Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you want Kirk Cousins to return in 2024?
For less than $15M per year an only $5M in 2024 (dead cap hit already on the team)

36 immobile QB coming back from an achilles injury?  Better be cheap.

Keeping Flores at DC PLUS a strong DT and DL FA addition in 2024, a young QB (Hall, Dobbs, 1st Round pick) can take this roster to the playoffs

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
For less than $15M per year an only $5M in 2024 (dead cap hit already on the team)

Keeping Flores at DC PLUS a strong DT and DL FA addition in 2024, a young QB (Hall, Dobbs, 1st Round pick) can take this roster to the playoffs
Nothing is going to be cheap. He’ll get an incentive laden contract but if he plays well he should get paid for it. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"Skodin" said:

Nothing is going to be cheap. He’ll get an incentive laden contract but if he plays well he should get paid for it. 
ive got no problem with that,  its the mercenary approach he has taken to date that makes me think,  just move on,  but in reality he is really great person,  apparently a really great locker room leader, and as such he has earned the chance to keep his job and his money,  but not at the sake of future years cap,  we need to start living in the now and leaving some money for future teams or we will always be just a bit short.

Hold.  Kirk is Kirk, which we have seen every year since he joined our team.  Just like every year, he has statistically great games, poor games and mediocre games. This year isn't much different based on the the first 8 games.  I see so many assuming this year, with Kirk healthy, was our year???  Who truly believes we were going to get into the playoffs and Kirk was going to pull a Kurt Warner?  I still feel the heavy breathing, butt clinching Kirk was eventually going to present itself IF we got to the playoffs.  I don't care how he was performing...he in know way has ever looked like, performed like or exude the persona of previous superbowl winning QBs.  We need to move on IMO and I see his injury as an opportunity to do just that.  See what we have with Jaren or Dobbs, look to the draft, etc.

My thought is that you don't move on from QBs like Kirk Cousins. You keep them for as long as possible. And the Vikings, with Jefferson and Addison forming what will probably be the best receiving duo in the NFL, are going to be very excited about what a Cousins-led offense is capable of in 2024. 

Unless Hall plays out of his mind over the next several weeks, the Vikings are going to draft a QB in the spring. And they will not hobble that potentially great offense by giving its reigns to a rookie or a 2nd year 5th round QB. It will be Cousins...if they can come to an agreement. 

But therein lies the rub. Cousins won't get top of market money because of the injury. But there are going to be several teams willing to offer Cousins close to it. I think he'll take less to stay in Minnesota, but it has to be reasonably close. People suggesting we can get him for $15M per are just being silly. 

I think a two-year, $40M per, fully guaranteed contract could do it. That would move him from 15th to tied for 10th in APY with Stafford, Jones and Prescott. But nowhere near the $50+/per salary the top QBs are getting. A bargain if you ask me.

Assuming he can fully recover, yah I'd like him back. 

Ideally for a couple more seasons and to let a qbotf curate a while @ TCO. 

What would nuke that is if another team decides to do something crazy contract wise or Hall just blows-up for 8 games. 

If he is healthy then yes. It's pretty wild to see the pendulum swing between move on and keep him. We have to see what happens the rest of the season to know where the Vikings will be draftwise as well. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"Skodin" said:

ive got no problem with that,  its the mercenary approach he has taken to date that makes me think,  just move on,  but in reality he is really great person,  apparently a really great locker room leader, and as such he has earned the chance to keep his job and his money,  but not at the sake of future years cap,  we need to start living in the now and leaving some money for future teams or we will always be just a bit short.
Agreed.  We have not seen enough from him to believe he is the guy who is going to win 3 to 4 straight playoff games to get to a championship.  If he's not that guy, how do you keep him for more than $20M per year when you have JJ, Darrisaw, Hunter, TJ, who with another QB leading the team, can?

He needs to take a pay cut and honor what the team has done for him.  He's not at a level to elevate a team with less to a championship so we need to build around him.  That takes money.  If he's not going to do that, then it is time to move on and try with a young guy who is going to cost significantly less.  Extend the lifespan of the young stars you have now.

Oddly I think how the team responds with Hall or Dobbs is going to show a lot.  I believe this team still wins 10 games this year, call me crazy but if they do with Hall, the choice is clear.  Go young and cheap and stash them on a roster with key studs, using the Cousins money to add 2 good to great guys for the DL (which is the only thing holding this defense back from being top 10)

There cannot be a “no trade” clause.  second year is incentive laiden.

This time the Vikings need to dictate the terms (negotiable) but if Cousin’s make demands, the Vikings say thanks but no thanks.

Jefferson does

[Image: gxam0vw3csyh.jpg]