Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schedule changes for this season
Oh for dumb.  I find myself caring less each year for the NFL product as a whole.   I still watch the Vikings games,  but due to shit announcers, shitty game times,  and other matters,  I just am not as engaged as I once was,  and these changes will do nothing to address that.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Oh for dumb.  I find myself caring less each year for the NFL product as a whole.   I still watch the Vikings games,  but due to shit announcers, shitty game times,  and other matters,  I just am not as engaged as I once was,  and these changes will do nothing to address that.
I care less now as well, but its mostly because of getting older, more mature (maybe) and just having more perspective on not putting so much emotional energy into the NFL like I did 20+ years ago. As I've mentioned, I'm very fair weather now. I'll turn off a shitty Viking's game and watch Redzone Channel in a nano-second. Some of that is also due to being a jaded, long-suffering fan of the Vikings: its taken a toll. 

Also the realization that you and I aren't the NFL's target demo any longer. They don't cater to us and really don't give a shit about older fans. But that can be said for all professional sports. You age out of it as far as marketing and rules changes go. You're 55+ years old and don't like something the league is doing for the NFL? Yawn. They don't care (although I think you are younger than that, jimmy, if I remember right?).

Regardless, I enjoy the Redzone Channel a ton. Its better for my attention span. But I have the gotten the NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV, so I'll be watching them.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I care less now as well, but its mostly because of getting older, more mature (maybe) and just having more perspective on not putting so much emotional energy into the NFL like I did 20+ years ago. As I've mentioned, I'm very fair weather now. I'll turn off a shitty Viking's game and watch Redzone Channel in a nano-second. Some of that is also due to being a jaded, long-suffering fan of the Vikings: its taken a toll. 

Also the realization that you and I aren't the NFL's target demo any longer. They don't cater to us and really don't give a shit about older fans. But that can be said for all professional sports. You age out of it as far as marketing and rules changes go. You're 55+ years old and don't like something the league is doing for the NFL? Yawn. They don't care (although I think you are younger than that, jimmy, if I remember right?).

Regardless, I enjoy the Redzone Channel a ton. Its better for my attention span. But I have the gotten the NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV, so I'll be watching them.
I wonder if they know who their target market even is anymore. 

Just curious, what’s wrong with the gametimes? Or do you mean TNF? I guess there’s some London games too but I sorta like having the occassional dogcrud 8:30am game to throw on.

Plus as far as football goes, CFB is way more oversaturated than NFL. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Just curious, what’s wrong with the gametimes? Or do you mean TNF? I guess there’s some London games too but I sorta like having the occassional dogcrud 8:30am game to throw on.

ive never liked primetime games,  especially the opening week ones where they have a second game that starts after the first one concludes... I dont even care for 330 games on Sundays.  NFL games should be played at noon on Sunday for my liking.  and definitely dont care for the europe games and their fucked up start times, or Thursday games at any tme except on Thanksgiving, even then the TGday late game... eh, by then I want to decompress and go to bed,  not get wrapped up in another 3 to 4 hours of football.

college is a different beast,  much more regional and specialized fan base IMO, but yes,  its pretty much everywhere,  but until bowl season its pretty much just on Saturdays.  Now college Basketball,  thats stupid how you can always find one of those games on TV,  even if there is nobody watching it in person.

@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:

ive never liked primetime games,  especially the opening week ones where they have a second game that starts after the first one concludes... I dont even care for 330 games on Sundays.  NFL games should be played at noon on Sunday for my liking.  and definitely dont care for the europe games and their fucked up start times, or Thursday games at any tme except on Thanksgiving, even then the TGday late game... eh, by then I want to decompress and go to bed,  not get wrapped up in another 3 to 4 hours of football.

college is a different beast,  much more regional and specialized fan base IMO, but yes,  its pretty much everywhere,  but until bowl season its pretty much just on Saturdays.  Now college Basketball,  thats stupid how you can always find one of those games on TV,  even if there is nobody watching it in person.
Jeez! Noon only?! You are old school haha. Back in your day CFB was Notre Dame games and Army/Navy once a year  :p

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Jeez! Noon only?! You are old school haha. Back in your day CFB was Notre Dame games and Army/Navy once a year  :p
actually before the college game went to big money,  I watched a fair bit of Miami, Fl State, Georgia, of course Notre Dame, Texas, OK, Nebraska,  and USC, UCLA, Stanford,  maybe once in a while some Michigan,  but that was about it.... back when they were still student athletes and not just a stepping stone for a  couple years to the NFL,  and now with transfer portals and NIL... fuck it,  I actually find myself watching more of the lower tier teams now since those kids are less likely out there to showcase for the NFL and may actually be students.

but yeah,   Sunday noon games are my favorite,  both in attendance as well as on TV.

@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Nope they don't care as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line. Hope they are paying attention to the Bud Light fiasco 

@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The ratings and revenue are going like gangbusters.  Unless that changes they will keep on the current course.  

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Nope they don't care as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line. Hope they are paying attention to the Bud Light fiasco 
Thats the one I was thinking of,  they make changes and do things without regards to who they might be pissing off as they try and grab a new demographic.  now this is an extreme comparison, but the base is valid.  The NFL will do what Nascar did 15 years ago,  they were selling out everything their ratings were through the roof,  but they wanted to try and add more and as a result they forgot their base and they went from being the fastest growing spectator sport in the US to something most folks dont even know is even still around.  I dont see the NFL falling that far that fast,  but between youth participation levels declining ( down over 10% in the last decade )  and other things drawing young people away,  you may have a coming generation of kids that dont have parents or friends that love the game,  and that will be when it tips over.