Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could have had a franchise QB
When Teddy and Carr squared off against each other in Oakland a couple years ago I thought the Vikes picked the right guy.  Fast forward to now, and it's easy to see Carr would've been the better pick.  Fast forward two years from now, and we again have no clue. 

Hard to predict injuries.  Bradford get player of the week last week, then a mystery knee injury occurs and he's out for who knows how long.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
6 months before the 2014 draft, Bridgewater was being discussed as a potential #1 overall pick. That's a huge attraction to Rick Spielman - he loves drafting guys who were "supposed" to go earlier according to Kiper and the drafting: Sharrif Floyd, TJ Clemmings, Mac Alexander, Dalvin Cook, Bridgewater. Not saying these are all bad, but he loves to hear he got a "steal".
Carr was my guy, but the Teddy pick was a great pick.  The coulda woulda shoulda means nothing.

My dad had a great expression for the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" crowd. 
"If the dog didn't stop to take a s***, he'd have caught the rabbit!"

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
6 months before the 2014 draft, Bridgewater was being discussed as a potential #1 overall pick. That's a huge attraction to Rick Spielman - he loves drafting guys who were "supposed" to go earlier according to Kiper and the drafting: Sharrif Floyd, TJ Clemmings, Mac Alexander, Dalvin Cook, Bridgewater. Not saying these are all bad, but he loves to hear he got a "steal".
You're implying he ignores the scouts and coaches and forces his "Kiper" picks down everyone's throats.  Yet there haven't been mass resignations, everyone at Winter Park just collects a check knowing their efforts mean nothing because on draft day Evil Ricky takes over and screws the pooch!

If we had taken Carr, and he would have had a freak injury blowing out his knee. This thread would be about how we could have had Bridgewater...

Quote: @"wiviking" said:
If we had taken Carr, and he would have had a freak injury blowing out his knee. This thread would be about how we could have had Bridgewater...
Truer words...

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
You're implying he ignores the scouts and coaches and forces his "Kiper" picks down everyone's throats.  Yet there haven't been mass resignations, everyone at Winter Park just collects a check knowing their efforts mean nothing because on draft day Evil Ricky takes over and screws the pooch!
Not saying he ignores the staff or forces a pick: I'm sure many voices are heard. But I think Spielman is the one who advocates for these, for a couple of reasons: one is that they cross all position areas, and second is that these usually require a move up of some kind, so the GM almost has to be the one driving it. 

But yes, I think he plays a bit heavily to the "highly ranked" players in the draft. That can be good because sliding players sometimes really are big values (Moss above all). It can just be dangerous because the team might not have put as much research into a guy they expected would be long gone before they pick.

As for "Evil Ricky", I've never used any form of that name - don't confuse me with my esteemed colleague from the great state of New Jersey.

I hardly think Carr would have had the kind of success he's enjoyed in Oakland had we drafted him. The Raiders have a real good O line and just a better surrounding cast on O, at least up to this point. This year we added some new pieces who hopefully are going to pay dividends, but meanwhile Teddy hasn't been able to play with those guys yet. I think saying Carr would have been a slam dunk better option isn't fair given those facts.

Truthfully, I doubt even Brady or Rogers would have looked good playing for us. Our O line has been beyond brutal.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"comet52" said:
Not saying he ignores the staff or forces a pick: I'm sure many voices are heard. But I think Spielman is the one who advocates for these, for a couple of reasons: one is that they cross all position areas, and second is that these usually require a move up of some kind, so the GM almost has to be the one driving it. 

But yes, I think he plays a bit heavily to the "highly ranked" players in the draft. That can be good because sliding players sometimes really are big values (Moss above all). It can just be dangerous because the team might not have put as much research into a guy they expected would be long gone before they pick.

As for "Evil Ricky", I've never used any form of that name - don't confuse me with my esteemed colleague from the great state of New Jersey.

Maybe they're highly ranked because they're good prospects and sometimes (or a lot of times) players don't live up to expectations?

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I hardly think Carr would have had the kind of success he's enjoyed in Oakland had we drafted him. The Raiders have a real good O line and just a better surrounding cast on O, at least up to this point. This year we added some new pieces who hopefully are going to pay dividends, but meanwhile Teddy hasn't been able to play with those guys yet. I think saying Carr would have been a slam dunk better option isn't fair given those facts.

Truthfully, I doubt even Brady or Rogers would have looked good playing for us. Our O line has been beyond brutal.
it never ceases to amaze me how a simple concept like "team game" eludes so many people when they are talking about what could have been.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
When Teddy and Carr squared off against each other in Oakland a couple years ago I thought the Vikes picked the right guy.  Fast forward to now, and it's easy to see Carr would've been the better pick.  Fast forward two years from now, and we again have no clue. 

Hard to predict injuries.  Bradford get player of the week last week, then a mystery knee injury occurs and he's out for who knows how long.
That's exactly it. Everyone wants to take a snapshot of the present as if that represents the entire picture. It never does. No denying that Carr has been a pretty good QB for as young as he is. But Teddy's arrow was definitely pointing up big time before he got hurt.