They tried to get a guy last year. I expect Kwesi is always looking several years out. I expect he’s already on next years class and the one after.

No, I dont think its revealing either. 

But I do think its confirming that it was a main driver in their decision making re: Cousins.