Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle game observations
The Vikings neither signed a lineman in free agency nor drafted one. Only signing some camp bodies and undrafted rookies will not improve the starting group, but a current free agent could help. Dalton Risner, the former Denver Broncos guard, visited the Vikings last week, but he somehow was allowed to leave the building without a deal.
[Image: USATSI_19437504-edited-788x444.jpg]
Oct 30, 2022; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins (8) and guard Ed Ingram (67) in action during the game against the Arizona Cardinals at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
Ed Ingram, meanwhile, was the only starter of the offensive line to play in the preseason, and it was a disaster. He didn’t look like a starter, not even against the Seahawks’ backups. Nick Mullens was in trouble a few times because of Ingram, and he only played a couple of drives. PFF attributed Ingram with a horrendous pass-blocking grade of 43.6.
After his catastrophic debut season, Ingram should be on a short leash. He was a second-round pick just a year ago, but his draft status isn’t enough to keep him on the field while he ruins drives for the Vikings. Protecting the pocket-passing quarterback should be the front office’s and coaching staff’s priority instead of trying to look better by forcing a high draft pick to play.

It's just crazy to me how much tinkering we are still doing to the roster to make up for draft misses and letting players go we probably shouldn't have. NKeal Harry, Risner, Kareem Hunt, etc. It's reminiscent of last season where after preseason we realized we had nothing on our defensive line and ŵere making trades and signing street guys like Bullard a week before the season started. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
Great to see Evans out there but he took a headshot that was kind of scary but he is going to be one of those that needs to learn to protect himself.

Happy to see Cine out there getting in the mix. Villain and Blackmon were having some good moments. Hall was putrid but part of that is nerves and trying to speed up. Mullens was shaky at times. I like some of the stuff from the defense.

I still think that was a catch by Addison. That Powell dude is tiny but he made some plays.
That scared me too. He's got to learn to hit hard without using his head. A lot of these guys do. 
I know, I was worried about both Cine and Evans on their hits. Hard to believe at this level that they can't lower their heads on a tackle. Fundamental 101 back in the day.

Quote: @TBro said:
@FLVike said:
Many thought Booth was a bad choice when he was drafted. I was upset for trading down and then taking Booth. He did not look good last night.
Ingram, Booth, and Cine all have major question marks and are looking like bad picks by Kwesi. Cine flies around, but he doesn't seem like he is under control. Ingram still looks lost, and Booth hasn't demonstrated any ability that he can be trusted with regular playing time, even if he is healthy. 

It takes 2-3 years to fairly judge a draft, I get it.

But It still pisses me off he traded with Green Bay AND Detroit. 

Quote: @kmillard said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
Great to see Evans out there but he took a headshot that was kind of scary but he is going to be one of those that needs to learn to protect himself.

Happy to see Cine out there getting in the mix. Villain and Blackmon were having some good moments. Hall was putrid but part of that is nerves and trying to speed up. Mullens was shaky at times. I like some of the stuff from the defense.

I still think that was a catch by Addison. That Powell dude is tiny but he made some plays.
That scared me too. He's got to learn to hit hard without using his head. A lot of these guys do. 
I know, I was worried about both Cine and Evans on their hits. Hard to believe at this level that they can't lower their heads on a tackle. Fundamental 101 back in the day.
Tacklers have been trained for the last 15 + years not to lower their heads,  its going to lead to more ugly shots to the head and bad tackles,   but its supposed to prevent spinal injuries.   Youth football has been coaching heads up tackling for quite a while now.  Imo it really gives another huge advantage to the offense and puts defenders in a bad position.

Reagor and Powell looked good. Hopefully one of them can grab the WR#5 spot by the horns (see what I did there) and run with it. 

I was a big proponent of drafting Booth. Thought he'd be an excellent fit as a cover guy. We all knew about the injuries which unfortunately are still creeping up with him, but the dismal play is definitely not what I expected.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@TBro said:
@FLVike said:
Many thought Booth was a bad choice when he was drafted. I was upset for trading down and then taking Booth. He did not look good last night.
Ingram, Booth, and Cine all have major question marks and are looking like bad picks by Kwesi. Cine flies around, but he doesn't seem like he is under control. Ingram still looks lost, and Booth hasn't demonstrated any ability that he can be trusted with regular playing time, even if he is healthy. 

It takes 2-3 years to fairly judge a draft, I get it.

But It still pisses me off he traded with Green Bay AND Detroit. 

Ingram has to be significantly better this year, and against 2nd and 3rd stringers on Thursday he struggled. It says a lot when all the other starters were given the night off but him. They wanted to see if he has fixed his issues before making a decision on Risner or other options. They need to decide pretty quickly what the contingency plan is and make a move. Letting Kirk get crushed again like last year isn't sustainable. Cine and Booth are nothing more than backups until proven otherwise. I don't see either one taking a Starters job except for an injury. 

Cine is going to be a force, watch and see. If Mehki Blackmon turns out to be a player, this secondary is going to be very athletic. Evans, Murphy, Blackmon, Cine and the Hitman....me likey.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Cine is going to be a force, watch and see. If Mehki Blackmon turns out to be a player, this secondary is going to be very athletic. Evans, Murphy, Blackmon, Cine and the Hitman....me likey.
Cine does things that make you go "wow, that's why he was a #1 draft pick." Then he'll do something that makes you cringe. 

A perfect example of both is on a play around left end in the 3rd quarter. Cine shoots through the traffic like a rocket. Hits the back at the line of scrimmage, but doesn't wrap up. Back gets about 5. 

If he can clean up the head-down tackles, he can be a force in Flores's attacking scheme. 

https://t.co/d01xLiIWhe

Chandler touches and pass pro.