Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Deal on the Table for JJ?
Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
JJ's camp is going to slow walk this extension for as long as they can. They know that the Vikes are looking to move on from Kirko & they are going to want to know what that plan looks like post Kirko. No matter how great of a WR you are, your production is entirely dependent on your QB.
the Vikings still have him for 2 more years and possible a 3rd if they franchise him,  they are all out of guaranteed money at this point,  so I doubt they want to slow roll this thing,  3 seasons is an eternity in a violent game,  I would guess they are willing participants in the negotiations to get him extended and get back into that guaranteed money column,  not to mention the avg per year increase for this coming season alone would likely be huge,  even if it shows otherwise on paper.  as far as Kirk and JJ,  they know Kirk isnt going to be around much longer,  his replacement isnt going to get settled anytime soon,  so I find it extremely unlikely that will have much bearing in any long term extension.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
JJ's camp is going to slow walk this extension for as long as they can. They know that the Vikes are looking to move on from Kirko & they are going to want to know what that plan looks like post Kirko. No matter how great of a WR you are, your production is entirely dependent on your QB.
the Vikings still have him for 2 more years and possible a 3rd if they franchise him,  they are all out of guaranteed money at this point,  so I doubt they want to slow roll this thing,  3 seasons is an eternity in a violent game,  I would guess they are willing participants in the negotiations to get him extended and get back into that guaranteed money column,  not to mention the avg per year increase for this coming season alone would likely be huge,  even if it shows otherwise on paper.  as far as Kirk and JJ,  they know Kirk isnt going to be around much longer,  his replacement isnt going to get settled anytime soon,  so I find it extremely unlikely that will have much bearing in any long term extension.
I just don’t think there’s any player on their rookie deal
that when given the option between $80M guaranteed and waiting 3 years to hit
free agency is going to be like “lets wait and see how this plays out.”  Like while we all think, he's young and this will last forever, it just takes one gnarly injury to take it all away.

The San Francisco 49ers and defensive end Nick Bosa reportedly agreed to a five-year, $170 million contract extension which includes $122.5 million in guaranteed money, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Here's some other numbers...

I don't agree with this perspective.  I think you see a deal prior to opening day.  Just my opinion.

I think eventually they are looking to move on from Kirko, I dont think thats next year though. Maybe even the next 2 seasons? 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
I think eventually they are looking to move on from Kirko, I dont think thats next year though. Maybe even the next 2 seasons? 
I hope it is no more than one.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
I think they’re going to be trying to find that young stud
QB that is SB capable while also on a rookie contract and then keep kirk here short
1 or 2 year deals until they find that guy or until the wheels fall off.  I don’t think it’s a just dump kirk situation
and then hope for the best in finding the replacement.  If Hall looks amazing, I think they’d let
Kirk go, but anything short of that I think we’d see him back on a 2 year deal.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
QB that is SB capable while also on a rookie contract and then keep kirk here short
1 or 2 year deals until they find that guy or until the wheels fall off.  I don’t think it’s a just dump kirk situation
and then hope for the best in finding the replacement.  If Hall looks amazing, I think they’d let

Agreed. There's just no other way.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:

Agreed. There's just no other way.

Thirded and I’ve been saying move on for two years. But with how the draft has fallen the only QBs we had shots at are Fields, Jones, and Pickett. Personally I’d be excited with two of those guys and I do think the overall roster would make more sense with one of them instead of Kirk, but that’s water under the bridge now. With where we’re at currently, Kirk seems the best option for another year or two if he’ll go for it. Again, he’ll have suitors in the offseason and it makes sense for him to test free agency. If Purdy gets hurt or plays poorly let’s say, then Kirk would likely be on the first train to SF and we’ll be stuck with Nick Mullens and our pants down. Letting him play out part or all of this season without re-signing him makes sense for a lot of reasons, but it’s not risk-free. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:

I think that's exactly it. To their credit, the Vikings do seem to understand what they have in Kirk. And they're not going to simply move on from that until they know they have a viable replacement. And by viable replacement, I don't mean a 1st round draft pick and Jaren Hall. One of them has to show something first.