Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: So pending the result Sunday in Green Bay....
I hope we wait until the off season to improve the D personnel.  The vets
being traded mid season may not really help without a few weeks of
learning a new scheme anyway.  Wonnum , Jones, and Davenport may not be
probowlers, but they are making big plays at times.  Wonnum is
especially playing well right now, I think. 

I'm somewhat ok with losing Flores (not preferred) as long as they put in someone that will have the D play aggressively. 

Vikings will trade for at least 1 defensive player.

Unsure it'll be Sweat or Young, but it will be someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_...ft_history

Vikings have drafted  a total of 0 impact defensive players  since 2015.

If Kwesi trades for a really good defender it will set off the defense  the same way trading for Hockenson did last year on offense.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
 Vikings will trade for at least 1 defensive player.

Unsure it'll be Sweat or Young, but it will be someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_...ft_history

Vikings have drafted  a total of 0 impact defensive players  since 2015.

If Kwesi trades for a really good defender it will set off the defense  the same way trading for Hockenson did last year on offense.
That's awesome work there.

It is highly unlikely that this team is a player or two aways from making a run at a Super Bowl.  After the previous two off seasons, we are going to really need to have a strong draft next year and so does not seem to be the right move to trade picks.  I also do not trust our GM to be on the favorable end of any trade.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wait, less than a week ago I said that right now the Vikings were sellers, but that could change--not that it would, not that it was likely, only that it could--and you called me a whole list of names. LOL. 

I think it's about how we play in Green Bay. If we put up another Panther or Bears type performance, I don't see it. But if we go in and dominate, then the team will be drooling over the prospect of getting back JJ and Davenport and I could maybe see them looking at the idea. 

But I still think it's unlikely. I think the Vikings go down the stretch with the team they have. Vikings don't want to put too much money into 2024 with so many pending contracts. 
The odds of the Vikings 'dominating' Green Bay is extremely low. 
The Packers aren't very good. But winning road games against division rivals following a big, emotional victory at home...is tough. 

on a short week also.

The most Viking thing ever:
Beat SF on MNF then lose to the Packers...

Quote: @JR44 said:
It is highly unlikely that this team is a player or two aways from making a run at a Super Bowl.  After the previous two off seasons, we are going to really need to have a strong draft next year and so does not seem to be the right move to trade picks.  I also do not trust our GM to be on the favorable end of any trade.
This is a good point. We don't have many picks we can afford to part with, especially if the braintrust is targeting QB.

Most likely the Commodes will keep 1 of those guys, probably Sweat. Vikings need to accumulate picks not shed them… 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

I think there exists the possibility that you are looking at
bringing in Young or Sweat to replace Hunter for next year and going
forward.  I could see Kwesi looking at
Hunter and thinking that he’s going to be too old and too expensive and wanting
to let him go, so you go out and his replacement now under the assumption that
he’ll be cheaper and/or younger than Hunter. 
I also don’t really know the rules, but maybe if you lose Hunter and bring
in a cheaper but still expensive edge, they might offset for comp picks, but if
you bring him in this year, that’s still on the table?  The bonus for this year would be that our
defense should be markedly better if we have 2 capable edges, and I’m not sure
how much we can trust Davenport to stay healthy.

I think there’s some amount of risk in that Flores might be
out after the year and we might bring in a guy that may or may not be a fit for
the next DC’s scheme.
Losing Flores is definitely a worry. If the defense continues to improve, he'll get some HC attention. If that happens, it might be better to promote an understudy than go out and find a new DC with a new scheme. 
Do you really think so?  With the coaches resigning and his history, I think he will be safe as DC for a while.