Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Smoking
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I'm not a smoker, but I did just figure out how to make the perfect smash burger. I'd been using my grill the whole time. Could never get the patties thin enough. The secret is a skillet on the stove. Big difference. 
I also have a Blackstone griddle.  What's your secret for the perfect patty?  Do you use butter?

If I was looking to step up from my ceramic kamado smoker, I'd take a hard look at gravity fed type charcoal smokers. They give you the cooking service of an offset smoker, but without all of the fuss of an offset. The problem is, not only are they expensive, but I've never seen one in action. You'd have to buy one blindly taking the manufacturer's word that they are superior smokers, but I'm really intrigued by the concept.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'm not a smoker, but I did just figure out how to make the perfect smash burger. I'd been using my grill the whole time. Could never get the patties thin enough. The secret is a skillet on the stove. Big difference. 
I also have a Blackstone griddle.  What's your secret for the perfect patty?  Do you use butter?
I need to get a Blackstone because I'd prefer doing this outside. It gets messy in the kitchen. No butter. Just high fat content ground beef, a hot, hot cast iron skillet and a burger press is what worked for me. Another key is toasting the buns. 

As far as the patties go, I just pretty much followed what this guy did. But I didn't bother with the butcher beef. Just 73/27 from the store. Best burgers I've ever made!

https://youtu.be/zZficoQsjCY?si=yWDW8l2Og4LxX6Sq

Quote: @NorseFeathers said:
If I was looking to step up from my ceramic kamado smoker, I'd take a hard look at gravity fed type charcoal smokers. They give you the cooking service of an offset smoker, but without all of the fuss of an offset. The problem is, not only are they expensive, but I've never seen one in action. You'd have to buy one blindly taking the manufacturer's word that they are superior smokers, but I'm really intrigued by the concept.
Masterbuilt makes affordable (compared to offset) gravity charcoal smokers but I'm not sure on the reliabilty longterm with those. I mean if a master built them they can't be terrible, right?
And yes to smashburgers! Super good. I put the cast iron on the grill and do them on there. My Green Mountain only gets up to 550 so that might not be quite as hot as an oven burner, I'm not sure, but like Maroon said-- doing it outside is a lot less mess/doesn't stink out the house (Sadly the only ventilation we have is from the microwave above the stove. Hope to have a big range hood someday but don't currently).
I'll have to look into Grilla. Thanks for the rec, HV. Bummer about the Daniel Boone crapping out. Hopefully it lasted a long time for you at least.

Anything running on charcoal,  drums, eggs or other ceramics,whatever,  look into this setup,  basically what PF was talking about,  just a little more here.

https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
Signals is app controlled via wifi and will operate a remote combustion fan, the Billows product that PF mentioned.  It has 4 probes,  1 for the fan and smoke chamber,  and 3 for meat or whatever.   They have adapters to fit various cooker setups.  I also use their thermopens,  I have probably bought close to 10 of them so I have them everywhere and give as gifts.  Get the new thermopoen one,  it's got a backlit display and wakes up with movement , as well as a rotating display.

I still use my UDS , drum smokers, as they always seem to make pretty damn good meat,  but they got even better and easier with the electrics listed above  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
I need to get a Blackstone because I'd prefer doing this outside. It gets messy in the kitchen. No butter. Just high fat content ground beef, a hot, hot cast iron skillet and a burger press is what worked for me. Another key is toasting the buns. 

As far as the patties go, I just pretty much followed what this guy did. But I didn't bother with the butcher beef. Just 73/27 from the store. Best burgers I've ever made!

Yeah, these are perfect for the Blackstone.  It's nice because you can cook up bacon on it too for your bergers. 
Good
vid, thanks.  I sometimes don't get them hot enough, or I flip too
soon.  This will help with the crust for nextime.  I've seen where you can add a bit of
butter underneath the berger balls then smash.  It's probably not
necessary if you have fatty enough beef.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@NorseFeathers said:
Masterbuilt makes affordable (compared to offset) gravity charcoal smokers but I'm not sure on the reliabilty longterm with those. I mean if a master built them they can't be terrible, right?
And yes to smashburgers! Super good. I put the cast iron on the grill and do them on there. My Green Mountain only gets up to 550 so that might not be quite as hot as an oven burner, I'm not sure, but like Maroon said-- doing it outside is a lot less mess/doesn't stink out the house (Sadly the only ventilation we have is from the microwave above the stove. Hope to have a big range hood someday but don't currently).
I'll have to look into Grilla. Thanks for the rec, HV. Bummer about the Daniel Boone crapping out. Hopefully it lasted a long time for you at least.
My GMDB was older but I got it for free.  I had to replace a few parts, but the last one was the entire auger assembly.  I got it all setup and working ready for my Christmas day ribs.  I turned it on and it all seemed fine.  I checked 15 minutes later and it was turned off.  When I attempted to turn it on again, I had a heat sensor error and the auger motor that I just installed fried out again.  That thing went immediately to the curb, and I got a new one a month later.The Silverbac is double walled stainless so it can be used in the winter without the insulated blanket.  The bottom wagon wheels and handle are great for wheeling it around the yard and transporting.  It's on-line sales only, but they have great customer support.  So far, so good!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Anything running on charcoal,  drums, eggs or other ceramics,whatever,  look into this setup,  basically what PF was talking about,  just a little more here.

Signals is app controlled via wifi and will operate a remote combustion fan, the Billows product that PF mentioned.  It has 4 probes,  1 for the fan and smoke chamber,  and 3 for meat or whatever.   They have adapters to fit various cooker setups.  I also use their thermopens,  I have probably bought close to 10 of them so I have them everywhere and give as gifts.  Get the new thermopoen one,  it's got a backlit display and wakes up with movement , as well as a rotating display.

I still use my UDS , drum smokers, as they always seem to make pretty damn good meat,  but they got even better and easier with the electrics listed above  
I tried the Signals, sent it back. It's wifi which I could never get to work consistently. The Smoke X, which is also Thermoworks, works on long range RF signals and works every time and there's nothing to setup. The only difference is the Signals works with your cell phone, when it works, and the Smoke X you have to use the included receiver to see the cook and meat temps. And something to consider, Thermoworks has a strict return policy though they did take back the Signals. I think connectivity is a common problem. But whether you use the Signals or Smoke X, you're right, it's a game changer and can make the total cook hassle free.

I also tried the Char-Griller 980 gravity feed charcoal smoker. Love the concept and the price, around $600 at the time, but it was too cheaply made to hold a consistent temp. Ended up giving it away.

Quote: @NorseFeathers said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I tried the Signals, sent it back. It's wifi which I could never get to work consistently. The Smoke X, which is also Thermoworks, works on long range RF signals and works every time and there's nothing to setup. The only difference is the Signals works with your cell phone, when it works, and the Smoke X you have to use the included receiver to see the cook and meat temps. And something to consider, Thermoworks has a strict return policy though they did take back the Signals. I think connectivity is a common problem. But whether you use the Signals or Smoke X, you're right, it's a game changer and can make the total cook hassle free.
How long ago did you try rhe signals?  I've had mine a couple years and haven't had an issue except when we changed router locations so it got wonky,  I bought a wifi gizmo to mount outside and that should fix the issue.   We will see.