Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bradbury a potential cut candidate?
There are a lot of needs no doubt but center is still another one 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
We have so many needs that have piled up now, saving $4.65mm on a position that you then have to go and find a replacement for that is significantly better, I just don't see it.  Right now, I see so many positions on D with bigger question marks, specifically the D line (DT/Edge).  Plus now clear questions at RB, certainly at QB.  This is one of the biggest "I have no idea what they're gonna do" offseasons that I remember.  All while the other three NFC N teams have improved.
I don't think we should release him without having a replacement in mind. And that has to be a veteran. There were two centers released this week in cost-cutting moves, both of whom graded a little bit better than Bradbury and don't have back problems. So I could see that route. Vikings have plenty of money.

Another option is Austin Schlottmann, who was actually pretty good in relief. His pass blocking graded even better than Bradbury. Just don't ask him to run block. Same with Risner. 

What we can't do is assume we're going to draft an upgrade. That's just stupid. We could get a helluva lot worse than we were with Bradbury if that's what we do. A hot name among centers in the draft last year was John Michael Schmitz. He was the worst center in the NFL last year. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
We have so many needs that have piled up now, saving $4.65mm on a position that you then have to go and find a replacement for that is significantly better, I just don't see it.  Right now, I see so many positions on D with bigger question marks, specifically the D line (DT/Edge).  Plus now clear questions at RB, certainly at QB.  This is one of the biggest "I have no idea what they're gonna do" offseasons that I remember.  All while the other three NFC N teams have improved.
I don't think we should release him without having a replacement in mind. And that has to be a veteran. There were two centers released this week in cost-cutting moves, both of whom graded a little bit better than Bradbury and don't have back problems. So I could see that route. Vikings have plenty of money.

Another option is Austin Schlottmann, who was actually pretty good in relief. His pass blocking graded even better than Bradbury. Just don't ask him to run block. Same with Risner. 

What we can't do is assume we're going to draft an upgrade. That's just stupid. We could get a helluva lot worse than we were with Bradbury if that's what we do. A hot name among centers in the draft last year was John Michael Schmitz. He was the worst center in the NFL last year. 

I just don’t see how we could possibly draft a center for
this year unless we get lucky.  We
certainly can’t afford a premium pick on a position that is already relatively
decent compared to almost every position on defense, and by the time you get to
a round where it makes sense, you aren’t talking about an immediate starter.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

Agree. It will either be Bradbury, Schlottmann or a veteran acquisition of some sort. We can, and likely will, draft a center on day three, but you're not going to get a starter there. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

its one of the deepest OL drafts in a while, there is a lot of quality available,  better off to prioritize a glaring need at a critical position and if it doesnt work out maybe you get an upgrade at OG as opposed to burning a pick on a corner or LB that has no other discernable position to help the team.  I agree we need a lot of help,  but getting a center that  can get a little push or anchor a pass rush would be wonderful considering its been about 15 years since we had a consistent quality C to really make the OL work.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

its one of the deepest OL drafts in a while, there is a lot of quality available,  better off to prioritize a glaring need at a critical position and if it doesnt work out maybe you get an upgrade at OG as opposed to burning a pick on a corner or LB that has no other discernable position to help the team.  I agree we need a lot of help,  but getting a center that  can get a little push or anchor a pass rush would be wonderful considering its been about 15 years since we had a consistent quality C to really make the OL work.
Bradbury might be more "serviceable" with a young mobile QB, but if they bring back Cousins, you definitely need someone who can anchor and pass protect. Bradbury can't do either. 

Center isn’t a glaring need. 
We need need 2 starting edge rushers with one of them being a
stud or better.  We need need
another starting CB.  We need to
get a starting RB.  We really should
pick up our QBOTF.  We really should
upgrade our IDL.  We could use an
upgrade at C.

With our limited draft capital, I just don’t see how we get
a starting center out of the draft.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

Not understanding the "this guy sucked so the same thing will happen to us" logic.  

Identify need, identify position strength/depth/actual production as it pertains to the current draft options and make moves accordingly.  Basically everything Kwesi didn't do his first draft.

Quote: @"VikingIowA" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

Not understanding the "this guy sucked so the same thing will happen to us" logic.  

Identify need, identify position strength/depth/actual production as it pertains to the current draft options and make moves accordingly.  Basically everything Kwesi didn't do his first draft.
i am not following what you are not understanding in my statement.  if we take a day 2 center and he doesnt work out at C,  maybe he is still a decent OG for us ( also an area that needs improvment,  if they go defense at CB, LB, or some other more specialized positions and they dont cut it,  then there isnt really a fall back position.  ( maybe you get a DL that can be serviceable at another DL spot that you didnt draft them for.

Center isn’t a glaring need. 
We need need 2 starting edge rushers with one of them being a
stud or better.  We need need
another starting CB.  We need to
get a starting RB.  We really should
pick up our QBOTF.  We really should
upgrade our IDL.  We could use an
upgrade at C.

With our limited draft capital, I just don’t see how we get
a starting center out of the draft.
IMO you dont draft for need or you end up in a mess,  if they havent addressed those areas of glaring need in FA,  then they are setting the 24 season up for failure,  its nice to get players at position of need in the draft,  but to count on it is well.... hope, and we have covered "hope as a tactic" all offseason.  especially if they bring Cousins back,  if you invest that kind of coin into an aging veteran you better be doing all you can to get the most out of these last couple years.  this toe in the water approach is getting stale.