Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fields to Steelers
Compensation sounds about right,  I still wouldn't have wanted him,  but that is more inline for a player that has never really shown that he can play his position. 

I think it's a sound move by the Steelers. They get an experienced backup QB on the cheap, $3.2M this year, with a 5th year option for next ($25M), which surely will not be exercised but it gives the Steelers an inside look to determine if he's got enough potential to try and re-sign him with a more team friendly contract after the 2024 season.

Oh and just so we don't forget how stupid the TV sports talking heads are: Mel Kiper said Atlanta might be very interested to give up the #8 pick overall for Fields at the end of January. 

[Image: lolol-lmao.gif]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Oh and just so we don't forget how stupid the TV sports talking heads are: Mel Kiper said Atlanta might be very interested to give up the #8 pick overall for Fields at the end of January. 

Yep and it wasn't just him, even Adam Schefter was speculating they could get a 1st or 2nd for Fields back in January.  I think once teams got together at the combine, the Bears realized there wasn't a robust trade market for Fields.  Most of the teams who were "potential" options signed veteran QBs as soon as FA opened. The trade comp seems about right for Fields and was a good move by the Steelers.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

The amount of perpetual b.s. generated about Fields' worth, his likely destination, and his alleged ability as a qb is mind-blowing.  It's like a collective delusion or something.   The reality has hit home for the dreamers - a 6th next year which is the equivalent of a 7th now.   That's about one step above just giving him away for nothing.

Five qb's went in Fields' draft class in the top 15 and 4 are basically worthless, with only Trevor Lawrence being a mid-tier level starter at this point (and he was hyped as some sort of "generational" guy).   You have to wonder how this year's hyped class will turn out.  History tells us that only one or two of the alleged "top 6" guys will actually have good careers.  

Kwesi got as much for Velderian Lowe as Poles got for Fields.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
Kwesi got as much for Velderian Lowe as Poles got for Fields.
Strange but true. Just more evidence that what NFL execs think of players is often very very different than what fans think. 

Well Pittsburgh just traded Pickett to Philly so Fields slides in as either a high-end backup or he could beat out Russ and put the nail in his career. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/stat...YmRmNsns0A&s=19
So.... start Russ for 9 games, bench him, then bring in Fields for his audition for 2025 to make sure Fields doesn't hit the PT mark.  I see you Pittsburgh  Wink

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
Well Pittsburgh just traded Pickett to Philly so Fields slides in as either a high-end backup or he could beat out Russ and put the nail in his career. 
My $ is on Tomlin holding an open competition this TC