Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TNF Kickoff: anyone else a little concerned?
Quote: @wiviking said:
Until they prove otherwise, they are still the Lions. Rebuilding since 1957.
That is my thought as well.  Yes their offense looked good last year, but some of their stats came against the _onatell scheme, so that skews it quite a bit.  

Remember who they have as a head coach and the office that brought him there.  I expect another new coaching staff in detroit in 2024 or 2025.

I think they are the Lions---no two seasons play out the same other than abject mediocrity and despair.  One good season won't change my opinion of them.  They probably return to their mean in playing results.

We do have that 1969 NFL Championship so their is that. Wink

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
We do have that 1969 NFL Championship so their is that. Wink
Yeah, one year before they changed it to the "Super Bowl"...but, Minnesota did beat the crap out of Cleveland...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@prairieghost said:
Put it this way…if somehow, maybe not this year…well…it could be ANY year, truthfully…but if somehow the Lions win a Superbowl before the Vikings I may have to pick up my damn ball and go home permanently  Confused

Seriously, if the Lions win the Superbowl before we do, then my whole NFL fandom was a lifelong act of futility, with the only redemption being multiple Superbowl wins to heal the wound of them getting one before us. After all, they have been the doormat of our division since the beginning and it just goes against science, nature, and religion for it to be otherwise….I know im not the only one who feels this way, right guys?? Confused Confused :# :#
That's not the way I think as a Viking fan, but I hear where you're coming from. 
Truth be told, Maroon, it’s not really how I think, either Wink (the I’d pick up my ball and stop being a fan part). I have watched and been a diehard fan of this team since I was a 6-year-old kiddo…the other portion, though, about the Lions possibly winning before we do…that’s definitely how I feel lol…I will 100% own that one.

I also don’t want to break our tie with the Bills: the most Superbowl appearances without a win thingy. So, I will always cheer against the Bills for that reason…the whole Diggs debacle certainly adds to that spicy pie too, though…

Yes, I can be a petty b**** when it comes to football :p

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@MaroonBells said:
@prairieghost said:
Put it this way…if somehow, maybe not this year…well…it could be ANY year, truthfully…but if somehow the Lions win a Superbowl before the Vikings I may have to pick up my damn ball and go home permanently  Confused

Seriously, if the Lions win the Superbowl before we do, then my whole NFL fandom was a lifelong act of futility, with the only redemption being multiple Superbowl wins to heal the wound of them getting one before us. After all, they have been the doormat of our division since the beginning and it just goes against science, nature, and religion for it to be otherwise….I know im not the only one who feels this way, right guys?? Confused Confused :# :#
That's not the way I think as a Viking fan, but I hear where you're coming from. 
Truth be told, Maroon, it’s not really how I think, either Wink (the I’d pick up my ball and stop being a fan part). I have watched and been a diehard fan of this team since I was a 6-year-old kiddo…the other portion, though, about the Lions possibly winning before we do…that’s definitely how I feel lol…I will 100% own that one.

I also don’t want to break our tie with the Bills: the most Superbowl appearances without a win thingy. So, I will always cheer against the Bills for that reason…the whole Diggs debacle certainly adds to that spicy pie too, though…

Yes, I can be a petty b**** when it comes to football :p

I don't blame any Viking fan for feeling that way, Prairie. Personally, I just don't think I'd care too much if the Lions got one before us. A little maybe. But that's a long-suffering fan base. 

I work with a group of Lions fans based in Detroit. And those guys are almost as pathetic as Viking fans. "We suck. We can't have anything nice. Ever!" I'll point out how good their roster looks and how they might make some noise this year, and they commence with a machine gun blast of self-abuse that would make your head spin. 

Now, the Packers or Bears? That's a different story. 

Quote: @medaille said:
I don’t really care how the Lions do.  I’m much more worried with how the Vikings
do.    As far as other teams winning SBs instead of
us, I’d much rather see fanbases with much heartbreak in their history win as
opposed to a team that’s already had so much success.  Like I don’t really feel like a strong need
to poo-poo the Lions and then watch the Chiefs or Patriots win another one.  The only thing that I think is really gross
is if Love turned out to be good.  That’s
a fanbase that needs a couple decades of middle of the road to bottom of the
barrel QBing.
No shit. I care how the Vikings do as well. But the Lions are a divisional opponent that has gotten a lot better and it will impact the NFCN race.

Nobody in the NFL operates in a vacuum.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
I don’t really care how the Lions do.  I’m much more worried with how the Vikings
do.    As far as other teams winning SBs instead of
us, I’d much rather see fanbases with much heartbreak in their history win as
opposed to a team that’s already had so much success.  Like I don’t really feel like a strong need
to poo-poo the Lions and then watch the Chiefs or Patriots win another one.  The only thing that I think is really gross
is if Love turned out to be good.  That’s
a fanbase that needs a couple decades of middle of the road to bottom of the
barrel QBing.
No shit. I care how the Vikings do as well. But the Lions are a divisional opponent that has gotten a lot better and it will impact the NFCN race.

Nobody in the NFL operates in a vacuum.

If the Vikings are in the ballpark of being SB contenders, it
won’t really matter what the Lions do.  We’ll
still get into the playoffs, just as a WC and not the divisional champion.  We’ll play some games on the road instead of
at home.  I just can’t get excited for
being a midlevel team in a shitty division that needs everything to go right to
not lose out in the first round.  I can’t
get excited for worrying about a team that’s perennially disappointing their
fans on a regular basis.  Just give me a
Vikings team that deserves to be in the playoffs and I’ll be fine wherever the
chips end up.  I just don’t have it in me to be worried about all the
potential permutations on how we can get fucked out of the playoffs right now.

Nope fuck it, I’m a genuine 100% Viking martyr, I’ll cheer for them until the very end! Thank you sir may I have another…!?  Wink B) :p