Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers new Mock
Quote: @pattersaur said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
Its just hard to say with all the smoke where the quarterbacks end up. Look at Will levis and Hendon Hooker last year. A lot of pundits had them as slam dunk top 15 picks only to go much, much later. I just don't know that the Vikings could afford to sit and wait on Maye or McCarthy with Denver and Oakland picking directly behind us. 

Let me offer up a scenario and everybody can put their GM caps on;

Would you trade Justin Jefferson to Arizona for their two firsts this year (4th and 27th) along with a conditional mid round pick in 2025? By doing so you assure the franchise of grabbing one of the elite QB prospects in this draft, along with being able to fill a lot of roster holes in need of talent. For example, we parlay those picks into;

4. JJ McCarthy, QB Michigan
11. Byron Murphy, DT Texas
23. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C Oregon
27. AD Mitchell, WR Texas 

Would it be worth trading Jefferson (and his very strange contract situation) for this kind of haul? Or maybe we move one of those later 1st round picks to Cincy for Tee Higgins? I don't know, the more I look at this...the more I think trading Jefferson is probably the right move to make 
As Maroon mentioned, Denver and the Giants just don't have much if anything to move into the top 10. If we want to entertain the thought of trading JJ I think we could also do something like:

4. MH Jr., WR Ohio State
11. JJ McCarthy, QB Michigan
23. Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon
27. T'vondre Sweat, DT Texas

So you're trading JJ for MHJr and Sweat and some future mid-round pick? Heck no.
If we can get JJM and a new Center with our own picks there's zero reason to trade JJ in your mock.
If the team knows he's gone the first chance he gets then that's a different story. But with the info I have today, no shot I trade Justin for unproven rookies, especially ones who aren't QBs.
Yes I think you'd use that 4th pick on whomever drops with Maye being the primary and McCarthy being the plan B. But you almost have to take them there. Too much risk holding tight until pick 11 and hoping they are still on the board, especially when we are desperate to lamd one of them. I firmly believe the preference for us is Maye or McCarthy. Assure yourself the quarterback you want at 4, then the rest of those picks are filling huge roster holes 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Its just hard to say with all the smoke where the quarterbacks end up. Look at Will levis and Hendon Hooker last year. A lot of pundits had them as slam dunk top 15 picks only to go much, much later. I just don't know that the Vikings could afford to sit and wait on Maye or McCarthy with Denver and Oakland picking directly behind us. 

Would you trade Justin Jefferson to Arizona for their two firsts this year (4th and 27th) along with a conditional mid round pick in 2025? By doing so you assure the franchise of grabbing one of the elite QB prospects in this draft, along with being able to fill a lot of roster holes in need of talent. For example, we parlay those picks into;

Would it be worth trading Jefferson (and his very strange contract situation) for this kind of haul? Or maybe we move one of those later 1st round picks to Cincy for Tee Higgins? I don't know, the more I look at this...the more I think trading Jefferson is probably the right move to make 
The only way you even consider trading Jefferson is if you've hit the point of no return with contract negotiations and the relationship has soured (which I don't think it has at all).

Otherwise, you keep an incredible talent, leader, and offensive centerpiece to make it easier on your rookie QB to transition to the NFL.  I like Addison, but he's not on the same level as Jefferson and likely never will be. I'd rather keep JJ, pay him his money, and trade our first next year if we have to in order to get our guy.

The beauty in that is we get a good long look at that rookie in 2024 and 2025.  If he stinks in his first (or second) year as a starter in 2025...  We will have a top pick to try again in the 2026 draft.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:

The only way you even consider trading Jefferson is if you've hit the point of no return with contract negotiations and the relationship has soured (which I don't think it has at all).

Otherwise, you keep an incredible talent, leader, and offensive centerpiece to make it easier on your rookie QB to transition to the NFL.  I like Addison, but he's not on the same level as Jefferson and likely never will be. I'd rather keep JJ, pay him his money, and trade our first next year if we have to in order to get our guy.

The beauty in that is we get a good long look at that rookie in 2024 and 2025.  If he stinks in his first (or second) year as a starter in 2025...  We will have a top pick to try again in the 2026 draft.
I think you have to consider it along with all other options when you don't have a quarterback. Quarterbacks win Super Bowls, not receivers. Just look at the Chiefs this year who made due with a rookie and Kadarius Tony dropping balls every game. I'm a huge Jefferson fan, but if trading him guarantees us drafting a top 4 quarterback plus additional draft capital that would give us huge option flexibility....sign me up. To me, that's a better option than blowing our collective draft load on moving up to #2 or #3, essentially being a one player draft, and stripping our drafts the next couple years down to basically nothing. I want options, draft picks, and a guarantee on the quarterback we want and need 

@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:

As Maroon mentioned, Denver and the Giants just don't have much if anything to move into the top 10. If we want to entertain the thought of trading JJ I think we could also do something like:

4. MH Jr., WR Ohio State
11. JJ McCarthy, QB Michigan
23. Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon
27. T'vondre Sweat, DT Texas

Giants are already picking in the top 10 and could possibly take a QB. But if it worked out how you presented, I'd be pretty happy with that. We need a quarterback and an influx of talent, so if trading Jefferson is the best way to make that happen, so be it 
Sorry, I meant Vegas...

@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:

I think you have to consider it along with all other options when you don't have a quarterback. Quarterbacks win Super Bowls, not receivers. Just look at the Chiefs this year who made due with a rookie and Kadarius Tony dropping balls every game. I'm a huge Jefferson fan, but if trading him guarantees us drafting a top 4 quarterback plus additional draft capital that would give us huge option flexibility....sign me up. To me, that's a better option than blowing our collective draft load on moving up to #2 or #3, essentially being a one player draft, and stripping our drafts the next couple years down to basically nothing. I want options, draft picks, and a guarantee on the quarterback we want and need 
Right, but Mahomes was making that adjustment as an elite veteran QB.  Their situation was much different when he was young...  He had Tyreek, Kelce, Kareem Hunt, and Sammy Watkins.

If we follow the Chiefs model, we're already there minus the RB with JJ, Hock, and Addison.  I'd rather have all those pieces now with a rookie QB and then consider moving off one of those receivers once we have to pay the rookie QB when he's a stud.

@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:

Don't discount the Face of the Franchise angle. Looking around our current roster, how many casual NFL fans can even name a Vikings player outside JJ? Harrison Smith maybe?
He is incredibly valuable to the team on and off the field. I actually believe Kwesi when he says they have no plans to trade JJ. Wilfs might have signed off on moving on from Kirk, and Hunter to a degree, but losing them two and Justin is a lot for fans to swallow in a 6 week span.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:

Right, but Mahomes was making that adjustment as an elite veteran QB.  Their situation was much different when he was young...  He had Tyreek, Kelce, Kareem Hunt, and Sammy Watkins.

If we follow the Chiefs model, we're already there minus the RB with JJ, Hock, and Addison.  I'd rather have all those pieces now with a rookie QB and then consider moving off one of those receivers once we have to pay the rookie QB when he's a stud.
Imo,  it really just all depends in what JJs camp is saying behind the scenes.  Everyone wants to be a Viking for life,  the Vikings want every one of their players to retire a Viking,  but we all know what they say to the camera or Twitter machine don't mean spit.

If they move him,  then I will assume it wasn't going to happen for us anyway,  if they keep him then I will assume it's because both parties want him here and it's best for the franchise.

I will say if they do move him,  and dont upgrade that IOL for a rookie QB,  I will likely lose my shit. 

“breaking the bank” doesnt thrill me - they already may be at the point of no return with JJ declining $30 m a year offer. Vikings are in the drivers seat with him now, but paying out a salary like he expects, cripples the fiscal ability of the team to sign other players...Players that get more than ten touches a game.

he is special, but hes ONE player, and we have a chance at what $100m in cap space next year?    it would be nice if it ALL didnt go to JJ.  So, yeah, give me a couple first rounders and a mauler on O-line /D-line....

Have a feeling the better Addison plays, the easier to move on from JJ

yeah, I know, fire away at me

Addison doesnt have anywhere near the ceiling JJ does, great #2 and I love the pick @ 23. 

You guys who dont want to pay superstar players are nutz

You win with BIG KNOCKERS as Burnsie used to preach. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
Chicago only has 4 picks in this draft. It's just so logical that they would trade back from #9 to accumulate more picks & deny us a QB.
Yup, I could very well see this happening and a way for Denver or Vegas to get their QB and screw MN too. 

The Vikings can avoid all of this by moving to 4 or 5 - and that keeps the Giants at 6 at bay too. 

These mocks of JJM dropping to 11 are just way off the mark imo. Time will tell, but those first 10 picks going off the board will be hold your breath time as a Viking fan.