Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilkins and Vikings: strong and mutual interest
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I have a dream:

Forget drafting a QB. Sign Cousins to 3 years, sign Hunter, trade for Zach Wilson as QB2, sign Wilkins, draft Jared Verse at 11, Braden Fiske at 42 and Trey Benson at 107 and go win a Super Bowl in '24. BFlo front 7 features: Hunter, Wilkins, Fiske, Verse and Pace. 

[Image: tenor.gif]
If Kirk is resigned, even for 2 years, the plan should look a lot like what you’ve laid out. No reason to bring Kirk back then get cheap on FAs and use picks to plan for life beyond Kirk. It’d be incongruous. 

If Kirk would just take $20M per for 3 years I am sure they would do that in a heart beat.  Sign Wilkins, resign Hunter, draft DE in the 1st.

But he's not about the Vikings, he is about Kirk and will go to Atlanta for $15 more per year and be perpetually a wild card contender

Flores drafted Wilkins.  They are both known for having take no shit attitudes.  Get that man here and add him to Danielle.  

Don't STOP, see if you can get a Huff or Autry for the other edge or maybe Calais Campbell to play RDE

If you are not spending big money on a QB, you better be spending big money on taking out the opposing QB.  We need a DE and DT and to resign Hunter

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
If Kirk would just take $20M per for 3 years I am sure they would do that in a heart beat.  Sign Wilkins, resign Hunter, draft DE in the 1st.

But he's not about the Vikings, he is about Kirk and will go to Atlanta for $15 more per year and be perpetually a wild card contender
I suspect he is going to get closer $45mm per with the cap increasing and what danny dimes got. 

How that plays out in guarantees and structure remains to be seen.

In the interim, the Vikings can shop for a bridge QB at some super center I imagine.  Wink

Just sayin,

If Hunter walks and Vikings sign Wilkins or any player to a similar contract  the Vikings won't receive a compensatory picks.

According to Dan Graziano, the Lions and Texans are also expected to make a run at Wilkins. He will certainly have suitors he can play off each other.

Would I like Wilkins, yes, but he will be 29 this year, really was a pretty average player before he broke out last season with 9 sacks, and he's kind of a goofball. I actually think there is some talent at DT in this year's draft, and might prefer to go that route over backing up the Brinks truck for Wilkins, but we'll see what the analytics say...

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
According to Dan Graziano, the Lions and Texans are also expected to make a run at Wilkins. He will certainly have suitors he can play off each other.

Would I like Wilkins, yes, but he will be 29 this year, really was a pretty average player before he broke out last season with 9 sacks, and he's kind of a goofball. I actually think there is some talent at DT in this year's draft, and might prefer to go that route over backing up the Brinks truck for Wilkins, but we'll see what the analytics say...
I think MN will end up being one of the top 2-3 suitors for him once the market opens. Finding a difference maker, up front is a high priority on their list. Like all of these deals the Vikings negotiate, it'll come down to guarantee structure. I don't think they'd bat an eye paying him $24-$25M a year but will want it structured as a 2+1 which is sometimes tough with open market guys. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I think MN will end up being one of the top 2-3 suitors for him once the market opens. Finding a difference maker, up front is a high priority on their list. Like all of these deals the Vikings negotiate, it'll come down to guarantee structure. I don't think they'd bat an eye paying him $24-$25M a year but will want it structured as a 2+1 which is sometimes tough with open market guys. 
Both Houston and Detroit have more available cap space than Minnesota and are more attractive from a contender standpoint. I think we'd have to grossly overpay to get him if it came down to a bidding war, and at what expense would that cost us when it came to addressing other positions of need? Would I like to have Wilkins, yes...but...

I don't think Wilkins is anywhere worth the money he is going to get, he is not in the Chris Jones league, not close, good DT, but he doesn't take over the game like some of the really dominant DTs do.  

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Both Houston and Detroit have more available cap space than Minnesota and are more attractive from a contender standpoint. I think we'd have to grossly overpay to get him if it came down to a bidding war, and at what expense would that cost us when it came to addressing other positions of need? Would I like to have Wilkins, yes...but...
Winning matters, but its not the only consideration for guys. Who you play for/with (Flores) and amenities (which the Vikings have plenty of) matter just as much if not more. Can't say what Wilkins prefers. But MN can play competitively on the FA market. If Kirk returns I think you could argue their path to competitiveness. Especially if they trade for a CB.