Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexing for TNF
Quote: @comet52 said:
What a shitty idea.  Amazon needs placating, apparently.   
It is shitty but it is just business, all they care about is money 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I guess don't make travel plans for any games weeks 13 to 17. 
This...

Was getting ready for the big Vegas weekend trip and now this. 

F'ers

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
so what happens when a venue is already booked for a Thursday event and the NFL decides that they want to hold a game there?

I would imagine those teams won't be eligible then. Beyond that, you aren't going to find many instances of NFL stadiums holding events the Thursday of a home game 

When the NFL took future salary cap funds to cover the losses due to Covid in 2020 this kind of move was assured and certain to happen.

Are the Vikings in any real danger of being flexed to Thursday Night Football?The answer is “probably not”

Week 13 – Bye WeekWell, it’s awfully hard to flex a bye week, so I don’t think we have anything to worry about here.
Week 14 – Minnesota Vikings at Las Vegas RaidersThe Raiders currently have just one Thursday Night game on the schedule, and it’s set for the week after this one when they host the Los Angeles Chargers at the Giant Roomba known as Allegiant Stadium. I don’t know if the league would make the Raiders play on Thursday two weeks in a row and, if we’re being honest, the Raiders aren’t expected to be that good this year, so the appeal is probably limited.
Week 15 – Minnesota Vikings at Cincinnati BengalsThe Bengals also currently have one Thursday Night game on the schedule, as they’ll travel to take on the Baltimore Ravens in Week 11. Of all the Vikings’ games in this stretch of the schedule, this one probably has the most flex potential, given that the Bengals are one of the best teams in the AFC. This is probably going to be the only one worth keeping an eye on.
Week 16 – Detroit Lions at Minnesota VikingsWell, the Lions are a bit of an exception to the rule, as they have three Thursday games on the schedule already: The season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead, a Week 4 matchup at Green Bay, and their traditional Thanksgiving contest at home against Green Bay. Therefore I don’t think this one is eligible to be flexed.
Week 17 – Green Bay Packers at Minnesota VikingsSo far, the Packers have just one Thursday Night game on their schedule as well, the aforementioned Week 4 matchup against Detroit. I don’t know if the Thanksgiving games officially count for the Thursday Night limitation. . .it clearly doesn’t for the Lions. . .so I’m not sure if this game can even be flexed. Then again, the expectation is that everyone outside of Wisconsin (and most folks in Wisconsin) will have forgotten about the Packers by this point in the year, so it likely isn’t that attractive a matchup anyway.
Based on this, it would appear that the Vikings’ chances of being flexed to Thursday Night Football this season are fairly slim. 
Hopefully, after this season, someone in the league offices will realize that this was a dumb rule and rescind it before the 2024 season, but I’m not exactly going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/5/29/23741263/minnesota-vikings-danger-being-flexed-thursday-night-football-2023-nfl-schedule

I understand that 28-day lead time thing. It's for the fans and completely necessary, but it's going to make flexing these games difficult.

For example, Detroit will have already played three Thursday games when they meet the Vikings in week 16, but if the Vikings and Lions are battling for the North title, this is a prime candidate to flex I think. But making that decision a month earlier is what will be hard. The game could loom large when they flex it, but become meaningless by game time. I suspect that will happen more than once. 

Does anyone actually think that they will flex the Lions at Vikings? That will mean we would have ten days to prepare for the Packers which is against every scheduling rule the NFL has.

Why can't they build a Saturday night flex---now that I'd watch
Lead for the actual weekend