Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal game thoughts
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"minny65" said:
This:

Even if the Vikings make the playoffs, they aren’t going to win more than one. Some have been spouting this since week one. Without Cousins or some kind of messianic backup, they're now actually right. I think the Vikings are still mathematically alive for a pick in the top 10. They won’t do it, but it might be time to see some Hall. If he fails, we pick higher. If he lights it up, maybe we use that pick on something other than QB. Either way, it might be nice to know what we have there.
I wrote this last week and a bunch of posters criticized me saying that if you have a chance to be in the playoffs you play Mullens because you want to build a winning culture.
No, go back and read it. The bunch of posters (me) asked if you understood why a team in playoff contention can't and won't ever think that way. And that fact remains. Regardless of what I might want, or you might want, the Vikings will continue to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win....until they're mathematically eliminated. 

And building a winning culture is part of that thought process.

Did anyone really believe this team was going to win 10 games when KC went down?

All the angst over this call or that call is just minutia, IMO the big pix is this team is about 7-9 wins (tops) once they lost their starting qb. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Did anyone really believe this team was going to win 10 games when KC went down?

All the angst over this call or that call is just minutia, IMO the big pix is this team is about 7-9 wins (tops) once they lost their starting qb. 
I hear you, but at the same time they could have easily done this. EASILY. They've pissed games away. That's the hard part of this to swallow. Despite that huge challenge of not having your starting QB, they've been in every single game. That's good coaching, despite the 'hang KOC' crowd. His play calling at times isn't beyond reproach but he's had a ton of shit to deal with. Fans are going to fan.....some of these same fans last year were awfully quiet as the team went to 13 wins. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I hear you, but at the same time they could have easily done this. EASILY. They've pissed games away. That's the hard part of this to swallow. Despite that huge challenge of not having your starting QB, they've been in every single game. That's good coaching, despite the 'hang KOC' crowd. His play calling at times isn't beyond reproach but he's had a ton of shit to deal with. Fans are going to fan.....some of these same fans last year were awfully quiet as the team went to 13 wins. 
Its the Viking way @StickyBun
 the Viking way  :p

@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

We'll never have any nice things in Vikingland, will we PF? A couple of old dogs like you and I are going to be dead and buried with zero Superbowl trophies. 

[Image: zooey-deschanel-nod.gif]

What Minnesota should have done on the 3rd and short and then the failed 4th and short was brought Dobbs in like they do Taysom Hill. Would have shocked them, guaranteed and almost guaranteed a 1st down with Dobbs needing a yard....you won't stop him. 
They couldn't, he was the emergency QB

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

We'll never have any nice things in Vikingland, will we PF? A couple of old dogs like you and I are going to be dead and buried with zero Superbowl trophies. 

Could very well be...That hard possibility was solidified in my mind when I buried both my in-laws the last 3 years.

Both were hard-core Vikefans since 61 and never got a just reward for their loyalty. That could very well be us. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Could very well be...That hard possibility was solidified in my mind when I buried both my in-laws the last 3 years.

Both were hard-core Vikefans since 61 and never got a just reward for their loyalty. That could very well be us. 

This is my belief too 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

We have to love unconditionally. Its the only path as a long time Viking's fan. Because 'deserves' don't mean shit in fandom. I stay close, I look at the bright side but I also am ready to pull the rip cord way, WAY earlier than ever. Mathematical elimination is where I live now.  :p

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
What Minnesota should have done on the 3rd and short and then the failed 4th and short was brought Dobbs in like they do Taysom Hill. Would have shocked them, guaranteed and almost guaranteed a 1st down with Dobbs needing a yard....you won't stop him. 
If you are going to do the obvious,   then load up for obvious,   sub in somebody at center that can get some push or at least hold his own,  Bradbury is not the answer there,  get somebody that can actually get some push,  I dont know if Dobbs was that guy,  but since he was QB3 yesterday he wasn't eligible,   but there has to be somebody else on that roster with lower body strength and can take a snap,  and lastly,  get Ham or somebody, again with lower body strength,   to do that pushing of thats what you want to do.... or maybe just get creative and play to your offensive strengths and not your weaknesses. 

That was a complete failure by KOC,  and really sours a nice start to the game for me.
How about Oliver and Ham; at least line it up like the Eagles with two players directly behind the QB.  It is insane that KOC is now defending it.
I thought Oliver,  but then wondered if he could get his pads low enough to be effective.  In blocking play its often not as much about size or power as it is leverage,  low man wins.
If they only had somebody like Randall McDaniel when he used line up in the backfield on short yardage situations.