Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nwangwu
Quote: @"kmillard" said:
I dunno. Can Brandon Powell do what he does? He is just a KR and really doesn't offer much in the backfield. Iowa state found that out.
I agree. Kene is not an NFL RB. But Chandler, not Powell, is the KR if for whatever reason Kene doesn't make the team.

Powell is in a fight with Reagor for one of the last WR spots. I think Powell gets it. As good a camp as Reagor has had, Powell's was even better. And while Reagor played in the final preseason game, Powell didn't even suit up. That says a lot. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"kmillard" said:
I dunno. Can Brandon Powell do what he does? He is just a KR and really doesn't offer much in the backfield. Iowa state found that out.
I agree. Kene is not an NFL RB. But Chandler, not Powell, is the KR if for whatever reason Kene doesn't make the team.

Powell is in a fight with Reagor for one of the last WR spots. I think Powell gets it. As good a camp as Reagor has had, Powell's was even better. And while Reagor played in the final preseason game, Powell didn't even suit up. That says a lot. 
So who's ready to trust Reagor? When he runs the wrong route and causes Kirko to throw an ugly INT, then what? I'll take Powell every day and twice on football Sunday for the last WRer spot. The problem is: who's returning punts?

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"kmillard" said:

So who's ready to trust Reagor? When he runs the wrong route and causes Kirko to throw an ugly INT, then what? I'll take Powell every day and twice on football Sunday for the last WRer spot. The problem is: who's returning punts?

Powell.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"kmillard" said:

Powell.
[Image: R.244f5f5548e3389a41a2a741024f5615?rik=9...ImgRaw&r=0]

Here's a name PA was musing about this am - we dont talk much about him;

DYKES

Kick return??? not going to be many this year.  any fair catch kick is moved to the 25.  The NFL is doing every thing it can to remove the kickoff

Quote: @"rf54" said:
Kick return??? not going to be many this year.  any fair catch kick is moved to the 25.  The NFL is doing every thing it can to remove the kickoff
Seemed we saw KR in the preseason plenty.  If the teams plans are for that then why risk players health in meaningless games?  I didn't think that was on all kickoffs,   just following safeties and on kickoffs where the opposing team has a penalty or some such shit.   They are estimating this will only drop the return rate by about 7%,  so whatever the rule is,  they still expect over 30% of all kickoffs to be returned so the need for a guy that can do it well is still essential. 

I was at a CFL game last week. Love the kickoffs up there. If a team does not return it, 1 point for the kicking team. ( I know the NFL would never do this).

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
Seemed we saw KR in the preseason plenty.  If the teams plans are for that then why risk players health in meaningless games?  I didn't think that was on all kickoffs,   just following safeties and on kickoffs where the opposing team has a penalty or some such shit.   They are estimating this will only drop the return rate by about 7%,  so whatever the rule is,  they still expect over 30% of all kickoffs to be returned so the need for a guy that can do it well is still essential. 
Preseason when young players are trying to make a team?  Teams are constantly looking at the data, i am sure that all their preseason returns are being looked at to determin if the 25 is a better starting point vs returns that 1 in 10 may lead to a longer return... I am just reading the tea leaves, during the regular season there will be less returns, there were less last year and the rule change will lead to less this year.  Last year Kene avg 26.3 yds/return.  Is it worth having a roster spot taken up for one yard?  

Quote: @"rf54" said:
That's a good point about the rule change. But I just don't see many KRs fair catching a kickoff inside the 25. Unlike punts, you usually have some decent runway to make a return.