Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft: If it's not a QB..?
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/sim/3-3035

Heres one i did yesterday with Turner there at 11

well crap Shemar returned to A&M 

I think the only way this should not be a QB is if we extend Cousins for two years or more. It's possible.

If that's the case, it means we're going for it. And if that's the case, I think you have to pay Hunter, bring in at least one 1st-tier free agent for the front five, and draft either another Edge or a pass rushing DT. Because if we pay Hunter, it's not likely we'll pay Wonnum. A 26-year-old edge coming off 8 sacks is going to get a decent pay day from someone. 

Danielle Hunter—Justin Madubuike (FA)—Harrison Phillips—Jaq Roy—Jared Verse (D1) looks pretty good to me. Verse, Newton, Turner, Latu...all look like good value picks in the 10-15 range. 

A lot of the mocks I've seen have us selecting Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson at pick #11. To me, it about has to be a QB unless the Vikings brain trust is sure a QB they desire is there in the 2nd round, or maybe trade back into the late 1st round to get him.

Quote: @NorseFeathers said:
A lot of the mocks I've seen have us selecting Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson at pick #11. To me, it about has to be a QB unless the Vikings brain trust is sure a QB they desire is there in the 2nd round, or maybe trade back into the late 1st round to get him.

I wouldn't draft a CB on Day 1 or 2. Although CB is a need, we have a lot of youth in the room already. We're best served to sign a CB in FA & draft another on Day 3.

To me it has to be a QB of the future, but if not, I target an edge or even better a disruptive pass rushing DT. We desperately need a guy who can make opposing QB’s uncomfortable by collapsing the pocket through the middle. I haven’t looked at the DT’s yet, but I’m wondering if there’s a Kevin Williams type available? 
We don’t need WR, but I get the desire. There are some great prospects this year. I would go all defense though for probably the first two picks. Edge/DT/ or Linebacker. Corner only if there’s a value opportunity. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@NorseFeathers said:

I wouldn't draft a CB on Day 1 or 2. Although CB is a need, we have a lot of youth in the room already. We're best served to sign a CB in FA & draft another on Day 3.
Agree. I think you run it back with what we've got. Murphy, Evans, Blackmon and Booth.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
WR is the last position we should target in the first, unless at were to move JJ.  Even then I would question its need.  Teams are finding solid WR talent in day 2 and even 3, its getting easier and easier to find quality at the position, much like RB.

If not QB we need to target a new GM, and then grab IDL or IOL,  most likely in a trade down,   but it really needs to be a bold move for a QB of their liking if the stakes aren't stupid.
Lol, I like how you slipped that in there Jimmy…!  Wink B)  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
WR is the last position we should target in the first, unless at were to move JJ.  Even then I would question its need.  Teams are finding solid WR talent in day 2 and even 3, its getting easier and easier to find quality at the position, much like RB.

If not QB we need to target a new GM, and then grab IDL or IOL,  most likely in a trade down,   but it really needs to be a bold move for a QB of their liking if the stakes aren't stupid.
I have a feeling that it will be a 3 year deal for Cousins all guaranteed of course. I agree that it would be a good time to trade up and get a top prospect, but why waste it in this scenario and in two years when the house gets cleaned hopefully the Wilfs learn and hire a real president of football operations and build the team with a Young QB.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I have a feeling that it will be a 3 year deal for Cousins all guaranteed of course. I agree that it would be a good time to trade up and get a top prospect, but why waste it in this scenario and in two years when the house gets cleaned hopefully the Wilfs learn and hire a real president of football operations and build the team with a Young QB.
So I'm trying to get this straight: The current HC/GM won 13 games their first season. They lost their starting QB in Season 2, along with a lot of other injuries, and still fought almost to the end to make the playoffs. Yet the 'house will get cleaned' in 2 years?? I guess its an opinion, but where is the logic to it? It just sounds like ridiculous fan babble to me.